TNT rear mount turbo

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think its cool as hell and wish them only success. I think your the only ******* that you can't take a little humor. Lighten up old man.

:D LOL - I wasn't referring to your post Mike - which WAS good humor. If you read some of the posts here in light of the many over at the other site - you'll appreciate how much rubbishing has been going on about something that hasn't even been released yet... it reminds me of all the bashing that went on against Underground Racing when they first announced they were launching their first supercharged Viper....

It was supposed to go slow or blow up - but then it actually arrived - went out and ran 9 second passes, hung with the very best cars - and never blew up then or since (last I heard anyway)....

The hype is premature, but the results will speak for themselves is all I'm saying....

I guess I thought you were responding to my post since your post was right after mine. Anyway thats cool :2tu: TNT are usually the quiet guys that show up race day and kick butt, can't wait to hear results.

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supra,

I use that "ricer" word because you don't see many 4&6 cylinder domestic cars competing the in high performance arena. So I don't mean it as a slam, I just use that word to as a generalization for japanese cars. Nice numbers by the way!!!

I think the lag is relative to the pressure being passed through the pipe as well as the size of the turbo. All's I'm saying is that the air volume & flow will be greater and will travel much faster which should in turn propel the turbo to full speed very quickly than a car with less cylinders. What this will translate into is a much greater reduction in lag over 10ft of plumbing, the bigger turbo will make up for the distance as well and it's that reason alone that they will make so much power because in order to avoid turbo lag you have to get it there faster. If TNT has already built the unit and are going to run it at VOI then I'm probably right, I'm sure they wouldn't bring out something that would embarrass them, let alone make a formal anouncement.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chicago, no offense taken on the ricer comment:) I don't consider myself one either and despise them as well;) Thanks for the compliments on the HP numbers! Likewise on your numbers, it's always impressive to see the high HP Vipers put down with such low boost!

As far as the lag, you are right, with as large an engine as a Viper has it will be less laggy given the same turbo, and rear mounted setup) than a smaller engine car for sure. But having the turbo that far back is definitely not optimal. Russ was also right with his comment about heat. The hotter the air spooling the turbo the better.

If it was my Viper and my $$$$ buying a turbo kit, this would not be my first choice. I would go with a more "conventional" setup like J H, or Heffner (or others) uses.

Supra,

I use that "ricer" word because you don't see many 4&6 cylinder domestic cars competing the in high performance arena. So I don't mean it as a slam, I just use that word to as a generalization for japanese cars. Nice numbers by the way!!!

I think the lag is relative to the pressure being passed through the pipe as well as the size of the turbo. All's I'm saying is that the air volume & flow will be greater and will travel much faster which should in turn propel the turbo to full speed very quickly than a car with less cylinders. What this will translate into is a much greater reduction in lag over 10ft of plumbing, the bigger turbo will make up for the distance as well and it's that reason alone that they will make so much power because in order to avoid turbo lag you have to get it there faster. If TNT has already built the unit and are going to run it at VOI then I'm probably right, I'm sure they wouldn't bring out something that would embarrass them, let alone make a formal anouncement.

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they come in anywhere between 7-10K and push it as a DIY kit, it will definitely be tempting though. All still pending on whether it works or not of course. :D

Chicago, no offense taken on the ricer comment:) I don't consider myself one either and despise them as well;) Thanks for the compliments on the HP numbers! Likewise on your numbers, it's always impressive to see the high HP Vipers put down with such low boost!

As far as the lag, you are right, with as large an engine as a Viper has it will be less laggy given the same turbo, and rear mounted setup) than a smaller engine car for sure. But having the turbo that far back is definitely not optimal. Russ was also right with his comment about heat. The hotter the air spooling the turbo the better.

If it was my Viper and my $$$$ buying a turbo kit, this would not be my first choice. I would go with a more "conventional" setup like J H, or Heffner (or others) uses.

Supra,

dies

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did anyone see this car at VOI? I was told today on the phone that it is a stroker and produces 900rwhp on 8lbs of boost. Also sounds like STS does hold the patent and will be releasing this as a kit. The price I was told on the phone was AMAZINGLY low...

dies

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$4500. Tuning is going to be the responsibility of the end user ( VEC2/AEM/Whatever you use ). So with an AEM you are talking $7500 or so. Like I said, if it does anything near to what they claim I'd say that's quite the deal compared to everything else out there producing those numbers...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never did $$$ business with TNT, so I really don't have anything good or bad to say. ALTHOUGH, about 2 years ago they told me (via phone) they had a twin screw S/C nearly ready for production that would be better than the Roe unit due to different location of the incoming charge (the rear of the motor). The way they talked it was as good as done, just some final tuning was needed. It's now 2 years later, and no blower I'm aware of.... Needless to say, I'm not holding my breathe on the Turbo, but I do wish them the best of luck in adding another performance option to the others available.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never did $$$ business with TNT, so I really don't have anything good or bad to say. ALTHOUGH, about 2 years ago they told me (via phone) they had a twin screw S/C nearly ready for production that would be better than the Roe unit due to different location of the incoming charge (the rear of the motor). The way they talked it was as good as done, just some final tuning was needed. It's now 2 years later, and no blower I'm aware of.... Needless to say, I'm not holding my breathe on the Turbo, but I do wish them the best of luck in adding another performance option to the others available.

I've noticed they show a twin screw pic in their add in the Viper magazine. But I've never seen anything on it either. Looks like an autorotor compressor just like Roe and Kenne Bell.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I was told:

20K+ for complete base kit 7 psi (cast) - 10 PSI (forged). Installed only at TNT, not a DIY. Is considered a bolt-on since no perminant changes are required. More PSI, more $$$. Turbo is upgradable.

Bottom line: A custom job done in-house at TNT. Call for pricing specifics.

Could be interesting, but frugal folks stay at home - myself included.

P.S. - I was also told they did do other forced induction projects, but this is the only one there currently offering.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drooled over Roy's car at VOI on the last day. 1034 rwhp, 1134 rwtq. The car sounds awesome.

I chatted with Roy for close to an hour, and he had me hooked. Pockets aren't deep enough right now...but I'll be saving some coin for some of his engine goodies.

Lag isn't an issue when you have 510 cubic inches, plus the high exhaust volume. Neat setup. Very impressive.

I very much appreciated Roy's time, and the opportunity to sit in the car, fire it up, and rev the engine. Class act all the way.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George what was the price?
We have got a few figures being thrown around.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to them at length about their car. They said they were going to the track the following wednesday, but I haven't heard any times or any outcome (broke, ran without problems....). Can anybody get a hold of them to see if they will post here and update?

FrankTHutchens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone see this car at VOI? I was told today on the phone that it is a stroker and produces 900rwhp on 8lbs of boost. Also sounds like STS does hold the patent and will be releasing this as a kit. The price I was told on the phone was AMAZINGLY low...

The "gimme $35+K for a turbo" party is just about OVER

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "gimme $35+K for a turbo" party is just about OVER

that would be wrong

you tend to get what you pay for... if you disagree - a 12 second Camaro is always gonna be a better deal than a 12 sec Ferrari! Many would agree

I don't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang