To Tint Or Not To Tint, That Is The Question...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I checked in my 1998 factory sales brochure and there is no mention of tinted glass being standard (or even optional equipment).:(

Can anyone tell me if a 98 RT/10 comes with tinted glass as standard or could it even be ordered at that time? I do not see the darker band around the top of my windshield, usually a dead giveaway that the windows are tinted.:nono:

If they are not, what have others done to cut glare, especially through the windshield?:dunno:

Thanks.

Peter

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sunglasses. :cool: Maybe one of the Viper windshield banners will do the trick?

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, okay, so I lack a bit in the height department....but it still isn't easy to deal with the sun and, yes, I've tried the sunvisor, but then you block the sun at the expense of actually seeing anything out the windshield...can we say, oops, crash???

So,by the comments, I'm assuming that the 98 RT does not have tinted glass.......

For a bone stock RT, think its a bit rice to have a Viper RT/10 banner across the top of your windshield as the "only mod"!!!

Thanks.

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually with our '05 Vert, we removed the sun visors...so just had to rely on our sunglasses in the sun. Guess you could ask around at tint places for tint just in the upper area of the windshield?
~~juli
Haven't seen much sun this summer, but I hear ya on the glare.

BOMBOVIPER93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a black dash carpet down and that seemed to get rid alot of the glare...snake oyl products is where i got mine but there are lots of places that sell them.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The windshield banner, and God knows I'm the expert on rice mods, does little to block sun. Unless you got one with a background. Mine and others I've seen are just letters.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we're talking about tint...how about finding some window tint film online and make a little DIY project out of it? You could always call a body shop, glass shop and see what they recommend or possibly do the window tint for you. I can't imagine a 4-6" strip across the top of the windshield being overly priced. Maybe this place will you the pre-cut strip for the windshield: 1998 Dodge Viper Car Tint

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, thanks all...and Juli, hope to meet up with you soon...are you possibly going to make the OCC event? If not, hope things go well for you and will eventually meet you and Mike at a future event.

Anyway, so from everyone's answers, sounds like Vipers don't do tint......

Rather than do something odd to the car, think I'll manage on sun glasses and may consider doing the dash carpet at some point.

But, regardless, looks like I got my answer.....now, my question is, why didn't they offer tinted glass as standard..can't cost them much more than non-tinted during manufacture?

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Peter~~not to hijack your thread...just to answer your question...unfortunately we are unable to make the OCC cruise...but how about Chuck Tator's Tech Session October 18th? OR the Hunter Mountain Cruise October 26th? Sundays are our best days to attend events. We also are hoping to meet up with you...we have for some time now, haven't we?!! LOL...SOMEDAY!!! ALL my best~~juli

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, Ray Bans....kinda there already. Think I'll figure a way to manage, just wanted to know if my car didn't have something it should.

[Juli: Well, the last year or so has been less than stellar from a health standpoint. Cancer surgery last summer, think we talked about that one and now full hip-replacement on right side coming soon on Oct 3rd. So, the OCC event is pretty much the last event I can make for a little while...as it is, getting in the darn car is an event in and of itself!!! According to the surgeons, 15 years of Karate followed by 6 years of body building was main contributor to hip damage.]

Anyway, back to tinting, if that is the way the car came from the factory, then that is how it will stay...maybe I'll wear a few pairs of sunglasses together on those "really sunny" days.

Thanks for all the info...appreciate it.

Peter