Tips on touch up paint please

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok-I can't take it, I am going out to get some touch up paint and try to fix some of the rock chips on my front fascia. Any tips? Do I need to clear coat afterwards? Grit of sandpaper? Do I need to remove the Zaino from the surronding area? I have never tried this before and any help is greatly appreciated!

Bill

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't drop the bottle all over your interior.

GS-27 will take off excess touch-up paint, even months later, in case you get buck wild.

Don't try to do too much at one time, dab a little in the spot, and come back to hit it again in a few days, it's better to do a building process else you'll probably get too much excess.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clear coat is actually a paint itself, not a "clear" coat on top of the paint. The touch up will look crappy because of that; I've tried it on other vehicles. If the chips are very small they can disappear from 30 feet away, but I suspect what you're after will require removal of the nose & hauling it to a paint shop. I'm doing it this winter.

There's just no easy way to do it other than painting it, & then you have to match existing hood fade.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clean area around chip THOROUGHLY.
As mentioned above, add a little touch up paint at a time to build up the hole (chip) to a level ABOVE the surrounding area. Now the fun part, go to your wifes favorite make-up store, and buy some various grit fingernail emory boards, you know for fingernails. Get VERY, VERY, fine grits, down to some that at called buffing surface (no grit).
Take scissors and cut the boards to a rounded, narrow tip, and "file" away the excess paint, using finer, and finer, grits (usually 2) as you go, down to and including the 'buffer' board.
Try to disturb the surrounding paint (clear coat), as little as possible. Use as polish or light swirl remover to finish up.
Make sure area is clean of all wax, etc., before starting.
Later,

bhchase

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went to an art store and bought some really fine brushes and then got a magnafing glass and slowly filled the chips. The Eastwood company sell a sanding kit just for chips (has several sizes of sandpaper and compounds). There on the internet.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried langka on another vehicle. Some people here had good results, however, I was not satisfied. It tended to discolor the paint. I dunno', maybe I'm doing it wrong. What I liked about it is that you just blob the paint on, then use langka to rub it down to the surface level.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm also a dissatisfied Langka user. Sure didn't work in my hands. Looked crappy. Anyone have any good results with Langka or any other chip repair product?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine