Tire Update Thread: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 have been out in the new version 2 for a while and I was wondering for the people that have them what they think of them? The other thread on the topic dates back to 2008, so I thought an update would be a good idea. I am looking to buy new tires.

I don't track the car, drive it about 1,500-2,000 miles per year, I do like to do burnouts with police permission at shows only :D, and will on occasion drive quickly on country roads. I think it would be fun to do zero to 120? :confused: If I need to I would like to be able to do 60-120 on the highway but only for very short distances to get away from bad guys. These are things I could try in a Viper, so I am told. ;) Given these things, what would be a good match for a tire? The PS2s are of course great tires so I am told, but I am interested in the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2's as a less expensive alternative. Thoughts please.

Consider this an update thread for the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 tire.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im pretty sure they'd be like putting run flats on your car. they are too hard of a compound

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them and they are nothing like run flats.

However since the addition of the s/c I am anxious to move up to the Toyo R888's.

No complaints from me about the BFG's. Some complain about road noise. My exhaust covers any sort of road noise that there would be. Most viper owners wouldn't be concerned with that anyway I suspect.

On a side note, I do not track my car. I would not suggest these for the track.... perfect for the street!

:usa:

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was a review of the KDWs in Grassroots Motorsports recently. I thought the story was that they were an older design but were excellent street tires. I used to use KDWs on a previous car and I remember them as excellent tires. Go ahead and get them. You'll be happy with them.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought these tires were quite a bit harder in compound ? i was kidding about the runflats.

Rob, how do they grip compared to other tires you've had ?

i prefer BFG tires on all my other cars so im not bashing them. actually I wish they would work well enough to use them.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They grip great on the street. The old ones were the originals from 2000 I believe, so those were 8 years old when I got the car.

I have no complaints about the BFG's.

I took them to the 1/4 mile before the supercharger and there wasnt a whole lot of slip or wheel hop at the start.

:usa:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like any tires, a bit squirrly when cold, but rock solid in the heat. Even with my blower, they hook on 2nd gear dig a hot road in the summer. The recent cold weather didn't do real good...fun peddling the throttle 1/2/3rd gear but a bit outofcontrol. Mine are about a year and 1/2 old and are wearing really well, are quiet, and have never "surprised" me with a white knuckle breakaway. Haven't tracked them (really not designed for that) but are a solid street tire at a great price. Done some 170+ passes and no issues. Brake really well too, even with my big brake kit. I think I got all four mounted, forced variance balanced for $1400.00 locally here in Tampa (C2C wheel and tire).

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had two sets on two different cars before and I loved them. Great stick and I don't know what they are talking about with road noise. I wish they had them in Gen III size!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I'm out by Orlando on I-4 coming over a rise at 70+ closing in on a pickup...all of a sudden the truck drives over a large piece of something square, flat, and about 3" thick...just wide enough to fit between his wheels and heavy enough not to lift, move, or fly around..so I know its a heavy piece of something...the darn truck didn't swerve, brake, or give any indication there was something in the road ahead of him...just went right over it between his wheels. I'm actually in the right hand lane (rare for me) so I have a clear paved shoulder on my right so without even thinking, I do a snap turn to the right (with an Oh ****) to my daughter...and the car just does what it does so well. No drama from it. No pitch, roll, yaw...just turned and cleared the obsticle and then hard left to get back on the road. So the KDWs held up their end of the equation and didn't put me into the ditch or spin me 'round and 'round at highway speeds. Probably was 60 degrees on cement Interstate. About a 1/4 mile further up the road I passed a truck/trailer sitting on the shoulder carrying what looked like to be a bunch of scrap HVAC stuff. Me thinks he started loosing his load. After 40K+miles of driving the Viper, that is the first time I had to yank and bank that agressively. No time to brake or do anything but react. Glad the car had the same idea. Not sure what happened behind me with traffic since I never looked back. I'm sure whomever was following me made a few candid remarks.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had KDWs on my 01 Camaro SS (335 rwhp). Ok, not a Viper but I loved that car. I tracked it with the KDWs every chance I got. Drove that car through unplowed snow a couple of times when the KDWs were just about worn out. White knuckle ride but I got to tell you those tires worked even in the snow and half bald either that or I'm a way better driver than I think I am.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had these as well on my built motor/head/cam GTS. Great tire, no issues. took turns well, hooked way. Great on the highway and back country roads. My only comparsion is to PS1 so I am sure anything is better then those.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I paid around 1300 for all four, mounted. Very aggressive looking tire. Ive heard from others who have yet to post on this thread that run them and thus far no issues.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about picking up debris and pebbles? Do they do any sand blasting of the wheel wells?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually a very good all round tire. All the Hurst Challengers run the KDWs and frankly the Goodyear F1s are lousy in the damp and in the snow forget. Granted you won't be driving your Snake in the snow, but recently when the Reliable Carrier truck arrived it happened to be snowing. Absolutely no drama driving the Supercharged beasts over to the warehouse --- very impressive.

Have driven these tires at 130mph in the rain at Miller Motorsports Park and will vouch they are a great tire in the damp, and a very good compromise for good adhesion as well as very competent when weather conditions change.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is interesting how some people love these tires and I've talked with those that hate them (Parts Rack and Tire Rack for instance). I bought Kumho V-700's from Jon B on his recommendation, but there is a part of me that says I should have bought these instead because of many of your posts. I trust Jon and he gave me a good price.

I like the way Bill states the Goodrich ones are a good all around tire, and that is really what I probably need. Oh, well... I'm sure I will like the Kumho's and apparently they will last only about 2 years according to Tire Rack, and then I will re-select. Only getting a couple years out of them will probably make me not want to buy them again I can almost guarantee that. Thanks everyone for your input. I will print and file your responses for future reference. :)

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know how you can hate those tires. I've never met anyone who didn't like them who has run them. They wear nicely, handle great, look cool and are a reasonable price.

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a few months have passed since the thread started and it appears the size 345/30/19 is no longer made by BF Goodrich :confused:

Has anyone still found them 'out there' ?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got mine in today. Mounting is going to be soooo much easier than the V700's. Looking forward to trying 'em out on the Tail of the Dragon in 3 weeks :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

I'll post some more pics mounted and on the car. By then, car will be lowered with Eibach's/caps too. Dang I can't wait to get it back (come on Tony, I can't hold it). Just typing about it is making me crap my pan....oops, too late :D

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got mine in today. Mounting is going to be soooo much easier than the V700's. Looking forward to trying 'em out on the Tail of the Dragon in 3 weeks :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

I'll post some more pics mounted and on the car. By then, car will be lowered with Eibach's/caps too. Dang I can't wait to get it back (come on Tony, I can't hold it). Just typing about it is making me crap my pan....oops, too late :D
I as well as others will be awaiting the feedback on the twisties at the Dragon. :eater: Let us know how they handle!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang