To Weird, But this morning I saw a Z06 hit the wall...

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a repost from my reply to the

"Viper GTS slams into the wall @ VMP tonight racing me"

I'm sitting here and decided to go ahead and make this a separate post:

WOW, check this out, this is no JOKE….

This morning at Fallon, NV Top Gun Raceway, I was second in line behind what looked like 2003/2004 Z06 and an older 1950's style truck which were making the first run of the day at around 9:00am. I was in the left lane behind the truck and my friend was behind the Z06, we are both staging, getting ready to warm-up our tires when I look up and see about 200 yards down the track the Z06 has crossed over into the left hand lane and has just smacked the left side wall with his rear bumper, and then BAM the truck under a full skid smacks into his passenger side door. I was told the guy in the Z06 started to spin the tires a little, he tapped the brakes, started to slide worse, tapped the brakes again, the slide got worse, then he panicked and locked up the brakes and started doing 360's and spun into the left lane ahead of the truck, hit the wall and then got smacked by the truck. No one was hurt, but the Vet was beaten up pretty bad. It took about 45 minutes to get the vet towed off the track and everything cleaned up. The rear axel or suspension on the vet appeared to be broken, the rear tires were pointing in opposite directions.

Needless to say I was a little shaky on the first run after seeing what just happened to that guy, Hell I have spun the rear wheels up on the viper a bunch of times and had it do that little step out as I lightly get off the throttle to let it hook up again. I never really though that a little wheel spin like this would cause someone to hit the wall, and I never thought about someone spinning into my lane and taking me out. I have only been to the track a couple of times, call me naïve, It took a little nerve to do the first few runs and I was very careful today…

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
******* should have put it in competition mode and that couldn't have happened. Traction controll is off, but Activec Handling stays on. It doesn't affect the car unless it get out of line sideways etc.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first pass of the day is frequently slick. I've had our SRT light up both rear tires going into 3rd - the key is not to let your ego get the better of your judgement, and just get out of the throttle.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Ben. Nearly EVERY crash I've see at the track goes something like this. Car starts to spin tires, car gets a little sideways, drivers stays on it, corrects with tires spinning, car over corrects in opposite direction, driver lifts to straiten the car, oops too late, car zings across track into the wall. Unless your a pro racing for $$ there is no need to stay on the throttle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery