Unflattering Comments About Our Beloved Viper

K-80-123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
People are jealous of the looks, power and handling of the Viper....I can see nothing on the street can keep up if we decide to push it.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Robb Report...................................let's see, Robb backwards is BBor!! The double bb's symbolize , phonetically, what a complete snooze this rag is. Surprised they didn't mention that you get no Grey Poupon with a Viper.

Earl

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny, I don't recall people asking me about the lack of traction control, navigation system, heated seats, etc. as they admire (AKA drool) over the viper at stop lights, gas stations, taking photographs of the car, etc. The writer obviously has mental issues that need to be addressed immediately by a professional. I would shoot him before he picked up my daughter.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Folks, I don't expect to win popularity votes with this thread, but here is my take on the Robb Report review. Apologies to all, but hey...its just my opinion.

1. Dodge made an important, ultimately damaging decision when it decided that extra vents and "hot wheels" colors were going to replace a dedicated, brilliant and much needed face lift. The engine is, of course, most remarkable as are the upgrade in the drive train and brakes, but....the body and most certainly the interior of the new Viper would make Bo Duke happy and Hutch to look forward to hanging with Snoop Dog....

2. The Robb report is the place to go for Euro trash vehicles. If they suggest that an 80k car will beat the pants of a $300k car, things go badly for them and their advertisers. EXPECT them to diss the less expensive American alternative as nobody is going to buy $1,400 luggage to go in the back of a Viper.

3. The time has come for Dodge to recognize that the body/interior team they have are in need of a closed door session in management "encouragement"...and thats if they have cash at all to retool. They get one more chance....to get the body back on track and ahead of the curve. In lieu of that, the single greatest reason to go to the new model (past the remarkble engine/drive train mentioned above) is the very real possibility that, as Dave666666666 says "they are all FEs".

4. Now, having said all that...what in God's name are you reading a rag like Robb Report for and who the hell cares what those misguided snobs think? They place the AUDI R8 as their car of the year.....how hopeless is that? The Audi has a remarkable interior.....that is it....an interior....they are interior people....these are the folks that pay $28,000 for a bronze sculpture that only Steve Martin could love....they make up the 3% of people that don't immediately delete spam on the subject of "***********"....

Apologies to all...

Last edited by a moderator:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think any apologies are need for that post. Everything is true. I bought my 08 with the thought of it being a FE and for the 600HP:headbang: but I am not thrilled about the body. I would rather drive my 94 if its not on the track. but it is funny that nothing said in the artical rings any truth except that the viper has a plastic interior. but thats just so its easier to clean the vomit off the dash when one of these idiots gets a hot lap in one.:rolaugh: its clear that nobody at Robbs crack house can make heads or tails of a comparison chart. what car can beat the Viper in more than one test and doesn't cost $300 to change the oil?? There may be faster, or better handeling, or more options, or better priced cars, but not one car can beat the viper in all those catagories. Hats off to Dodge for making the best:2tu:

:usa2:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the perception is that a car which costs $85k should have an interior that impresses, not one that disappoints. Of course nobody buys it for the interior, but I have to ask '***' is up with it? If you are used to driving a nice car, the Viper interior disappoints, period. I am sure the Robb Report doesn't categorize cars by price, but the expectations are lower for a car like the Z*6 which costs $15k less and billed as a 'bargain' sports car. The Viper isn't billed as a 'bargain' car, yet lacks sophisticated devices like tc and esc (YA, I GET IT). I haven't even been in a Vette for 15 years and don't care. I do wish that Dodge would give you a little more value for the MONEY. Where is the value for $85k? Put heads on a GTS and you have 600 HP. It shouldn't cost this much money. DROP THE PRICE!

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only hand built car in America....thus the $85K.....labor costs!!! What would YOU do to change the interior that is so bad? The interior in my 05 is MUCH better than my friends new 08 Vette! The paint on my car is hands down MUCH better than the 08 Vette that is covered in orange peel. His vette loaded was $60k....I paid $65K for my car with 2,400 miles and it is hands down MUCh better than the vette! My wife's Mercedes has decent interior you would say, but not that much different than my Viper. New body style? I love the Gen III or I wouldn't have bought one. (05, Comm. Edition) Everywhere I go, thumbs up, pictures being taken, stopped at the gas station and asked questions over and over. People saying, beautiful car!! I just don't get it! If you are so unhappy with the style, the interior, etc. etc, then why buy it!? Go get a Ferrari, or even a vette and see what it's like to own one compared to a Viper. We have a GREAT car, and it's more refined than ever, but still "out there" as far as an in your face street monster!
I'm going to keep mine........it's a fantastic car and I'm very happy with it, S/C'd, 3:55's, PS2's, Belanger Headers and exhaust included!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plastic = :(

cf = :)

