Tires and/or wheels

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I am going to be needing new tires soon. Doing a few track days and a lot of street driving. Thinking I'm going to go with PS2's again. Also thinking about sport cups... Opinions??

Also seeing what you people may have for sale? Looking for ACR sidewinders, or a 19/20 20/20 setup. I checked the classifieds and have some PM's out but not hearing anything back.

Also who has the best pricing now a days for stock size tires?!?!

Thanks!

-Tim

Reaction score
You will be hard pressed to find a better reviewed tire for the Gen 3/4 Viper than the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. We personally think the world of the Nitto Invo, but with softer sidewalls some report it feels a little loose on the track. Great on the street and drag strip, but a bit more lean on hard turns. We have both priced quite nicely (under $1400 for the complete set), including free shipping to your door:

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...t-set-for-2003-2010-viper-275-35-18-345-30-19

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php/products/nitto-invo-full-set-2003-2010

As far as wheels, the ACR sidewinders are available brand-new for under $4K delivered. This is a pretty good deal considering even the widely-produced factory 10-spokes cost a lot more than that.

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...dge-viper-acr-wheel-set-1jj57dx8aa-1jj59dx8aa

Good luck in your search!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
On the topic of Michelin tires, I think I remember reading on the Grail Trail that the Viper spec PS2's use the PSC compound, so it's more or less a PSC with different tread and maybe some internal construction variances. However, is the Viper sized PSS the same PSC compound or something else (since it's not necessarily a Viper OEM tire)? I have PSS's on my car now (were brand new when I bought the car), but was just curious how they compare to the PS2's. According to Michelin I was under the impression that the PSS was intended as a replacement for the PS2, but I didn't know if the compound changes carried over with Viper sized versions or not.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the topic of Michelin tires, I think I remember reading on the Grail Trail that the Viper spec PS2's use the PSC compound, so it's more or less a PSC with different tread and maybe some internal construction variances. However, is the Viper sized PSS the same PSC compound or something else (since it's not necessarily a Viper OEM tire)? I have PSS's on my car now (were brand new when I bought the car), but was just curious how they compare to the PS2's. According to Michelin I was under the impression that the PSS was intended as a replacement for the PS2, but I didn't know if the compound changes carried over with Viper sized versions or not.

The Viper sized PSS does not use the same compound as the PS2 C1...both appear to have been track tested, with the C1 looking to be slightly better on a dry track:

AM Testing lap times (45 degrees)

Pilot Sport PS2 C1 driver: HOWIE FRANK
5 runs averaged: 62.690
best run: 60.869
driver: Luke Pavlick / 59.317 (1.732)

Pilot Super Sport driver: DAVE CATALANELLO
5 runs averaged: 62.342
best run: 60.892
driver: Luke Pavlick / 59.327 (1.565)

PM testing lap times (55 degrees)

Pilot Sport PS2 C1 driver: DAVE CATALANELLO
4 runs averaged: 61.184
best run / 59.941
driver: Luke Pavlick / 58.132 (1.809)

Pilot Super Sport driver: HOWIE FRANK
4 runs averaged: 60.952
best run: 59.790
driver: Luke Pavlick / 58.298 (1.492)

Air Pressure

Pilot Sport PS2 C1
starting: 32psi front / 28psi rear
finish: 37psi front / 32psi rear

Pilot Super Sport
starting: 32psi front / 28psi rear
finish: 35psi front / 29psi rear

Tread Depth

Pilot Sport PS2 C1
starting: 8.5/32"
Finish: 8/32" (1/64)

Pilot Super Sport
starting: 9/32"
finish: 9/32"

Driver input (1-10 scale)

driver: DAVE CATALANELLO

Pilot Sport PS2 C1
Track Cornering Traction: 8
Track Steering Response: 8
Track Braking Traction: 8
Overall track handling: 8

Comments:
drove better, more grip and better response with more heat in the tires
additional heat mattered more in these than the PSS

Pilot Super Sport

Track Cornering Traction: 7
Track Steering Response: 7
Track Braking Traction: 7
Overall track handling: 7

Comments:
very composed on the street and track but, not as fast or responsive

driver: HOWIE FRANK

Pilot Sport PS2 C1
Overall track handling: 9

Comments:
great performing tire - sticks great with any driver input when up to temp
slightly noisier than the Super Sport

Pilot Super Sport

Track Steering Response: 9

Comments:
very predictable cornering but, slightly less grip than the PS2
progressive nature when exceeding available grip

driver: Luke Pavlick

Pilot Sport PS2 C1
Track Steering Response: 9
Track Braking Traction: 9

Comments:
immediate reaction to all driver inputs with noticeably better traction under heavy braking and cornering loads
crisper steering response
more grip at corner exit under heavy throttle application

Pilot Super Sport

Overall track handling: 7

Comments:

good / similar communication at the limit
slightly more sluggish steering response under heavy braking than the PS2 C1
good feel during repeated transitions

Additional Comments:
Both tires could would have benefitted from additional testing, alignment and set up modifications.
However, the Pilot Sport PS2 C1 would have seen greater improvement than the Pilot Super Sport.

I run the Pilot Super Sports on mine because I really only drive it on the street, and I wanted good wet weather performance in case I got stuck in a downpour on the way home from an event.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. I've been really impressed with the PSS's ability in the rain with my car. Got caught in the rain driving it home when I bought it and have driven it in the rain to work and back several times. They hold really well and feel nice and stable, doesn't feel slippery or anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang