Tire Life

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i need to get new tires and was wondering about tire life. I've been reading on here how a lot of you like the kumho's and you seem to get around 6k to 9K out of them. Do Kumho's wear faster the the OEM's or are those of you only getting 6k driving hard? I've got almost 25k on my OEM's. I've taken it to a track day, and gone to the drag strip a couple of times. I'd like to go with Kumhos as they are a fair amount cheaper but if I can only get 6K out of them it's not worth it.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your having no traction problems with OEM, I'd stick with them personally... When you mod beyond their traction abilities, you'll know you've got to do something about it.

Kumhos wear pretty well, again, it depends on what kind of use you put them to. Since I put less than 3K per year on the snake, Kumhos wearing out in three years is fine, as they'd be hard by then anyway...

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Dunlop 8000 on my GTS. This is what came on it when I bought it and this is what I have put on new after I had the rims chromed. I do not track it only once in a while do I push it hard. The Dunlops work great for my driving style.

Patrick Mathias

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always a trade-off.

Grip = wear.

If you are doing track days you will love the grip of Kumhos.

By comparison, Michelins appear to last forever but in reality they get heat cycled and lose grip like any tire.

IMO Michelins are a good tire to start tracking with because they give good warning and will save you money in the long run. When you have progressed enough that you have gotten the most out of Michelin you will get tired of driving so hard just to hang and you'll step up to Kumhos or better yet, a second set of rims mounted with Hoosiers. At that point you are beginning to think of selling the kids and prostituting the wife.

If you are going for points in Viper Days you have to run Michelins.