TUNERS - HIGH HP/TQ & BLOCK STRENGTH???

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Devildog, you're scaring me; these questions have actually
bounced around in my mind before. Did the weight reduction
from GEN-I to GEN-2, have any relevance to flex of the block?
Aside from sleeve shift of GEN-I, which motor is best suited
for stroking. Other than strengthening the maincaps, what has
been tried to combat block flex(would a steel 'girdle' between
block and oil pan help? Also how will the GEN-III block compare?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can answer #1 about skirts- it's the block material that hangs below the crank centerline. It's what makes the oil pan seem shallow. Your block is already skirted, and no, you can't add more.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bounce.gif
Your request is granted!!!
bounce.gif

With all the POWER AND TORQUE our LETHAL 750 (550c.i., 9.0 liter) produces, we have designed some exclusive parts for those who will drive their cars HARD!!
supergrin.gif

Since our LETHAL 750 develops more power on motor than any other natrually aspirated package to date (650rwhp, 717rwtq), we examined and tested many of the Viper engines capabilities. In the end, we addressed any weak links.

The 2 main areas to address were block strength and longevity!!
bounce.gif

1) Billet main caps with nitride coating and oversize main bolts (resists twisting and increases strength tremendously)

2) Cam bearings. Since the Viper motor has no cam bearings, the cam wears on the aluminum surface. With our exclusive, race-coated cam bearings, the block will no longer wear and the bearings provide a much more friction free surface which will reduce heat, increase, longevity, and maximize power.

This should do the trick and satisfy all of your power needs.

Hope this helps!
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wayne, Those are both great but I think the primary concern was how to keep the bores straight and round at WOT.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTHL VPR:
The 2 main areas to address were block strength and longevity!!
bounce.gif

1) Billet main caps
2) Cam bearings.
This should do the trick and satisfy all of your power needs.
Hope this helps!
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have also worked on building a girdle for the Viper which should eliminate the other concerns mentioned.
Hope this clarifies everything.
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading further to a stroker motor...510 or 545. I've read that the new SRT block is skirted for strength which keeps the bores straight and round at WOT, ensures ring seal and provides a foundation for high HP/TQ enhancements. My questions are as follows:
1) What is a skirted block?
2) Can a Gen II block be aftermarket strengthened or skirted in conjunction with a 510 or 545 stroker modification?
3) Depending on the answers to above, do I need to worry about these issues if going to a Gen II 510 or 545 ie. what are the expectations for engine durability and life if the block is not strengthened?
4) Are there any other engine durability/life issues I should be concerned with in regard to a high HP/TQ Gen II stroker motor?
I want more N/A HP/TQ, however, I also want it to be bulletproof. Thanks in advance for your input.