totaled Gen1, great insurance, looking for Gen2!

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

the worst possible day of my life became not so bad... I recently got cut off by someone, causing me and my Gen1 to spin out. I hit a curb and a street pole, with major suspension damage. The car wasn't driveable afterwards, but I didn't think the damage was THAT bad... Apparently, the State Farm adjuster thought otherwise and called the car a "total loss."

After reviewing other VCA posters and their bad experiences with insurance, I thought I would get screwed by my insurance company... but State Farm gave a great estimation of the car's worth... plus, I bought back the salvaged car from State Farm and sold it to the body shop for some extra $$ !! I'm particularly happy that the car won't be parted out or destroyed. I know others have had horrible experiences with insurance companies (including State Farm), but State Farm definitely hooked me up!!

(fyi, at least in Pennsylvania, insurance estimates for automobiles are NOT done according to blue book; instead, what State Farm did was find a comparable 1994 yellow Viper for sale nearby (in Maryland) with comparable number of miles, and they basically gave me their asking price, adjusting for slight difference in miles and modifications.)

Anyway, I no longer have a Viper :( , but together with some savings and my insurance payment, I now have $45-50k to hopefully get myself into a Gen2 :) !! I'm watching the Classifieds daily, but if someone knows of a clean, <20,000 mile 1998+ GTS (will also consider RT10, but I'm looking for something new!), hook me up!! I'm not a huge fan of red (i prefer silver, yellow, or black (black only for GTS)), and I don't like racing stripes or most wings.... Factory warranty is a HUGE plus. I'm in no rush, but I thought I'd put out feelers.

anyway, hope nobody else has to go through insurance, but if you do, i hope you're treated as well as I was by State Farm.

paul.

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's good to hear that someone was actually pleased with an insurance settlement. I've always had great luck with Allstate, who have had the pleasure of covering three stolen vehicles over my years with them ...

Mike M

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel bad starting another "totaled viper" thread, especially after all the others! I NEVER thought i would be in the same situation, but I learned that a "totaled viper" doesn't mean much... besides some suspension damage, there was hardly any other damage to the car! I would have fought insurance on this one, but they gave me too fair of a settlement to pass... it's Gen2 time!

regarding that 02 GTS, i was definitely interested in that car when tony was selling it individually... i guess he traded it in! my only complaints with it are that I don't LOVE the wing, and the miles are *a little* high.

anyone know that car personally? how does it look... clean, well taken care of, etc? any issues/crashes/past bodywork/etc?

also, can you put a car cover on a car with that wing?

thanks...

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are OK. Good choice on a GEN II. Now is still a good time to shop just before Spring. Low mileage models are a real performance bargain.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every year a couple thousand more Vipers hit the road. With more total Vipers sold there will be more accidents. The percentage may even go down with the better brakes and tires on the newer cars, but expect every year that we will lose some to accidents.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be nice to find out what your Gen1 was exactly, miles, condition....
And
what you received from the insurance company.

Without that number, the story isn't nearly as interesting.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am doing a Gen 1 with 40K plus miles and they are writing a check for over $30K to repair. The branding laws are differant in every state and thier is a lot of leadway by the adjuster, no hard fast rule on when to total a car.

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen1 was a yellow 1994 RT-10; 19,000 miles; slightly leaking headgaskets but no other problems; ran strong, looked good.... I sold the original softtop/curtains after I got Jeff Lemke's 3-piece hardtop/windows; mainly stock except for a few cosmetic goodies and smooth tubes/filters.
State Farm estimated its worth (including sales tax!) at just under $42k.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen1 was a yellow 1994 RT-10; 19,000 miles; slightly leaking headgaskets but no other problems; ran strong, looked good.... I sold the original softtop/curtains after I got Jeff Lemke's 3-piece hardtop/windows; mainly stock except for a few cosmetic goodies and smooth tubes/filters.
State Farm estimated its worth (including sales tax!) at just under $42k.

You got a heck of a deal!

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have a gen 2 for sale. Its of course the best color combo.....B/W, 96'. 7,800 miles. I am asking 53,500 in the autotrader, I offered it here for 51K several weeks ago. I will still take 51K.

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V10SpeedLuvr: I couldn't pass up the compensation, and as hard as it was to give up my viper, the $40k+ (after deductible) definitely eased the blow. :)

viperdrummer: the car sounds beautiful, but my main issue is that i'm trying to stay away from red vipers! sounds like a great deal, though... good luck!

syclone1157: sorry you have to give up the viper, but i hope it's for a good cause! i'm actually looking for a later year GTS (99+), and I don't love the B/W as much as most others! thanks, though... and good luck with your sale also!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
State Farm took care of me as well.
Good luck on the GenII search. Take your time and get what you want. I'm in the same boat.