Tire Mounting and Balancing

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure no matter how good the tire shop is that you watch them from start to finish. Remember, most tire changers are screwballs...and this is someone who used to mount and balance tires in highschool...

I went to a local tireshop with the latest in technology as far as mounting and balancing. Since the rear rims were so big, the guy suggested balancing the rim backwards on the balancer, whereby the front of the rim was going to be pressed face to face with the rough hub of the balancer. Needless to say, I almost put my foot up his sphincter...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank is right. Stand there and watch them do it. I took my rims off and brought them to a Porsche specialty shop. They were unable to do the rears. It appears the 14" width and extreme offset of the rear rims exposed a possible bent spindle problem on the balancer that could not be seen with the smaller rims he was usually balancing. I took the wheels somewhere else, told the guy they were for a Viper and slipped him $20 to fit me in before closing time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant