Tommy Archer: GRM Ultimate Track Car Champ

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The story is in this month's issue of Grassroots Motorsports Mag -
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/092007/november-2007-issue.php

Tommy drove a European spec GT3 comp coupe in the large displacement professional class (named shop varsity). Alot of variety were involved (Noble M400's, Moslers, Ariel Atoms, World Challenge supercharged NSX etc.) and other professional drivers (Chip Herr). I expect GRM allowed Dodge to participate with the ultimate factory car and driver to set the benchmark. The closest to this mark was Danny Popp driving a C5 Z06 - I would say his efforts at taking the overall top spot remind me of the PMUM and Erik Messley days of showing up to World Challenge with an open trailor and a radio flyer packed with tools.

I drove in the class "for guys that have other jobs but own a fast car" (named independant study). Our class was the largest, with 19 competitors. I was able to get outta there with a podium spot even though I had issues all day long - something very atypical with my car and generally atypical with the Viper. That aside, it was an excellent event.

Since this was the first annual UTCC, I expect this event to grow significantly, and will probably see some even faster machines and nuts driving them, like One lap of America. Anyways its a good read and thought anyone with tracking interest would get something out of it...