Semi-Newbie just purchased an '04 w/8K miles - a few questions

milehigh SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 16 years ago I purchased a silver '98 GTS Coupe, but was only able to hang on to it for a year. Times have changed, and yesterday my silver '04 arrived with 8,000 miles. Needless to say I am fired up. Noticed after my first drive last night a small oil leak on the garage floor between the oil pan and the inside of the L/F tire - the oil cooler lines I suspect, as it appears to be engine oil. I noticed in the forum that crank dampner bolt should also be checked. That will be next. The car has new Michelin Pilots and is all stock. Thinking about the Corsa or Mopar Cat-back and leaving it alone otherwise. I have a rotational clicking at slow speeds that is coming from the R/R wheel that goes away as I pull on the e/brake. I suspect it's a dragging e/brake shoe that needs adjusting. I will be looking at changing the fluids, as the only record I have is for an oil change at 4000 miles. Any other recommendations or suggestions for a new Gen III owner? Anyone know who the Viper Tech(s) in Denver are anymore? Thanks in advance. Take care.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome back !!

Agree oil cooler line connectors are often (nearly always) a source of oil leak. I suppose a left front location of the drip could be possible, but not the usual. I would look at the shock as well as P/S and A/C lines as well.

Certainly agree with close inspection of damper bolt. If loose, remove, clean, re-Loctite, and torque to 160 ft-lbs (yes...that is 30 above stock torque spec of 130). Also, be sure damper is fully seated.

Parking brake inner pads seem to always drag...often, one can swap with outer pad if inner pad gas at least 50% of pad left. If inner pads gone...replace.

If not documented as a recent service, I would change all fluids.

Enjoy your new Beast !

P.S. It would also be possible for OLD, discolored brake fluid to leak from a line, bleeder, or caliper...and, look similar to motor oil.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, the LF comment caught me on that as well. The oil cooler is typically RF for location. PS is often the LF, though I believe by 04 it was supposed to be red. The early gen 3's had the clear fluid that could turn brown with age and use I believe, but might still be worth checking.

OP
OP
M

milehigh SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Turns out the p/s rack bellows are leaking, as well as the rear shocks. Not what I was hoping to hear. We have a local facility here in town that rebuilds racks and can hopefully do this one. Any suggestions on where to purchase the rear shocks and oil cooler hoses (for the future)?

Use caution when buying low mileage cars! Things do go bad just from sitting.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do for shocks. If you want to go factory your best bet might be Don Scharf. They are the biggest Viper salvage operation that I know of and I believe they got the old VPA stock, so they might have some new stuff as well as take offs. If you want to go aftermarket there is a whole slew of options with price tags to match. I put a set of MCS singles on my car all the way around and like them, though the ride is a bit harsh to my wife with her back issues, even cranked down pretty far. They are reasonably priced as well (at least in my opinion). Motons and Penskes were pretty much the top end from what I read in the past.

Oil cooler hoses you can get from a few places I think. I believe Viper Specialty sells them, maybe Roe, and I think probably PartsRack. If you look around online you can probably find all the offerings. They are basically just AN style hoses and adapter fittings. I made a set myself originally, but kept having issues with my swivel hose ends from Summit leaking at the swivel. Finally just gave up and ordered a set from a Viper place. By the time you buy quality brand fittings and hose I don't know that you're really saving much over getting the kit that's already made to size.