Transmission Blown, first the diff, now this...

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving a friend home a couple days ago, cruising around, car got warm we hit a stop light so I figured id hammer on it for a quick second. Light turns green I give it the good stuff mostly steering as she's not really hooking up, clutch, shift... second.. BOOOOM. I know immeaditley the trans is done. Car's fine in terms of moving, so I keep it in third and while im turning around to get it to the side of the road I put it in a couple different gears, second obviously fell victim. Car would be fine in neutral, but after about 5 seconds the noise would start. Anyways, got her towed to the dealer and they aren't sure how long the parts are gonna take. This car is not off to a spectacular start with me, same thing happened with the diff when i first got her, and now this. I really feel like pedal down is the only way to truly enjoy the car, but these past instances in the back of my mind just make me cringe of something like this happening. Cant I just drive her hard without something blowing. Its a shame considering the weather in Chicago is shaping up.

YoungDoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey whats up nazology i'm just buying a black viper.. i'm picking it up on thursday... what years ur car? just curious

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a 2003. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy it! Hope everything goes well bro. Post some pics.

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Naz I now the felling when I got my car in May of 05 it was in the shop 48 days (plus 26 days of my own doing 75 total) :eek: within 150 days. Talk about suckage. First was the belt came off 3 times in 150 miles,then the rear end went out at 200 miles, then the clutch at 800 miles, then the cam position sensor cam lose, then the fuel pump went out, then the damper bolt came out. All this within 3000 miles by the end of OCT. But since then perfect. Just put on 400 miles yester day (at 8300 on it now) So dont give up it "should" work out for you. It did for me and it at times felt like it never would. Hey atleast its not through the whole summer like mine was. :laugh:

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Voltage thats wild, not sure how you can deal with that! The funny thing is though the car is totally stock, and I honestly had plans for exhaust, intake and a chip this summer (within the next month) and I just feel like if i add those things, something totally unrelated can go wrong with the car, but its still going to be questioned by the dealer. Basically, I dont think I trust the car yet to modify it. Oh well. She's fine stock anyways.

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was too, but not now. Good idea to just give her some time to work things out. But I would still go for them in the near future.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that *****. I just blew a rod (#2 cylinder) through my SRT Ram a few days ago. It can always be worse...and I've just found out the hard way. Good luck with your repairs.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the same in my 98 - but I did not have a warranty. I you can swing it under warranty, try to get short 5th and 6th gears installed during the rebuild in order to make an omelet out of your broken eggs.

Crazy1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey whats up!

I'm another Viper owner in the Chicago area as well. That ***** on the diff and trans but I swear the best thing all Viper owners can do is replace the stock diff, half shafts and have thier gears treated or changed.

I drive extremely hard non stop and have already gone through three stock transmissions, two rear ends and several half shafts on my 1999 ACR before I learned this is the weakest link in these cars if you drive hard.

I'd call Ron Jr. at SVS in West Chicago to talk about beefing this all up and then you will be much happier being able to beat on that beast the way it should have been designed from the factory.

I just took delivery of my 2006 SRT-10 First Edition and have already experienced major wheel hop that I know will result in some kind of driveline breakage soon if I dont beef up and make some suspension changes there as well. With an intercooled supercharger, headers, exhuast, Race logic launch control, traction control and more I will really need it the extra strength for this one.

On a different note where do you hang out with your ride and/or do you go to the VCA meetings in Schaumburg at Fudruckers ?

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Crazy1, if I had the money to beef up the car I would, but I dont think beefing up a stock car would have been nessecary, maybe if I modify down the road. I dont really hang out anywhere and I haven't had a chance to make it to the VCA meetings mainly because I have class on Wednesday nights. I live in the Loop so im always around Chicago. Let me know where your from exactly.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ament to that. If some special lubrication could solve these problems, we'd all buy the magic potion.

The diff is a very inferior design and weak.

The half shafts are sub standard size and strength in Gen II and Gen III.

The trans is still working in my cars, but I don't have much confidence in it either. Too many failures. A local friend just lost his in a 99 GTS.

UGH!