two stage nitrous system

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i want to do a 2 stage nitrous system but can't decide if the nos progressive system or the nx one is better.

my a/f goes below 10:1 after 4250 rpm. so i was thinking of shooting some xtra n2o at that point. wish nos or nx would make a rpm based controller instead of a time based one.

with the stock creampuff motor what is the most n2o my motor can withstand? someone on another forum says he has sprayed over 350 hp shot on a progressive dual stage system on a stock motor. is it possible???

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible, but only if you want your motor to last about a day! 200 is about all I'd recommend, and I blew my creampuff sky-high with that! I know a guy that ran 300 for a while with no problems to speak of. If you wanted to do that, I'd definitely do direct port. The big V-10 is a pretty long motor, and a lot gets sucked in before the charge gets to those back cylinders. Safety first! ;)

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see where 350HP of nitrous would be any different than 350HP of
S/C - as long as the A/F was under control and the timing advance was scaled
back. As more and more progressive controllers role on the market -
it's a shame we are excluded to most. The Jacobs Mastermind unit is an interesting RPM unit - but only available for 8 cylinder ignitions. Maybe someone can find a way of conditioning the (+)current signal off the coil pack
that fires 4 cylinders(dual firing) - you would replicate a V-8 signal.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there are too many 750 hp creampuffs with stock bottem ends running around. Am I wrong? Have been before!

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there are too many 750 hp creampuffs with stock bottem ends running around. Am I wrong? Have been before!

I don't think the bottom end is the limiting factor at that HP, but
the cast pistons would have to go. I think the stock crank is pretty much
a main stay with most of the upgraded Vipers - be it NOS or S/C

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pistons are what I was referring to. The crank and rods are pretty darned stout! I consider anything under the heads, the bottom.

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i talked to arrow racing, they told me the cast ones are just as strong as the forged stock pistons. they said they both sucked.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cast is as strong as forged. Riiiiight. And I always thought Arrow knew what they were talking about. lol

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how big of a shot blew your motor carrot? i have run about a 235 shot to the motor on my creampuff with propane and gas set-up.

like hp said, i would think as long as you have enuff fuel the motor should be ok. the only thing i am worried about are the pistons. anything else i should be worried about?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 200 shot on my 01 R/T. No propane. The ring lands all let loose. The forged pistons might not be a lot better quality, but the lands are further down on the pistons, so they aren't as prone to letting go. The rods and crank are forged, and pretty darn strong, but the hypereutectic pistons..... not so much. I had a warranty that covered it, but I usually call that thing my wallet. lol I pulled the heads, and 9 of 10 pistons looked like crumbled cookies, so I didn't even waste my time trying to get it warranteed. I've had nitrous on 5 or 6 cars and I've never had a catostrophic failure, but I sure did on this one. It ran like a champ when it was on though!

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you going to run n2o on the new acr carrot?

so i take it not many people are running a 2 stage progressive system on their creampuff.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, I think I'm leaning towards a blower. I love the thought of having almost as much power available all the time. Refilling, heating/cooling, etc. wears me out. lol I just want to hit the go pedal and have it there.