Track question, SRT10 coupe vs GTS

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock for stock comparison for you guys that have owned both.

On stock tires is the SRT10 coupe really faster on the roadcouse? If so...how much.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes are incredible, and I wish they had put them on all Vipers. There is no doubt in my mind that half the ones that have been wrecked would still be on the road today. Check the 60-0 distance compared to previous Vipers, it's no joke.

If you get a chance, go to the SRT Track Experience. The SRT-10 is so much better, you truly have to drive it to understand.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock for stock there really is no comparison. The stock brakes on the GTS are not in the same league as the stock brakes on the SRT. There are other issues but the brakes are the most obvious issue. I will let others chime in on the other issues.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes..I understand they brake better but will it lay down faster lap times assuming same driver than a GTS?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"yes..I understand they brake better but will it lay down faster lap times assuming same driver than a GTS?"

Curious response. Better brakes generally will allow better and more consistent lap times even if all else is equal. The stock SRT is faster than a stock GTS on a road course.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
actully my response was sent before yours showed up on my computer.

Is there other things the SRT10 Coupe does better on the track that will provide better lap times.

Another way to ask is if I step out of my GTS which runs prepared in Viperdays and get in an SRT10C should I expect to turn a better time. I'd like to know opinions on that.

Thanks,
Carl

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my buddies 03 and the first thing I noticed was the brakes and agree that our GTS's should have had these originally. I also believe that you require a little more skill when you push or drive one of these Gen 1 or 2 beasts at its limits compared to a Gen 3.

I could probably drive the Gen 3 faster but I dont know if it would feel as rewarding. My .02 :2tu:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't personally driven a GTS, but I did have my SRT at Pocono for the Celebration of Design and Speed weekend a couple months ago. I allowed one of the instructors to take a few laps with me as the passenger. He commented that the SRT seemed much faster on the track than older Vipers he had driven. He said that it felt faster and had more neutral handling. He also was surprised at how much better the brakes were.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the average club racer I'd have to say the SRT/10. I had $20K in aftermarket track upgrades on my GTS "never touched the engine" and my buddy in his SRT/10 would scare me when I drove with him and not even break a sweat. The car is so much smoother on brakes and power.

Also Viper Days put his stock SRT/10 in a class above mine with all my upgrades. No comparison. IMO which should not be a surprise. Dodge didn’t fall asleep after the GTS.

The Coupe must be incredible!

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I can run an SRT10 Coupe with a Cat Back and wider tires and still run the same class my GTS runs.

Or I can add 3 points in mods to my GTS and hope I'm faster.

things that make you go hummmmm....

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run both and am trading my srt in for new coupe. . The gts corners and stays flatter,less sway. SRT suspension is too mushy. The ass end stand up under heavy braking making it hard to trail brake. I don't see much difference in the HP. Brakes are night and day. You will be way more confident coming into a corner at 100mph.At gingerman I was 2 seconds a lap faster in my SRT.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is no you would not be in the same class, but go to the Viper Days website and add up the points in the Matrix. My further guess would be with cat backs and 315 tires on a SRT10C you would be in the Super Modified class. I am in the S.M. class with my 03 SRT10 but partially because that is where I wanted to be. I could even still run Michelin slicks and stay in the class but I am sticking with street tires, so far in the Eastern Region I am still in second place. But the person in first is running slicks so she is uncatchable.(SO FAR!!!!)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Having run both, I would have to say the SRT10 will lay down faster times, and yes , much has to do with the brakes, though I think the rear end hooks up better also on the Gen III.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Herr William. The brakes inspire more confidence to dive deep in the corners or at least to go faster before them - I aoften found myslef coasting because I knew I had to brake..... But I also found the car to be overall MUCH more planted in the butt end. Easier to put the power down, WAY less drama.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was over 2 seconds faster in my SRT10 over my GTS at Thunderhill. I felt for inexperienced drivers, you almost have to relearn to drive the SRT. It is faster and brakes better, which means you are going faster and deeper into turns, a little disconcerting for some. Also, the suspension is stiffer and not too stable around bumpy turns. I had a wing on the GTS and felt much more stable with it (of course the slower speeds could of been a factor). My straight away speeds seemed to be close to 10mph faster, also because of the brakes being so good, I found myself overbraking and going too slow around corners.

Just the observations from a relatively inexperienced driver, take it for what it is :eek:

Brad

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh..I've check the matrix, bet on that. ;) I can get the SRT10C under 10 points and still run prepared. Add cat back and 315 fronts and I'm at 10.

My GTS is at 8 now but I could get it another 2 points lower to add stuff later.

