tinted tails

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few sets that just came out of the booth ready to ship. If anyone is interested send me a pm. The tails are scuffed, masked, painted three coats of Dupont Paint, clearcoated and baked for 6 hours. The finish is mirror quality.

8372tinted_tail2.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes and running lights are clearly visible at night when illuminated.

I prefer a medium tint so the red slight shines through the tint during the day.

I run these on all my cars, never a problem, issue or tickets.

OP
OP
Z

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
easy peasy japonese

i have convertible tails in stock, no coupes. if you pull yours, I can have them done in two or three days. your car would look hot

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am struggling with it on a black car. In the picture it looks a bit too honda civic.

It must look great on other colors but on black is it too much?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes and running lights are clearly visible at night when illuminated.

Not to Stevie Wonder.

The point is, I'm pretty sure manufacturers have to meet government standards regarding illumination, and I am also betting this relatively new "dark lens fad" wouldn't pass.

On the upside, after local governments start collecting money for painted lenses like they do with tinted windows I see a potential market to adapt the technology used by those sunglasses that change with the light. The only problem is they function backwards now. Somebody get on this. Make millions.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have to buy the whole set?

Also does it look bad to only do the rear? If the rear is blacked out and the fronts are clear...doesnt that look funny?

Ask about whole set because I may be interested in doing middle break light and clear turn signal and leave the red lights red

OP
OP
Z

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have two or three complete sets in stock, but I can split them up. however I would recommend doing them all for a complete look. the front is a completely different animal. my srt and most of my customers leave the front alone, but on a black car it looks SINISTER.

Personally I think it looks best on a BLACK car.

bat, thanks for the compliment. It means alot coming from a professional.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing fronts as well as the fogs...but maybe not such a dark tint....are they all the same shade? And only problem I see is getting the fogs out for painting...how would that work?

OP
OP
Z

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can do the fronts a lighter shade. I have sold a few sets of fronts with two coats, a little bit lighter than the rears. Most of the guys that do the fronts roll in black cars, and it does look sinister. the fogs have access panels in the wheel tubs.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know...I think this kind of stuff looks better on lighter colored cars..saw some pics a while back of a guy who had a lime green Gallardo with blacked out lights and it looked amazing because you can see the contrast....but with all black aren't you just hiding more lines? A problem on the black car to begin with.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know...I think this kind of stuff looks better on lighter colored cars..saw some pics a while back of a guy who had a lime green Gallardo with blacked out lights and it looked amazing because you can see the contrast....but with all black aren't you just hiding more lines? A problem on the black car to begin with.

That's the point, i.e., to eliminate the contrast between the bright red lenses and the shiny black paint. If you like contrast, you might as well stick with stock (at least on the rear; the front is a little different since the lenses are clear). By making the lenses darker they blend in great with the paint on a black car and create a more mean look like a stealth fighter or something. Now IMO totally black lenses look like crap, front or rear; the trick is getting them dark enough but not too dark.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree like a slight tint...like merc does on their AMG tail lights on the SL....a shade darker gives it a richer look...

These appear to be too dark for me

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if someone rear ends you if then it would be your fault VS theirs ????

This efect would probably be safer using a checker pattern or lines that would then allow the lights to light as they should to warn people that you ( in your extreeeeeeemly quick sytopping SRT Viper ) that you are in fact stopping. Most motorists these days need all the help they can get to wake up and stop as they approach you. I hope you have good product liability insurance for this product as it is.

OP
OP
Z

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps I can use the spray overlay from the 1986 Mustang GT for the Viper. I think you are on to something. Thanks for your valuable input.

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These tinted lens are the best. I have had 4 professional auto painters complimant on how high of quality the are.

Thanks again ZENNY.

P.S. I won't sue again you if someone hits me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang