Tin foil removal?

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any large disadvantage to taking off the "tin foil" heat shields that cover the stock headers. I think the engine would look better with visible headers. I have seen several bare aftermarket header set-ups and they seem to be OK. How about bare stock headers?

Anyone already done this?

OP
OP
C

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are not cooking components under the hood, would it not be better to radiate the heat than to trap it under the shields?

What do the aftermarket header guys do?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand the stock heat shields fit over most of the after market headers, but there are some that the heat shields will not fit back over. Some header suppliers have their own heat shields that they sell as well. You will have to ask these questions to the suppliers you are considering.

The main disadvantage from the radiated header heat is that it will cook your plug wires, and in some instances, catch them on fire, and heat up your main brake cylinder.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig A. Petersen:
If you are not cooking components under the hood
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what the heat shields are there to prevent. Aftermarket headers are usually coated with JetHot or the like to reduce the amount of radiated heat. I'd leave the shields on if I were you.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Craig,
Obviously, I have the HMS headers. Hennessey recommends using the stock heat shields for the reasons indicated by other members above. You can get your headers coated ( $300 ) and not use the heat shields for the look you want, however, the heat protection may not be as good. For those of you that make negative comments about HMS isn't it curious they didn't try to sell me on $300 worth of coating that I don't need and were actually more interested in me having the heat protection that is best.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts on an installation in a Gen I with Balengers. Balenger doesn't recommend using the heat shields. I believe it voids the warranty. The underhood temp is noticeabily cooler with the Balengers and no shields.

The sills run approx 40 degrees cooler with the Balengers, bullet mufflers and high flow cats. Unless the ambient is high the sills hardly get hot.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you remove the stock heat shields and leave the stock maifold it will not hurt the car. However it will raise the underhood temperature, higher temperature = loss of power. Most header manufactures will void your warranty if you use any kind of heat shield, primarily the header wrap type. The stock heat shield is made of metal (tin??) and will not hurt aftermarket headers. It might rub against them and remove a bit of the jet-hot but that's about it. I used one of the stock heat shields and put it under the air box. Then I used two new heat shields for the headers from Jegs.com #893-14003 $76 it seems to work good. I just lightly tucked them over the headers, the decrease in radiated heat was very noticeable. It seems to have no bad effects on my headers, and I had a bit left over which I used to wrap the smooth tubes. Did any of this help I don't know, but it don't hurt.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After fitting my belangers it seemed a shame to cover them up ,so I made up an aluminum shield for the air intake box, and fastened it to the box via insulators, looks OE. No heat problems and plug wires get hot but not too bad.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,

PUT THE HEAT SHIELDS ON !!

I had a Customer that did not put the heat shields on with his headers, and it melted the Power Steering Reservoir! Up went the car in FLAMES! Total loss! It was a 97GTS.
crying.gif

OP
OP
C

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
Craig,

Up went the car in FLAMES! Total loss!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that answers my question.

Thanks for the input everyone.