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to kinda change the topic. But have any of you ever ran autoX (solo2 I believe they call it) in a Viper. My uncle is heavy into this with an RX-7 and I was told that the SRT-10 was simply too wide to run the courses they do. Keep in mind these were tuner peoples I was talking with.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not in the viper. I have in other cars. Personally I think it would be a waste of time. Hell...It takes me two laps just to get the tires and brakes up to temp at Willowsprings.

I ran it in a lotus super 7....that was a gas.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just got back from the SRT Nationals watching Scotty and LiNay White whip through the Autocross course in their SRT10 ----- too wide , I think not. Ran a 1998 GTS years ago and took two top time of days with the old too wide car. Just a perception that can be proven wrong. It is always funny to hear these comments as the guys running in C Prepared run Camaros, Mustangs, etc with flared fenders and monster tires that make the Viper look downright skinny, yet no one ever mentions they are too wide.

So hang in there and don't worry, it will fit just fine.

Watching LiNay ( SCCA Solo II Champion in a Viper ) whip through the cones in Topeka surprised alot of folks, as this petite young lady hammers around the track with a ton of authority. Trust me, the Snake slaloms very, very well.

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well. thanks for the backup. I was the only Viper fan in a race full of tuners......The top time that day was a S2000. I would have loved for one of you guys to show up and hand their rice asses to them :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only negative comments I have regarding the Gen III for the track is the transition when the rear differential transfers torque (can cause a sudden wag while in a power on turn) and unsteadiness under maximum braking (basically a side to side movement), which reduces confidence during high speed braking. Even with those 2 areas of potential improvement the Gen III walks away from the Gen II. You brake nearly 30% deeper into the corners and carry higher speeds through the corners as well. Easily 2 seconds better at Gingerman.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never tracked a SRTC but I've driven them and been up against them on the track and there is no doubt, stock vs stock, same driver the SRTC will own a GTS easily.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
not to sound repetitive.... but the brakes! night and day. I don't see the need to upgrade them on the SRT unless you are doing some serious trackking in a heavili modded car.

Only drawback is the suspension, I find it too soft for track (even though I have yet to track my SRT) but since I use it as a almost-daily driver I do prefer the slightly softer suspension.

I also find it weird having ABS for the track. Can the fuse be pulled out and disabled? I have yet to look into that.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not to sound repetitive.... but the brakes! night and day. I don't see the need to upgrade them on the SRT unless you are doing some serious trackking in a heavili modded car.

Only drawback is the suspension, I find it too soft for track (even though I have yet to track my SRT) but since I use it as a almost-daily driver I do prefer the slightly softer suspension.

I also find it weird having ABS for the track. Can the fuse be pulled out and disabled? I have yet to look into that.

Careful as you do not want to disable the electronic bias. Without the bias it would be quite an adventure!

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everyone has commented that the difference in time and feel are because of the brakes.

so if you put on a set of monoblock 8 piston calipers with 15 inch rotors in the front and a set of 6 piston 14 inch rotors in the back(same custom set up a lot of cars running at th 24hr le mans and 24hr daytona run) who will run faster?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everyone has commented that the difference in time and feel are because of the brakes.

so if you put on a set of monoblock 8 piston calipers with 15 inch rotors in the front and a set of 6 piston 14 inch rotors in the back(same custom set up a lot of cars running at th 24hr le mans and 24hr daytona run) who will run faster?

SRTC still has 60HP more than the GTS and probably better aero. My money is still on the SRTC.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Quote:
and unsteadiness under maximum braking (basically a side to side movement), which reduces confidence during high speed braking

I have a 05 copperhead vert and noticed the same tail wag with heavy breaking...thought it was me becuuse I'm new to putting a car on a track. I am in the process of putting in SS break lines and the comp coup 2 piece rotors.
Has anyone done this and found it helps eliminate the wag?
I have to admit to the near need to change my shorts when I hit the breaks @150MHP heading into the tunnel turn at Pocono and I got this tail wag going on.
Dave Moore

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
and unsteadiness under maximum braking (basically a side to side movement), which reduces confidence during high speed braking

I have a 05 copperhead vert and noticed the same tail wag with heavy breaking...thought it was me becuuse I'm new to putting a car on a track. I am in the process of putting in SS break lines and the comp coup 2 piece rotors.
Has anyone done this and found it helps eliminate the wag?
I have to admit to the near need to change my shorts when I hit the breaks @150MHP heading into the tunnel turn at Pocono and I got this tail wag going on.
Dave Moore

Tail wag under heavy braking can be reduced with castor and toe in adjustments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog