Tips for removing stock radio?

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any tips for removing the stock radio and replacing it with the RB1? I'm basically concerned about the removal of the stock radio, as I'm not quite sure the safest way to get it out.

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's really really easy. What part has you concerned?

This is on an SRT-10 right? Because your sig and avatar show a GTS.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's really really easy. What part has you concerned?

This is on an SRT-10 right? Because your sig and avatar show a GTS.

I was thinking the same thing. If you're looking for advice for a Gen II, you're in the wrong forum.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Assuming you are referring to an SRT, the process is pretty easy:
1. Remove the screws holding the ring around the shifter.
2. Pop up the console plastic around the shifter, it's held with fasteners that simply snap when you gently pry up on the plastic.
3. Remove the allen screws holding the plastic on the dash panel. There is also a phillips screw on the bottom that is covered by the plastic panel you popped up earlier.
4. Carefully unplug the electrical connector between the HVAC controls and the car wiring harness. The connector is on the backside of the controls.
5. Carefully unplug the electrical connector behind the start button.
6. Remove the last electrical connector behind the dash panel. There are three connectors in total, and they all have something you need to depress in order to get them to release, and they are also tight so they need to be CAREFULLY removed. This is the hardest part of the whole job.
7. Remove the center plastic panel, it should be free now.
8. There are 4 phillips screws holding the radio in, remove these, and the radio will slide out. Once clear, the connectors on the back of the radio will be easy to access, just unplug them and complete the removal process.
9. Plug in the RB1, and reverse the order of disassembly to re-assemble. Don't forget to plug in the antenna, I placed mine on top of the radio once it was installed and this location seems to work fine (The dash from the radio on up is mostly plastic so it doesn't interfere with the signal.)

When re-attaching the trim ring around the shifter, be careful, it only goes one way as there are two location pins of differernt sizes, and they need to line up with the shift boot & releif holes in the console piece.

All done, it should take you about an hour.

Regards,

Mike Dolan

OP
OP
S

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops, yes, SRT. I need to change my signature. :)

Mike: thanks so much. Considering the removal of the console, I'm assuming this would be a good time to install the ipod adaptor since everything is out, correct?

-Justyn

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
since you have everything apart now is the best time to install the ipod adaptor. its plug and play bu the hardest part is mounting the box that comes with it. I mounted mine up and behind the glove box than ran the wire back down and under the center console ending in the center box.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
since you have everything apart now is the best time to install the ipod adaptor. its plug and play bu the hardest part is mounting the box that comes with it. I mounted mine up and behind the glove box than ran the wire back down and under the center console ending in the center box.

I believe there is NO ipod adapter that will work with a radio with a NAV system (RB1 or RB4). The signals mess each other up. I was told that NAV systems require that the ipod be connected with an FM frequency set up (not a a wiring harness)

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is in reference to Viperman - actually the ipod adapter works really well with the RB1, there is no interference issue, or any other problem. Mopar makes the ipod adapter, and it's designed to work with the RB1, and several other Mopar radios including the RBQ that comes with the Viper. I installed the ipod adapter and RB1 at the same time, and like others, ran the cable into the box on the console. Easy as pie & a really clean installation.

Regards,
Mike

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to North Las Vegas and leave it unattended for 45 seconds; not a second longer or you won't have any wheels.