Too big for a viper?

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a 2000 GTS with 777 miles on it! The car is out of state. Last time I got the bug, a few years ago, I went to a dealer lot and sat in one and did not fit. My left knee seemed to hit the curved dash near the door. Was something just adjusted wrong or am I just too tall. I am 6-4. I fit well into my Z06, but have ALWAYS wanted a Viper. Any other 6-4 folks out there?

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a MN VCA Member that is 6' 5" and has both and RT/10 and a GTS/ACR...He lowered the drivers seat 2" and also replaced the stock steering wheel with a slightly smaller diameter MOMO wheel...He is very comfortable now...Must be, he's always sporting one or the other!

S

SUN RA KAT

I'm 6'5" tall and 330 pounds and with the Northwind 2" seat lowering kit I have enough headroom to wear a racing helmet. I have the front of the seats tilted and shimmed up about 1 1/2" to give me more leg room. I'm very comfortable driving, but it's hard to get up and out of the car. Probably the way Vipers are supposed to be. :D

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'3", and at first, I hated how uncomfortable it was. My knee hits in the same spot. You really get use to it though. I haven't lowered the seat, but I understand that if you do, it makes all the difference in the world. Buy the car!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same here...im 6'-3", 285lbs and longer bottom half than top. like you my left leg was jammed in the left side of the dash. without the 1" drop I would have a tough time sitting in it let alone driving it. now its perfect and the seat moves so my wife can drive it or my friends who are shorter than me.

iwantaviperbad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's definitely good to hear. I'm 6'3, 240 lbs, and was worried if I'd fit into a viper comfortably or not. Never sat in one before. Anybody know if the interior dimensions (legroom, headroom) are the same in the srt-10?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sat in one yesterday in the showroom and they feel the same or more comfy. but it had the top down.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" and have no problem but, the key is to wear some small shoes in order to be able to have your left foot under the clutch otherwise my left knee do hit the dash.

Luc.
00GTS

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm 6' 3.5", 235#, and I got the Northwind 2" drop. This mod left the seat bottom extremely flat and level, which is fixed by getting longer bolts, and putting a stack of washers in the front, tilting the seat front up, to restore that "bucket" seat effect.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If he gets mad at you, just head for the forest, so he can't chase you with his s/c'd snake! :)

S

SUN RA KAT

I'll send Babe, my pet blue ox after you, so there's no point in trying to hide from me in the forest! :eek:

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California
Kgrif, I am 6'3"/200 and just installed the 1" lowering kit. I am still trying to get the seat set up better, but find the height is not pretty comfortable. I have a 99 rt 10. My visibility is pretty good now, lots of head room with the hard top on but I am still considering dropping another 1" for the top down wind factor. I live on the north coast of
Calif. and there are lots of sunny top down days but the sea breeze can be cool and its nice to get tucked down into the car as much as possible for that reason. If you live in a hot climate, you may be fine with the 1"kit. Definetely take as long a test drive as you need to be sure, but if you can find the comfort level, you will not be sorry. Awesome car.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'5" (250), and put the 2" lowering kit in the Viper. No problem. Fit perfect.

I've even done a few long drives (5.5 hours) and it's not to bad.

The pedal length and everything is perfect once I'm in the car.

With the RT/10 top off - it's really easy to get in and out.

My girlfriend is about 5'6" and even with the seat 2" down and full back she can drive the Viper with the pedals all the way forward.

I'd recommend the 1" lower kit at least - if someone else is going to drive the car (it still adjusts). If it's just you - go with the 2" lowering kit (it's stationary full back).

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'2, 200 lbs., size 14 shoe.
Driven a GTS twice, stock seats, and I fit very comfortably. No problems with seat position (I drive upright) or interferance with dash and steering wheel. I can use the pedals just fine with my regular cross trainers. Just have to be extra careful with the power pedal while braking. I know there are owners taller than I, but I'd figure I'd throw in my measurements as well.

Even in my Mazda hatchback, I've hit the gas a couple times when braking.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'2'' and drive a GTS. I removed my visors the other days, gained about 2'' or 3'' of viewable windshield. It's great. Haven't lowered the seat yet but I may go with the 1'' adjustable lowering kit. My 5'2'' wife drives the car aswell.

COOLASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I,m 6'4" 290#. The seat lowering is great, I wanted to add that there is a clutch pedal adjustment bracket from Sean Roe that will give your knee more room

S

SUN RA KAT

I,m 6'4" 290#. The seat lowering is great, I wanted to add that there is a clutch pedal adjustment bracket from Sean Roe that will give your knee more room

I have that, too. It's a whole lot better than the factory clutch set up.

S

SUN RA KAT

Clutch pedal is the same height as the brake and go pedal like it should've been from the factory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine