Uneven Brake Pad Wear

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After nine hours of track time, my new Brakeman 3 pads were all worn down about a one-third except for the front driver-side outboard pad, which was worn down about two-thirds. Any ideas on why the exception? Maybe a single defective pad? Caliper piston issue? I haven’t experienced uneven wear before with the stock pads, and this was my first time to use the Brakemans. To the extent it might affect the analysis, I admit that I neglected to install any of the metal heatsink plates when I installed the Brakeman 3 pads. I’m sure my oversight resulted in my brakes getting hotter than they would have otherwise, but it was a condition that was identical all the way around.

Also, is there a problem replacing only that one pad with a new pad, or is there some performance reason that I should avoid putting on pads of different thinness? At $450 for a compete set all around, I would really rather prefer not having to replace the other seven pads.

Thanks for your thoughts.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I wouldn't skimp on the pads, you should change them all the way around in my opinion. The motto is (you play you pay) :p

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DITTO, I have only used stock and Mintex pads. The only uneven wear I've seen has been symetrical on inner and outer pads. Therefore, I just replaced all calipers with rebuilt ones so now I have a spare set to carry with to the track events. Not to mentioned two extra sets of front and rear pads. Like the commerical said,"PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER". "NOW" is always cheaper.

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not one to skimp, but I would like to know (if anyone knows) if there is some performance reason that I should avoid putting on pads of different thickness. I'm not looking for the easy way out, I just want to have an understanding of all the issues. That was my second question above. If nobody seems to know the answer, you guys are right, I'll replace all the pads, agreeing that it's better to be safe than sorry, but it would be more satisfying if I knew why it was the right thing to do, as opposed to merely "just in case."

My first question is more concerning to me, actually: Why would one out of eight pads wear twice as much as the other seven? Anybody?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would one out of eight pads wear twice as much as the other seven? Anybody?

It is more like one out of four pads considering front/rear bias makes the front and rear brakes somewhat independent of one another.

I suspect the pistons on the side of the worn pad move more or less freely than the other pistons. Maybe the rings are worn a bit. Rebuild both front calipers should fix it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Given some help and the proper tools, you can test the calipers with load cells and with hydraulic guages if you are interested...and, possibly localize the problem to a piston problem or a line problem.

Before suggesting all of that, I would ask if your 9 hours of track usage was on the same track going in the same direction??

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. And yes, the nine hours of track time was all on one track going in the same direction.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe when you are comeing into a apex turn at high speed, you slam on the brake's and there for all the momentem is going forward and as you are turnig left and at a downward angle, all that weight is being applied to the front left brake. And vice versa if you are turning right, are there more left turn than right? just my .02