tinted windows and radar detectors...

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you guys use your radar detectors with your tinted windows? I'm thinking of getting my windows tinted with Llumar. I've heard that tinted windows decrease the ability of radar detectors to work, especially if they have a metallic coat (like Llumar does)?

this is new territory for me, so any advice would be appreciated!

TIA!

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have 20% on my daily driver with my V1 & it definitely does decrease the signal. not a major reduction, but enough to notice. i still have a decent heads up on radar coming from the rear tough

for me the most important detection is straight ahead & my front window is clear so no problems there

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unless you are planning on tinting your windshield (which is illegal in all 50 states without some sort of doctor's note that you can't endure bright light, and perhaps not even then), its probably not an issue for forward-facing detection. You are correct that metalic films or ones that contain very much carbon (I believe), will attenuate the signal. My rear window (RT/10) is tinted, but I don't notice much decrease in rear range. I have no idea what brand or material the tinting I have is made of, though.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want when you're getting your windshield tinted you can have them leave a small rectangular space, the same size as your detector, untinted in the location that your radar detector sits behind. This usually looks better at the bottom of the windshield than in the middle.

Bo knows

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all good input and ideas... thanks!! I'll probably just tint as planned and just accept that i might have weakened rear detection... thanks!