Thoughts on this GTS engine compartment for car I'm buying...pics included

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is on the original MXX3 tires get rid of them.And it has the original plug wires as well.So its due for a tune up also.Don't forget the fuel filter while going over the car.Has it had the frame recall done? and was it done correctly?

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is on the original MXX3 tires get rid of them.And it has the original plug wires as well.So its due for a tune up also.Don't forget the fuel filter while going over the car.Has it had the frame recall done? and was it done correctly?

Are there recommended plugs that everybody is using?

The frame recall hasn't been done yet, so it will be something I need to look into when I get the car here. So looks like I have my work cut out for me:

- Plugs
- New tires (possibly new wheels/tires)
- Fuel filter
- Frame recall
- Oil change
- Coolant flush
- Tranny fluid
- Differential fluid
- Brake fluid
- Power steering fluid
- Detail the crap out of the car

It has a new battery, so no concern on that.

Anything else I should think about? What would a dealership normally charge to do everything (except for tires as I need to figure out what I'm doing with that first)?

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed in the first pic that it does not have any of the aftermarket power steering cap vent/retainer to prevent the cap from coming off. Also consider a new metal power steering pulley and bracket. Contact Big Brake Dave for those.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 1200 degree plug wires that you can find on this site, LOVE THEM they are the best at a good price.
A far as plugs most people here run the factory spec champions.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Up side: low miles. Down side: looks like the owner didn't give a crap about upkeep. It's mostly cosmetic, under the hood anyway, and the rest of the potential issues (fluids, tires, etc) can be overcome.
One thing, the batt. has been replaced, have a look at it. Get the LR wheel off and the cover and see what shape the battery area is in. It's probably OK, but if the car has sat, and with only 6K it has, there is a chance of corrosion going unchecked:( (we've established that the owner doesn't give a crap) things like rusty battery tray, corroded cables/cable ends, plastic wrap and tape disintegrating, batt. temp sensor falling apart, rusty bolts on the lower facia under the tray... Just a thought.
One other thing, the vacuum hose from the manifold to the brake booster, and the one from the IAC to the air box have a sort of white powder look to it, don't mess with it, it's orig. from the factory and not easily duplicated.;)

Last edited:
D

DAMN YANKEE

Well, that is what an engine looks like when absolutely nothing is done to try and keep it clean. That is what an engine looks like when it has been parked outside in the rain for a couple of wet and dry cycles.
The pooling in the black plastic wheel wells in typical of rain/dirt entry through the hood wents and then dryout. Normal? yep...typical? yep...for an engine that is being driven in the rain or stored outside.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 01 GTS does the same thing after a wash and I always dry/wipe down the engine compartment after wash,funny thing is I have driven in the rain once or twice and did not have these puddles.Could have been an unusual situation I dont know as I do not typically drive in the rain as it causes dozens of hours of detailing.I would be willing to bet this guy washed the car and let it sit it does not srike me as he was very detailed orientated.If you want to be sure, get the car up on a lift and if it has been in the rain the undercarriage will show it.Those puddles are standard for any car with the vents above the wheel wells after a wash or dozens of washes as this one appears.Look closely heck you may have tadpoles swimming in that crud.It gives me the *****'s looking at that dirt makes me want to scrub something!!!!!!!!!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks ok. But I am as disgusted as walking into a Southern state US gas fill up wash room. So it needs a lot of cleaning and some fluid changes. Just make sure the engine,driveline are ok and got regular maint. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm leaving in the next 30 minutes on my journey :) I should have the car back here at home by Thursday.

Hoop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why? Because he doesn't want his engine looking like crap?

He might say back "Wow, I would hate to buy a car from you..."

Yes, I'm sure he would because anyone who buys a car from me that's 11 years old and doesn't expect to have rust on the headers would be told to get out of my garage.

Last edited:

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read the 4 pages of reply's to this post and the pictures are kind of grainy, but it almost looks like primer overspray in the engine compartment. I would see how easily it rubs off on the hoses and engine parts. If it feels like a rough surface and does not rub off easily, it could be overspray and mean that some body and paint work were done. Sometimes when they do body work on cars, its very hard to keep overspray out of those areas if you don't do a great job taping off the entire car. Not looking to scare ya, but look into it. CarFax will not tell you everything.

My '94 has 27K miles and the engine bay looks much cleaner than that and I've never wash under the hood.

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was definitely not overspray...just dust and dirt from never being cleaned. Now that I have the car in my garage, round 1 of cleaning everything up has taken place, and it's looking a billion times better:

Before:

You must be registered for see images

After:

I'm still not done, but everything is cleaning up pretty easy. The exterior of the car was basically in showroom condition when I picked it up. By the end of the weekend, the entire car will look like it's brand new.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was definitely not overspray...just dust and dirt from never being cleaned. Now that I have the car in my garage, round 1 of cleaning everything up has taken place, and it's looking a billion times better:

Before:

After:

I'm still not done, but everything is cleaning up pretty easy. The exterior of the car was basically in showroom condition when I picked it up. By the end of the weekend, the entire car will look like it's brand new.

Damn nice man....I'm happy for ya.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me, they go out of date.
The compound is hard than is should be at this point.
It will make all the difference in the world.