Trunk Top Design (Gen 1)

zzeck1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been considering getting the Truck Top Design with windows from Mach7. Has anyone had experience with these tops who could tell me the good, bad and ugly on what to expect?

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure thing, I have the 3 piece Trunk Top

Pros
Can be put in the trunk when not in use
Once the initial prep work is done, installation and removal is simple and quick

Cons
Leaks in the rain
Requires you to remove the sport bar for installation
When in the trunk, you have no trunk space leftover
Very limited headroom - important if you plan to track the car

So I got the 3 piece so that I could run as a roadster most of the time and have the security of having the roof in the trunk. The other hardtop options don't fit in the trunk so they are either on or off, if you are out on a drive and the weather turns on you it is nice to have the roof in the trunk....I should add that my soft top was broken, so that wouldn't fit in the trunk either.

Reality says that I either have the roof on or off. I think I would have preferred the extra headroom of the Autoform double bubble. I don't know that there is a Gen 1 hardtop that doesn't leak.

If you go the trunktop route, consider a seat lowering kit if you are over 6' .. especially if you are going to take the car to the track, you + helmet doesn't fit very well in the trunktop

Styling, could go either way .... I like both the trunk top and the double bubble designs so this is a purely personal preference.

The biggest question is, what do you plan to use it for? Is the styling important one way or the other? Do you really see yourself putting it on during a drive, or if the weather is questionable just put the hardtop on at home? Headroom?

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the one piece and windows,a little different but the pro/con should be close. The front latches were hard to adjust using the instructions, the back latches didn't pull the top flush without trimming the fiberglass and then the latch assy's had to be modified to pull all the way. The windows look great from a distance but don't seal well and are hard to get just right. Paint match is perfect,as is the headliner.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked one up this past winter and love it. I haven't finished adjusting it yet, but so far it fits pretty good. I don't have the windows to go with it though.

I'm 6'1" and had to lower my seat 2" just to be able to drive it.. Forget wearing a helmet under it.

I say go for it!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one and love it. It leaks a little but only in heavy rain. I really like the look and functionality. You will not be disappointed.

OP
OP
Z

zzeck1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your comments.....I have a double-bubble top now but wanted something a little more water proof. The side curtains do not fit well with the double-bubble I have. Not sure if I like the idea of the sports bar being removed while going *******....so still pondering the idea. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte