Trunk Latch Question on 06' Coupe

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My coupe has the same deck lid issue. Sometimes it "pops clean" and sometimes it doesn't. I too tried adjusting the rubber stops but that didn't help. Sometimes I have to push the button twice, sometimes I just lift as I push the button.

No issues with my vert. Pops perfectly every time at 35K miles.

Dan

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper X,

The converts and the coupes use two entirely different mechanisms. We have both in my family too, and we compared. Not the same beast.

Mark,

Here are those pictures you emailed me, I'll try it tonight or this weekend:

2007_0611McClain0007.JPG

2007_0611McClain0008.JPG

2007_0611McClain0010.JPG

2007_0611McClain0009.JPG

Jon

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just fixed the trunk release problem on my 06' Coupe and am very happy! :D :D :D
I know there were alot of Coupe owners that chimed in on this post saying they have the same issues and I'm glad that the fix for it is easy. No reason to take it into a Dealer. Took me about 3-4 min. Thanks Mark!!! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What did you do, bend the metal piece in the picture?
Yes, but your really bending it at the pivot point. Place the wrench exactly where you see it in the picture and apply pressure a little at a time. Don't be a bull with it! It is a pretty thick piece but you will see that the end position of that lever eventually looks like it is in the final two pics posted. You will notice that it definitely begins to sit lower than the original position. Keep closing and opening the trunk until it works without that catch feeling.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont understand which direction are you applying pressure?

Flash

Reading is funamental..

here is a repost of post above from Mark explaining:

I am sorry to dredge this thread up but I have fixed a couple of these on the coups by adjusting the small spring loaded cadium plated arm that pushes up on the latch when the trunck is released. If you carefully grab the arm inside the channel with a plyers or even a small Cresent wrench and bend it down just a bit it will push the hatch up farther on release and your problem will be solved!

If I had the right to post pictures I could show you exactly what you need but since I am not an owner that will never happen! :)

Mark Jorgensen

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow,

As voi9 said, it takes only a couple of minutes. Very simple fix.

Trunk now "pops" up clear of the latch as it likely should have from the factory.

Thanks Mark

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry to dredge this thread up but I have fixed a couple of these on the coups by adjusting the small spring loaded cadium plated arm that pushes up on the latch when the trunck is released. If you carefully grab the arm inside the channel with a plyers or even a small Cresent wrench and bend it down just a bit it will push the hatch up farther on release and your problem will be solved!

If I had the right to post pictures I could show you exactly what you need but since I am not an owner that will never happen! :)

Mark Jorgensen

Thank You for the info!!:2tu:

I'll be making this adjustment over the weekend hopefully!

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Uh Oh! Tried the latch when I got home today and it seems to be doing it again.:( Wonder if I should try to bend the lever a little more?:confused:

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine seems to function properly now, thanks. Now answer how to make it close without having to really close it hard, yes I keep a door open, still takes more of a push than I think it should.

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine seems to function properly now, thanks. Now answer how to make it close without having to really close it hard, yes I keep a door open, still takes more of a push than I think it should.
I too have to slam the trunk lid pretty good to get it to close on the first try with the windows and/or door open.:dunno:

Reaction score
This is the part that will be better off fixed by adjusting the bumpers on both the middle and rear of the hatch. Excessive pressure is probably the cause. If this does not work I would have a dealer adjust the striker so it lines up better but the bumpers may get you there. ;)

VOI94of100

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same here... I tried bending the actuator lever down just slightly, and it improved the problem slightly. At least now it pops totally free from the latch sometimes.

VOI94of100

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same here... I tried bending the actuator lever down just slightly, and it improved the problem slightly. At least now it pops totally free from the latch sometimes.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, show me how? Next time I see you Saturday at the show in Irivine I bring a wrench & buy you a coffee. Mike

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im having the same issues, not popping and hard to close, slamming required so much that ive not even been able to close it tonight, and will have a better look tomorrow

anyone have a copy of Marks pics ?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy dead thread batman....I forgot about this one. The quickest fix is to open a window or door before opening or especially closing the hatch. Mine will absolutely not close if the doors and windows are closed. I do not have the pics that you mention, I have gotten so used to doing it the way I have been I forgot that it was even a problem

boosted349

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have an 08 and whan i first bought it my remote would actually open the hatch. now all it does is unlock it

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
many thanks to The Wizard :2tu: and Baz for email/telephone remote assistance

im all sorted, the lock was stuck in the closed position thats why it wouldnt close at all, but now its fully adjusted so it pops open first time and no more slamming to get it to close either, just a gentle push, which is nice :usa: only took 10 minutes and some minor movements

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news Neil.....

All sorted for Silverstone then.... And it saves me a northern trip as I get cold up there.... LOL!!!

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to dredge up an old post (but that's what the search option is for, right? <grin>). The pics that were posted some years back aren't showing up. I was looking for a way to adjust the rear hatch so it might open on the first "pop". I have to pop it a couple of times before she'll open.

bbirch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently obtained a new latch mechanism for my '06 Coupe as the alarm function failed. The lifting lever and heavy spring are not on the replacement part. Now the Hatch closes easily as you don't have to overcome the lever springload. Since the latch is two stage, you need to be lifting up on the hatch as you press the key fob. Or use the key and lift. Takes a while to get out of the old habit, but the hatch didn't "pop" clear anyway on the first click. Actually, this is an improvement, IMO, and works more like the newer Coupe models with the membrane switch and manual lifting.

F

FrgMstr

I hate to dredge up an old post (but that's what the search option is for, right? <grin>). The pics that were posted some years back aren't showing up. I was looking for a way to adjust the rear hatch so it might open on the first "pop". I have to pop it a couple of times before she'll open.

I would like to see these as well. Bueller? Bueller?

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an odd problem opening the rear hatch on my 08 coupe. If the car is running I can only open the trunk if the parking brake is set :dunno: Is this normal? I know many of you won't notice this problem since someone else needs to be in the drivers seat with their foot on the brake to prevent the car from rolling away :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte