Transform Euro Spec. 97' GTS to US Spec. which Parts are required?

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transform Euro Spec. 97\' GTS to US Spec. which Parts are required?

Hello everybody,
i'm the happy owner of a 97' Chrysler (not sold as a Dodge here) Viper GTS.
Now i started to convert the Car to US specifications...

The Car made poor 363 RWHP in its Basic Condition.

I removed the Noisereduction&/%&%ç(/)% inside the Aircleaner Housing and added some K&N Filters.
The only Conversion on the Exhaust i made, is a Borla Cat-back System instead of ther very restrictiv dual-Muffler Eurosystem.
I Still keep the original Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds.

After that i got 420 RWHP and about 400 RWTQ in a wide band.

Now i installed a Mopar Performance ECU but i d'ont notice a big gain in HP or TQ...

I heard that there are some other Parts which are different between a US- and q EURO-Spec. Viper... somebody told me the Knocksensor is different...

Is that true?
Does anybody have a list of the Engine Parts Chrysler changed for Export Markets?

Anyway, in future will go for Hi-Flow (or none) Cats, 70mm Throttle Bodys and a nice Set of Headers... maybe you have any suggestions.

THANKS A LOT AND HAVE A NICE DAY! :)

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Transform Euro Spec. 97\' GTS to US Spec. which Parts are required?

This is interesting, since I am possibly moving the other way.
The only thing I was aware of so far is the fog lights I would need to import my car into Europe.

Gonna keep a close eye on this one. Thanks for raising the topic.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Euro vs. U.S. spec Vipers are different in the powertrain only by the air cleaner. The exhaust is more muted for Euro but the number and size of resonator/mufflers is the same. You have already gone past the changes needed to meet the power of the U.S. model. My information has been aging in my head for a couple of years so the reliability is shaky. For the gentlemen sending his car to Europe, you may want to call Bill Pemberton or myself for some tips on homologating it.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For the gentlemen sending his car to Europe, you may want to call Bill Pemberton or myself for some tips on homologating it.

Pull some stuff off a Canadian car ?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transform Euro Spec. 97\' GTS to US Spec. which Parts are required?

Not sure if this applies to the rest of Europe but getting a US spec car into the UK permanantly requires at least one rear fog light, side indicators normally positioned by the viper lettering on the hood, exhaust note of no more than 101 Db's at certain revs, front and rear regulated sized number plates,
headlight and passenger mirror adjustment as we drive on the left (won't apply outside the UK). There are also a few safety issues to pedestrians be considered such as sharp edges (rear wings)

If your having a extended holiday no doubt these regulations won't apply.

On the engine side everything is OK :)

OP
OP
V

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, in Switzerland they made horrible things to reach our noise regulations.

1.The inlet of the Airfilter Box was blocked with a insert, that left only a small 9x1/2 inch hole for the snake to breath.

2. They used special Airfilters... the normal Paper-type with additional 2 inches of foam on it.

3. US and Canada Vipers have only one Muffler in the rear where both Pipes go straight trough.
Mine had 2... one per side.
And they was anything else than good.
Only after 500 Miles of break-in the engine slowly, they was blue colored like headers usually are.

(oh god... my english is getting bad. i'm out of practice.) ;-)

Maybe my snake is not the fastest, but it got his very own story:
My GTS was the last officially delivered blue/white Car in Switzerland.
First, it was ordered by Walther Frey (Swiss Politician and Brother of Emil Frey, which is the owner and boss of Swiss Chrysler/Jaguar/Toyota etc. Import and Distribution) in 1997.
He just made a short testdrive and left the car in the cellar in one of his brothers Dealership.

Only with a few Kilometers on its Odo and a blank title.

I got it 4 years ago by a coincident...

I was looking for a new car in blue/white... after i signed the contract, they called me and said that this color is sold out.
After that i was thinking about to buy something else. Or waiting...

Anyway, 2 days later they offered my this car... a few more (!!!) % below Sticker Price and options for free.

And i took it immediatly. :)

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1,2, and 3 exactly the same here, and i believe all the same throughout Europe

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats on the fab buy. '97 blue white stripes are the best!

Vipers never had knock sensors fitted to them.

Others have found the ECU you changed to didn't make extra power, I think that ECU is designed to work more with the 1.7 roller rockers and other mods also from what I remember about it.

Export Vipers don't usually have the rear / downstream to the cats, O2 sensors; or a skip shift on the transmission either, but thats about it. A few had painted wheels with plastic silver coloured centers also (as opposed to the polished lacquered metal ones).

A set of Belanger headers and decent high flow cats would be a great way to go next.

Enjoy.

PatrickG

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Speaking of Switzerland..

Cars before 30.9.1996 could have gone "up" to 77 dB(A), after that it is limited to 74 dB(A) (certain speed, certain gear).

I know a dealer who imports cars from time to time (not US) and he even had to change tires on some SUVs as they made the car too loud!

CheerZ
GnaeX

OP
OP
V

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you Nadine! :)

Yes Patrick... we live i a Country that kills most of Performance Enthusiasts dreams.

One of my Friends got a cheap (damaged by fire) 97 GTS with US- or Canada-Spec we tried to reach those noise regulations by ourself.

No chance.

We put all the stuff like exhaust etc. from a EURO-Spec car in it... and failed.

At least we covered the whole Enginebay with fireproove and heat resistent Insulation...

After measuring once more, we noticed that even the Tires produced more that 74dB while driving.

That was really bad.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow ! Switzerland seems to be the country to avoid !
Ironically I am talking to a Swiss company but would be based out of Vienna, Austria. Anybody any clue how strict Austria is ?

Thx !

Both Stacks Blowin'

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yves,

If you are coming to Europe (the EEC), which Austria is part of, I suggest that you import your car via the UK. We are the most lenient country as far as rules are concerned and you can then drive the car anywhere in Europe. You will only need to change the registration to Austrian and will not need to go through the whole process of importing it again.

I know of a number of people who have tried to import US cars to France and Spain, given up, come to the UK, done through the process and then taken their cars to those countries.

Let me know if you need help and I will arrange things for you as I did this with my GTS two years ago.

Regards,

Peter. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

OP
OP
V

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That sounds interesting Peter.
Since long time i think about to import one of the last Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec.
There are maybe 3 or 4 R33 and about 1 or 2 R34 Skylines in my Country... only one or two of them got "legal" registration. The others drive arriound with Dealer License Plates.

Unfprtunately Switzerland is not in EEC... but MAYBE they will accept those Documents in my State. Switzerland has 26 States and most of them have a little bit different laws at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456