Thoughts on this GTS engine compartment for car I'm buying...pics included

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm supposed to go pick up a GTS B/W 97 Viper on Tuesday and had a friend local to the car go check it out for me. The car has just over 6,000 miles on it, but a few of the pics concerned me, that I wanted to get your opinions on. The car checks out just fine in terms of no accidents, etc. It was said that it has never seen rain/snow. The engine compartment seems pretty dirty, but maybe the guy never cleaned under the hood. I'd like to know if this looks normal and you guys think it can just be detailed to look perfect...also in one of the pics you can see the manifold is rusty and I wanted to know if that was normal. Most OEM manifolds look like that from what I've seen but wanted to make sure:

You must be registered for see images attach

The manifold looks rusty in this picture, is that normal?

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh also in the third to last pic, does the spot on the right look like it would be able to just come off?

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everything looks ok to me. Just a bit dirty. My manifolds just came off the otherday and they were quite rusty.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of coures there is rust on the headers. You know how hot them things get? ALL OEM / stock headers rust and with that car only having 6,000 miles, it's gonna look really rusty. The car is probably fine.

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats just the plastic wheel well cover area. It will probably buff right out.

Yeah I know, I'm just worried that may have stained. I'm hoping some armor all will get it right out. Either way it will definitely need a major under the hood cleaning when it gets into my garage!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed that it looks only like regular old dirt that cleans up with regular old elbow grease.

Be careful what you use to add shine under there, like with sprays etc. There is a good thread going on that in the detail forum.

I would look at some plug wire holders. With Mopar wires, the OE holders work well.

That one shot of your wheel well - second from last pic... Looks like maybe a body shim poking out. Loosen screw, shove it back in, re-tighten screw.

After you get it clean then drive the snot out of it. Clean, repeat driving...

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the 3rd to last pic, there is water puddled up on the inner fender under the hood. It has been there awhile too, as you can see rings around it from slow evaporation. If it has "never seen rain/snow" as you mentioned, this seems odd, especially since it it obvious that he has'nt washed this engine bay in some time. Just an observation.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake fluid is dirty. I am sure all the other fluids need to be changes as well.

Other than than it just looks like it needs detailed.

The rust is normal.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say it has for sure been in the rain. Both of the inner fender well pics show where water as sat and dried. Also both smooth tubes and the air-box are, ummm...filthy. I think this guy just drove it and never once cleaned under the hood. Hopefully he took better care of maintenance.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Gods sake do not clean the engine compartment that is original Mopar dirt and only adds to the patina of originality!!!!!!!!!:lmao:
Seriously when I wash my car the water collects on the top of the wheel weel just as in your pics with a little scrubbing that will come right up.Do use soap of some variety before using dressing or armour all.There is a how to article about shining Viper insignias/lettering on the valve covers,works great and is easy to do.All you need is about 100 hours of detailing and it will look great ,I am envious you will have a ball. I bought my 01 w/4k miles in 06 after changing fluids the change in the feel and impact of brakes was like doing a brake upgrade, if you do nothing else change brake fluid as your life will depend on it.The circular objects on your wheels formerly known as tires have become harder than a **** stars boobs and will gladly kill you at the earliest oppurtunity so change them out as we all would like to get to know you before that happens!Seriously the fluid and antique tires have to go as soon as possible.Congratulations it looks like you have a gorgeous car there enjoy!!!!!

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd say it has for sure been in the rain. Both of the inner fender well pics show where water as sat and dried. Also both smooth tubes and the air-box are, ummm...filthy. I think this guy just drove it and never once cleaned under the hood. Hopefully he took better care of maintenance.

I disagree. Water collects there after washing the car. The fact that water is pooled in there tells me he washed it recently before showing it to buyers.

Probably your typical car owner. Drive it a few times a month/year. Wash it a few times a year. Probably never looked under the hood.

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I disagree. Water collects there after washing the car. The fact that water is pooled in there tells me he washed it recently before showing it to buyers.

Probably your typical car owner. Drive it a few times a month/year. Wash it a few times a year. Probably never looked under the hood.

I think this is more likely the scenario as well. The outside looks perfectly clean.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then look by the brake booster and area directly behind it. Did you look at the back side of the air-box. That does not get that way from washing the car. I'm sorry but to me it has been in the rain, which is really no biggie. My car had 16000 miles on it when I bought it, and under hood looked WAY cleaner than this. I have no doubt it has the claimed mileage, just it wasn't taken care of as the current owner claims.
Gota350ZTT, I pm'd you asking where this car is. If it is close to Grand Rapids area(100 miles) I will gladly meet with you to look over the car.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake.engine oil,transmission, differential, anti freeze, clutch,power steering and TIRES.If you have someone do it it will cost a small fortune the clutch can be a ****** if they dont know what they are doing or so I am told.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. So besides re-doing the brake fluid, what else should I change?

@Madduc, I didn't get a PM, but I'll PM you in a sec.

All of them.

Coolant, engine oil, power steering, clutch, transmission, rear diff and the already mentioned brake fluid.

On a GTS like that I would recommend a compression and leak down test on the motor.

Best have someone who knows these cars take a look first hand before going any further.

Last edited:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about windshield wiper bearing grease?
Sorry I am a post ** and had to get to 400 posts with this pathetic attempt on humor:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the engine compartment on my GTS, that I just sold. Car had 14,500 miles on it... Never cleaned with anything other than soap and quick detailer, valve covers were never painted and it was never "hosed" down.. the secret is just "keeping up" with it.. After every drive/wash. I go over the whole engine bay, with quick detailer. (nothing greasy). Water just sits on those wheel well "coves", If you dont dry it. Leaving a "ring".. Also, block sand the "viper" logo with some 1-2k grit sandpaper, and they will look like new (make sure you mask the red painted area though, it comes off EASY)

Its all about mainenance, and not so much mileage alone.. Ive seen 3,000 mile cars that are TRASHED under the engine. B/C they were not kept up properly.

No worries.. It will take some time,detailing, maybe some light painting,etc.. But Im sure you can get that car back too 100%.. Sometimes the "lowest" mile cars, are just left sitting.. Kind of a shame..

I agree with Toby, change all fluids ASAP..

Viper_Engine_logo_detail_009.jpg

Last edited:

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With mine I watched for the low spots on the inner fender and drilled two small holes at each corner to aide in letting the water drain. Also after every washing I wipe it down under the hood also.
In the above pic from Taxi, look how the plug wires are routed vs how they are in the one for sale.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the same car, in which the guy is looking for you to pay with cash??

hmmmmmmm!!!!!

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it has not been in the rain to me,
you can see a sticker in the wheel well that would have been destroyed by driving in the rain.
The water under the hood is right under where the vents are on a gen 2 Chad...

The item you guys are calling a header is acctualy a cast manifold, 97 was the last year for that.
The rust is very natural, not like the low grade SS headers of later years that look like crap but dont rust.

Just my .02 hope if you get the car you enjoy it.:2tu:

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like it has not been in the rain to me,
you can see a sticker in the wheel well that would have been destroyed by driving in the rain.
The water under the hood is right under where the vents are on a gen 2 Chad...

The item you guys are calling a header is acctualy a cast manifold, 97 was the last year for that.
The rust is very natural, not like the low grade SS headers of later years that look like crap but dont rust.

Just my .02 hope if you get the car you enjoy it.:2tu:
Wow, great eye! Thanks for the info, the cast manifold vs ss was helpful as well.