Timed mile top speed for GTS (a few years ago on TV)

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone recall what show or when there was a timed mile top speed session on TV? I believe it was C/D or Motor trend. They had a part of an interstate blocked and showed a BLUE/WHITE GTS going against several other cars. They got two passes in opposite directions and took the average speed. I think I remember the GTS blew a rad hose and lost fluid. I want to find the article/copy of show.

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was an earlier one for a GTS.

But...This one was in Motor Trend June 2003 at Ford's Arizona Proving Ground:

Viper SRT standing mile: 30.5 sec 167.6 mph.

Edit: That SRT went on to a top speed of 182 in the test.

Ranger

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One person is talking about top speed, which was 192-193 in Motortrend.

The other person is talking 1 mile time/speed. I think that was 30 ticks or so at 172.

Both test were performed by Motortrend, if memory serves.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
forget what the magazines did, go try it your self. mine went 185 with just a cat back. now with nos, i will try for the 200 club. Get my membership card reaqdy paolo!

Isaac

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OFF-Topic - A touch over 200 in ONE mile In a slightly modified blue/white in Chicago last December '03. Scared to know what the actual top speed would have been. :laugh: now who's car was that......

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i drove my viper to a gps verified top speed of 180 mph back when it was bone stock and dyno'd 421 rwhp. since then i have done belanger headers, random tech cats and corsa cat back. i am now making 452 rwhp and 495 rwtq. my top speed only increased to 182 mph (gps verified). btw, my speedo is accurate. so a gps is really not necessary for me. my next mods will be new ported and polished heads with bigger valves and t&d 1.7 ratio roller rockers. i will also raise the compression ratio to 10:1 > hopefully this will get me to 190 mph. if not, i will put in a bigger cam.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FF @ what elevation did you test it?

both of my top speed runs were made on a flat freeway (no down hill grade) in arizona at an elevation of 1,350 feet above sea level. the air temp on the vette run was 55 degrees and the air temp on the viper run was 65 degrees. i always test in the winter time here in arizona because it is way too hot in the summer. i also always test on the same stretch of pavement at a certain location on a certain freeway. when i get my hands on a new ford gt someday, i am gonna bust 200+ mph and my buddy will get it on video tape. :headbang:

i do my high speed testing for my motorcycles in a completely different spot here in arizona. i test on a 2 lane road far from any freeway that is nice and wide. i have driven my nitrous injected honda cbr-929 to a gps verified top speed of 176 mph last week. this was in 5th gear at max rpm without even using nitrous. i will be going back out next month to retest the bikes top speed in 6th gear when i spray the motor with a 40 hp shot of nitrous in 6th gear. should be good for 185 mph according to my calculations. this bike and my turbo bike have so much power that even though i high speed test them in less than ideal conditions (high elevation and hot weather), they still run out of gear before they run out of power. ;)

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have done 185 in both my '97 gts and my current '02. Both had cat back and filters only.

Where? What road? Not the short highway that connects your house and mine?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Freddy....what do you think the difference would be in MPH @ sea level?

very little difference because the differences in elevation are too small. i would say 1 mph gain. if you compare denver, colorado (5,250 feet above sea level) to sea level you will see a much bigger difference (more like 5 mph).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten