Uconnect and Android Phones

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides trying to get the break-in miles put on the new hotrod, I have also been playing around with the bells and whistles on the car. I discovered something yesterday that those of us who have Android based phones should probably know. Uconnect has a problem accessing the contact list in Android based phones. While you may have had a different experience than me, there is definitely a problem between Uconnect and the Android O/S. For me, the problem manifested itself by not downloading my entire contact list but rather only 1/4 to 1/3 of the list. The automatic display of text messaging is also affected by this anomaly. I receive some text messages on the console and others I do not. If after you register on www.moparownerconnect.com and then register Uconnect in the car by hitting the Apps button you receive messages on your phone that ask you to allow access to your contact list multiple times even after you have touched the OK button on the message prompt, you will know you are experiencing the problem. The way it is supposed to work is that each time you start your car Uconnect reads the contact list in your phone and makes the appropriate changes between what it has and what it read in your phone. This feature is not working for me and I am told by Uconnect support personnel that it is a problem they are working on with the different carriers to resolve. To be clear, this is not a Uconnect problem but rather the way the Android O/S handles contact list access. The good news for us droids is that the problem is being worked on now and that when it is resolved we will not need to take any action as the 'fix' will be automatically updated on our Uconnect system. I have yet to play with all of the apps as some of them are of no interest to me but I can tell you that the phone remote app works just fine. You can lock, unlock, and blow the horn from your phone. This feature would be way more useful if our cars had remote start but at least it is working as advertised. And for all you iPhone folks, supposedly all Uconnect features are working as advertised. Guess us droids are step children. LOL

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have noticed this also; some texts appear....some don't.

Have you streamed audio from your phone yet? I get a hiccup ever hr or 2 that the audio device is not present but reconnects and continues where it left off.

Using my wife's Iphone5 works flawless as you described.

Are you picking up 3G on u connect in Abilene? If I attempt to play with the app's and select "gauge 2" with only 1X the app menu freezes and cannot be used until the unit is powered off and back on.

My Uconnect app on the phone does not work. Ive attempted to lock the doors in both 3G/1X area and receive an email a few minutes later that the service could not be performed

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I am picking up 3G in Abilene. I have not tried streaming yet but will soon. Today will be spent getting the car ready for a SunTek film treatment tomorrow. (Fascia and Sills) I think when Uconnect can get their issues with Android worked out we will see much better performance on our Android phones. Question is, how soon will that be? Guess we shall see.

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I currently have the Galaxy s3 and awaiting the 4.2.2 update......maybe this will help with some of the issues.

The Uconnect in the 2011 Ram's would not communicate with an android after the jellybean software update. I sold the truck shortly after for a 2012 with the same unit. A few months later Uconnect was updated and never had another issue.

Technology is something eh? LOL

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Galaxy s4 with the 4.2.2 load and unfortunately am having the problems. Maybe they will get it fixed soon.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do mobile dev for a living and Android is a fickle beast, the same OS on different phones by even the same manufacture will work differently... Just a cluster!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Samsung S3 with the droid os. It connects to both the G5 and a 2013 Jeep. The carrier is verizon. The only hiccup was that early on it lost the address book in the G5. Originally the G5 and the phone would communicate about every 15 minutes and it would chime each time. That has stopped.

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great, Jack. My carrier is Sprint and like ViperSmith said, each carrier and each phone can have a little different implementation of the Android O/S. Apparently Verizon's is a bit more compatible with Uconnect than Sprint and some of the others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960