Under Drive Pulleys

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But that makes movies rate 1/24 seconds.
Why can't we detect the 24 frame/sec flicker?
I guess they did call them "flicks".

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure, however, I believe the FPS of movie film is faster. On the other hand, your point is valid if you take a look at some older movies that is why they appear notchy. That 1/32 sec is also an approximation and each eye is little different.

There is also some change in the way the eye will focus all the way out to the side. Get near an end-of-life fluorescent lamp and you can actually see the 60 cycle arc in the lamp.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm an old microwave EW guy. I uesd to tell the newbys that I could see the microwave. ;-)

I believe the 1/32 figure and I guess the 1% voltage being visible is probably true also.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motion pictures actually look pretty fluid around 15 frames per second. B&W silent films were hand-cranked at 18FPS, and looked pretty good. Most were re-recorded to the standard 24FPS format to run on regular projectors, but that's why old silent films look like everyone is running around.

Usually film won't look jittery at 24FPS unless the projector is poorly maintained.

Some people can see the flickering of fluorescent lighting (60Hz), and usually those same people are also bothered by the visual artifacts created by the color wheels in DLP digital front projectors. :eek:

Most people can see the jumpiness of a 60Hz refresh on computer monitors, but with others it will give them a headache or eye strain. So most people raise the refresh rate to 72Hz+.

The light output difference with my previous Mustang was the same as low-to-high beams, which is no doubt what pissed people off (thinking that I was flashing my high beams at them). :(

For under $100 for the pulley and belt, I can see swapping in a new pulley. I just don't want the variable-light-output problems that I experienced before. :eek:

-Dean.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone told me that the Vette guys use a smaller crank pulley to slow everything and then the put on an overdrive alternator to speed that back up to avoid dimming.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said I do not see any difference in temperature or charge rate (visible). It is only an hour job. If you don't like it, take it off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4