Tire Question

John Baringer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought used 1994 Viper, not real sure of history on tires. Car has 8700 miles, lots of tread. How do you know if tires need replaced.

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed, a new set of tires made the biggest difference out of all the mod I've made. Your ride comfort will be much better, less tire slip when you get on the accelerator, better grip when cornering. Miles mean nothing when you talk about older tires. If your tires are more than three years old you're risking a lot by not replacing them.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Michelin's website:

"Each tire has a required Department of Transportation (DOT) number imprinted on at least one of its sidewalls. That number begins with the letters "DOT" and may contain up to 12 additional numbers and letters.

The first and last digits are the most important:

The first two letters or numbers identify the manufacturer of the tires.
Prior to the year 2000, the last 3 digits of a DOT number represented the week (2 digits) and the year (1 digit) of production. So if the last three digits are 439, the tire was produced in the 43rd week of 1999.
Tires produced after January 1, 2000, have a 4-digit date code at the end of the DOT number. The first 2 digits represent the week of production and the last 2 digits represent the last 2 digits of the year of production. So, 3500 indicates the tire was produced in the 35th week of the year 2000."

Most experts will advise keeping tires no longer than 5-6 years regardless of tread remaining.

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, a new set of tires made the biggest difference out of all the mod I've made. Your ride comfort will be much better, less tire slip when you get on the accelerator, better grip when cornering. Miles mean nothing when you talk about older tires. If your tires are more than three years old you're risking a lot by not replacing them.

Actually it depends a lot about how they were stored--3 year old tires could be dry-rotted badly, whereas 7 year old tires could be just fine. But since he doesn't know, yes I agree with replacing them. Better safe then sorry.

OP
OP
J

John Baringer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Michelin's website:

"Each tire has a required Department of Transportation (DOT) number imprinted on at least one of its sidewalls. That number begins with the letters "DOT" and may contain up to 12 additional numbers and letters.

Prior to the year 2000, the last 3 digits of a DOT number represented the week (2 digits) and the year (1 digit) of production. So if the last three digits are 439, the tire was produced in the 43rd week of 1999.
Tires produced after January 1, 2000, have a 4-digit date code at the end of the DOT number. The first 2 digits represent the week of production and the last 2 digits represent the last 2 digits of the year of production. So, 3500 indicates the tire was produced in the 35th week of the year 2000."

Most experts will advise keeping tires no longer than 5-6 years regardless of tread remaining.

Took some pictures of the numbers. On the passenger side, I see DOT numbers, on the drivers no DOT numbers. Need help!

All Tires are Michelin Pilot Sports

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

John Baringer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Michelin's website:

Bought used 1994 Viper, not real sure of history on tires. Car has 8700 miles, lots of tread. How do you know if tires need replaced.

Also wanted to know if these rims where a option in 1994? Or are they from another model year?

Last edited:

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are from 96-98. You do not have the original tires that came with the car. Those were XGT's. You have Pilot Sports. The codes will determine how old the tires are. Old, hard, tires are not good for a Viper.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe they were manufactured the 25th week of '05

You'd be correct.

Look on the inside of the other tire you can't find the DOT# for, as the previous poster suggested. There IS one on that tire.

They don't make that model in the 335 width anymore (the PS2 is the newer version and comes in the standard Viper sizes), but I wouldn't see any reason to change the ones you're riding on unless there's a sidewall puncture or bubble.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'd be correct.

Look on the inside of the other tire you can't find the DOT# for, as the previous poster suggested. There IS one on that tire.

They don't make that model in the 335 width anymore (the PS2 is the newer version and comes in the standard Viper sizes), but I wouldn't see any reason to change the ones you're riding on unless there's a sidewall puncture or bubble.

Quite sure that they are avail. 335/35/17 shows in stock at Tire Rack, but I would recomend that if you are replacing them to contact JohnB at Parts Rack. Lots of tread, and they aren't that old, I say keep 'em.

heftygts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My tires are about 50% worn and am replacing the with PS2's I have them on my 02' ZO6 and absolutely love them... in the rain it's unbelievable stick, when doing a burnout they make a loud screech where the original Eagle F1's didn't but I keep smoke shows to a minimum because of the cost of replacement,

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of tread, and they aren't that old, I say keep 'em.

I'd agree that if they are all 2005 date codes, there is not a compelling reason to get new ones, unless you want to try the new PS2 tires to get the latest technology and best performance.

I believe that those that recommended replacing them were probably making the assumption that the tires were as old as the car.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite sure that they are avail. 335/35/17 shows in stock at Tire Rack, but I would recomend that if you are replacing them to contact JohnB at Parts Rack. Lots of tread, and they aren't that old, I say keep 'em.

Yeah, I see Tirerack indicates they have them, but Michelin says they don't make them in that size any longer. Weird. :dunno:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I see Tirerack indicates they have them, but Michelin says they don't make them in that size any longer. Weird. :dunno:

Checked with a local Michelin tire shop a couple of months ago, he said that they were in stock in the regional wharehouse, as well. I didn't bother to ask if they were still in production, though.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought new tires today, my car still had the original ones on! 8 years old. Your tires are fine though, if I am reading the sidewall date code correctly.

CamanoViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...my car still had the original ones on! 8 years old.

8 years, is that all? I think I can beat that. My tire codes are 351 and 321 on the rears and 371 both fronts. Yep, 1991. And it shows, they've got little hairline cracks all over the sidewalls. I'm lucky I made it the 600 miles back home when I bought it in August. The car only had 21k miles, I'm guessing these are the originals, though I don't quite understand why an early '93 had mid '91 tires.