Trouble with viper

Martin Kennedy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted about two weeks ago that I was driving my "00" GTS about 40 mph and all of a sudden it started backfiring, jerking and bucking like never before, I got a lot of suggestions and checked them all. They included checking the battery for corrosion, check that the fuses for the fuel pump in the trunk were engaged, loose wires, and fuel in the tank.
Well it happened again!!!!!!!!!!! I was able to get home, have dinner and when I started the car up and took it for a drive, no problems.
Any other ideas on what the problem could be? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn't any help, but I've had both a Mercedes and a Porsche 911 that did the same thing! I'm sure there are a million things that could cause those symptoms but I never did find out what it was on the Mercedes. On the Porsche it was some electrical thing, a ballast of some sort, that over heated when the car got really warm. It wasn't when the engine got warm, it was the cabin getting warm because this thing was under the driver's seat.

Let me know when you figure it out.

PS. Just noticed another post about "Bad Gas". I don't think it was actually bad gas but you may have a similar problem. You might want to keep an eye on that topic. It might be worth disconnecting your battery to reset your computer (I think that does it?). Have you done the three clicks of the key to see if the computer is registering any problems?

OP
OP
M

Martin Kennedy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Road was smooth,weather was dry, temp.97

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotrodsnhd:
For what it is worth, I learned long ago, that most problems with a "gasoline"type engine is ignition related. What were the conditions when you had the problem? Bumpy road? Raining or wet? air temp cold or hot? I wonder if you may have a simple distributer cap problem, I'd also look for a simple vacuum problem?

maybe that will help

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reaction score
Change the fuel filter; if you got a bad load of gas and the engine gets marginal amounts of fuel it will lean out under certain conditions. If the temp went up at the same time that is even more suggestive.

Besides even if it isn't the fuel filter it is a cheap place to start.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a backfire problem - turned out to be bad plug wires - no symptoms of bucking etc - just a miss and a backfire - sitting at idle it would just pop away - fortunately I was at the track and there was a Viper tech on hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi