Twin Turbo goes down to the SRT...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right baby! You can talk forced induction all you want, but today the 'ol Stratomaro walked 'em like there was no tomorrow. Of course I don't condone street racing (too dangerous), so this happened to be a four-lane closed off road (no side streets) and the speeds were only up to the posted limit.

I was headed to the post office, top down and enjoying the warmest day to date in Kansas City this year. Saw this dude zip around a turn and pull in front of me. He slowed so that I would catch up. His plates? "15 PSI". He gunned it a few times just to let me know he wanted to play and I could hear the familiar "whoosh", but I was having no part of it. We then get to a red light and I am still behind him, as some ****** in a Lexus SUV has been doing his best to keep me out of that lane. No biggie. The light turns green and WOW! The TT belches out a quick puff of smoke and then starts going sideways as he lays into it. Hits second (short gears) and again starts going sideways. That sucker could FLY! Of course, I goosed the SRT and passed him on the left, having left the Lexus back behind. We then maintained our legal speeds and he pulled up next to us. I yelled "Supercharger?!" "Nope, twin turbos!", was the reply. "Wow! That car is AWESOME!" I yelled back in complete sincerity. "No replacement for displacement!", he yells back with a smile.

And with that he was gone, top down, roll bar shining. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was a Miata. :D And a heck of a fast one at that!

Chris

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twin turbos on a 4 cylinder?

I have a friend with a supercharged Miata, and they are very quick because of their light weight.

Anyway, it sounds like a fun run!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twin turbos on a 4 cylinder?

Yeah, I wondered about that too. I don't know if you can fit more under there than 4 cylinders, but it did have dual exhaust and just seemed a little beefier than a 4-****** by the sound. I also thought it sounded more like a supercharger, but what do I know - I just have this regular old Dodge! ;) Next time I will try to get more time to talk with the guy if I see him.

Chris

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With you in that sleek, shiny black, SRT-10 Viper, I'm sure that he was trying to impress you with the "twin" turbo comment.
At 15PSI, he was most likely running a single turbo, which still is pretty fast in a Miata.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Chris, you made that kid's day! :)

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right after I had my Corvette modified I had a kid and his girlfriend in Dad's Volvo want to drag me. Kid told me he had a chip installed that added 120 horsepower. Uh huh.
Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte