Tornado spares Roanoke Motors

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with John Gastman. Yesterday's tornado in Roanoke came within a 1/4 mile of the dealership. They watched as it approached then took cover in the middle of the building. He didn't think any of the outside vehicles were damaged, but hasn't had time to check them out. He said everything near the dealership in the tornado's path was destroyed. The only thing left was mud. John estimated the tornado was 1/2 mile wide. He said he never wants to see another one that close again! Residents were told they probably won't have power for the next 2-4 days. Roanoke Motors is running their phones off a generator. It completely destroyed a manufacturing firm about 4 miles from Roanoke and insulation from that building is littered all over Roanoke's proprerty. I was watching the movement of the supercell on intellicast.com and called the dealership because of the direct path of the storm. John's wife Barb answered and said she couldn't talk because they were watching a tornado approach the dealership. I called back numerous times but all phones had been knocked out. Thank God no one in the tornado's path was killed or injured.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I am glad John and his family are OK!! And hope everyone else in the tornado's path recover also! :usa:

Mike 01 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So glad to here that everyone at Roanoke is O.K. John and Barb are a great couple and the staff there is awsome. I'm a Ford dealer myself and I buy all my Vipers from Roanoke because they treat me the way I treat my customers. I feel for those that were hit by the tornado, living in Missouri I'm use to the power of tornados and the distruction. Hope they all recover and glad there was no loss of life!!!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, on a lighter note.. How many trailer parks were nearby? Apologies if in bad taste John and Barb, however, I must question in all seriousness "Why do trailer parks get the brunt of the tornados as opposed to urban areas".

Jay "A Chicago Native" K.