Tire question

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be the correct tire pressure to run in the front and rear tires? Im noticing that theres a flat spot in the center of the rear tires from to much pressure I would guess. Its creating a bald spot thats 6 inches wide but there is plenty of tread on the outside areas. Ive got 18 P.S.I. in the rears and 25 P.S.I. in the fronts? Can I safely drive at these pressures to try to even out the tire wear?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's Bluffton? Before you ask, Duncan is 1/2 way between Greenville and Spartanburg. I run 28 psi all around (cold). Sounds like your tires were running about 60psi! Just start powersliding ever corner, The edges will wear down....

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a trick I was shown by Discount Tire....

Get some chaulk... Now make a stripe running across the tire
tread from one side of the tire to the next side. Make the stripe
about 4 inches wide and all the way across the tire. Now drive
the car around the block.... adjust the air in the tire until
the chaulk starts to wear evenly across the entire width of the
tire. This is the correct air pressure for the tire.

Too much air and it wears in the center, not enough air and it
wears on the outter edges.

Hope this helps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SMCBUILDERSINC:
What would be the correct tire pressure to run in the front and rear tires? .....Ive got 18 P.S.I. in the rears and 25 P.S.I. in the fronts? Can I safely drive at these pressures to try to even out the tire wear? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO ! NOT SAFE!

18 psi rear is NOT SAFE AT ALL, unless in a straight line. If you try to take an exit ramp / onramp FAST, your rear end will step out fast. You will collapse the shoulder and WORSE.
Viper PSI is posted on the 96-2002 doorjamb: 29-29-29-29;

You must have CROWNED the center with too much pressure, and caused the groove? If you must, lower to 25 psi and gain some extra miles..BETTER YET: 2 new ones $398/pr from PartsRack !!!!

There is a pretty good article (!) in current VCA NOTES on Tire management......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine