Transmission Question

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on replacing the clutch and adding an aluminum flywheel when I return from Iraq in a few months (the clutch is hard to depress, is starting to slip, and smells after a few drag runs). On another note, 5th and 6th gears grind when I shift, and reverse is sometimes hard to get into. Looking at T-56 charts, it shows that all 3 of those gears are on the same spline. My guess, from everyone's inputs here, is that the synchros on those gears are probably bad. 1st through 4th gears work well, with no issues.

The question I have is: While the clutch and flywheel are getting replaced, should I have the synchros replaced? My big concern is that somehow the 5th/6th/rev gear problems will lead to overall transmission failure if not treated. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help in advance.
:usa:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should. My tranny break and cost me a lof of $$$ beaucause I had to replace the main shaft too.
However it might be a trouble with just your oil.

This is what happened to me. Priory I had similar symptoms. I was accelerating in 4th WOT then I shifted into 5th gear and again pushed WOT. Suddenly nothing, first I thought I broke my clutch but unfortunately I kicked out my 5th and 6th gear. Have a look on the pics under my galery. My syncs virtualy melted ...

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5th and 6th gear is a known factory issue and many have had it replaced out of warranty. Eventually it won't come out of 5th gear. The most common abuse problem is the 3/4 synchro's, if they are worn get them replaced and put in the steel shift forks with the upgraded pads.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I hope to have Tom Sessions do the work for me, so hopefully he knows of a reputable tranny shop that can do all the upgrades I need.

Jack: I know that a syncro kit runs about $250. Barring having to replace any gears (which I don't think I have to as of now), what do the shift forks run? Thanks!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3/4 fork is the important one, remember the metallic pads on the forks. I just had a trans done, i will pull out the bill and post the component prices tomorrow. I also had the all the gears and shafts micro-nited.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jack! On another note, is the A/F gauge a wideband setup (I see the setup from your gallery)? With that type of gauge, do you need to run to both O2 sensors, or will routing it from one work? Thanks in advance for everything!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of opinions on which a/f system is the best, however, if you do some research, there are multiple reasons to go with Innovate. Their logging/graphing capabilty is excellent. The quality of the discussion forum is the best technical site on a/f anywhere. Even though their gauge has a nice display, don't fall for the trap of trying to use a gauge, you have to log to make sense of a/f.

I just run one sensor, when I dyno I make sure the dyno's sensor is in the opposite side. It will cost you approximately another $200 for the second sensor.