Everyone here seems to want to compare the Viper to a Vette. That isn't a valid comparison, because the same Vette interior is on the C6 at nearly $40k less than a Viper. It should hold up well in that comparison, but you can find a nicer interior on many cars that are in the same price category as an 08 SRT10. I personally think its the 6 sq ft of plastic in the center of the dash & console that has GOT TO GO and should be CF at that price. Also, labor costs don't translate into value for the buck. Spend another $2k and put CF on the console/dash right out of the box and the car would be much better. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can see your reasoning, and I respect that, but I don't care for Carbon Fiber myself, and my dash "insert" is powder coated bright silver (stock on the Comm. Edition) and looks fantastic.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you kind of validate the point Kenneth, with your car. Although you are not a CF fan, you apparantly don't prefer the black plastic dash either. How many people think the stock dash w plain black plastic insert looks "fantastic?" Thankfully, there are choices. Maybe Dodge should send out a few cars with their spiffed up dash options to the rags for comment.

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems like the Viper is being judged in categories it was not built to compete in. The interior is plastic. So what is wrong with plastic? Is Carbon Fiber better? Sure but does it make that much of a difference. With the exception of the housing that covers the Tranny, no other part of the interior is being stressed. (The housing usually cracks because it serves are our arm rest). So yeah that part should be upgraded.
I didn't buy a Viper to have a luxury car, I bought it for the way it looked and how it is a raw sports car. Most Viper owners fall into this niche, they want a car they can drive. It is not a Ferrari or Lambo or Porsche. It was never intended to be. The Viper occupies its own little spot in the car world and that is what makes it successful. Personally, I wish Dodge would offer more options but I am happy with what I bought.

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If a young man came to pick up my daughter in one of these, she'd say "Move over, pansy-boy! I'm driving so I can show you what this thing will really do!" But, then again, she's just like her mom.:lmao:

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
People who read that rag are not Viper buyers anyhow. More likely R8 buyers. They are guys you can see if you look really closely in you rear view mirror. I hope they sell a bucket load of R8's. More feed for us.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a young man came to pick up my daughter in one of these, she'd say "Move over, pansy-boy! I'm driving so I can show you what this thing will really do!" But, then again, she's just like her mom.:lmao:
That's a refreshing perspective! My son's last gf came over in her family's C6, but she drooled over the Viper. I made them take the C6 on their date...I didn't figure it was serious enuf to risk the Viper. I was right, it didn't last. Like 'dog' and 'cat' people, they just don't mix well. LOL:2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So if the brakes are "insufficient" - the R8 has better brakes? As if it would matter since the R8 has such skinny tires.

600hp - most other manufactures make that with a V8? No they don't, and neither is the 400+hp of the R8 comaprable to the mighty Viper engine.

Plastic interior - like the R8? Hmmm does the R8 have Leather seats? The Viper interior isn't as ugly as the R8's.

Stability control came in the 91 Stealth R/T TT's and wasn't considered "all that". Many owners removed the electronic controlled struts and replaced them with better adjustable struts and Eibachs. The Stealth was barely driveable in "Sport" mode which was valved for the race track. Now the electronic stability control is becoing mandatory on Pickups and SUVs as a way to control how easily they roll over and still allow for a decent ride. Stability control is perfect for a Minivan as well. A real sports car a;ready has a stiff ride so the control would be to allow a 'softy' ride.

Traction control is a super duper ABS system, right? And vettes go slower when their systems are turned 'off'. So why put one in a Viper? For snow driving?

I'd guess this rag is all about 'bling', not what makes the car better -but what junk the car has to turn off? There's not too much bling junk to turn off in a Viper and they're disappointed. If the Viper came with Leather seats, I'd be ********** having to spend a thousand for something I can't imagine ever using.

I picked the Viper as "CAR OF THE YEAR" because the R8 has an ugly interior, skinny tires and only barely over 400hp.

TED

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Furthermore, there is NO 600hp made in North America since GM doesn't even make the ZR1 yet. Ford doesn't even plan to make a 600hp engine and the GT never had 600hp. I guess the writers are uninformed or just plain stupid. Paid to lie?

Ted

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Furthermore, there is NO 600hp made in North America since GM doesn't even make the ZR1 yet. Ford doesn't even plan to make a 600hp engine and the GT never had 600hp. I guess the writers are uninformed or just plain stupid. Paid to lie?

Ted
Good point. I think in the world of 'print media' something exists as soon as its down on paper. The Shelby 750HP M'tang, ZR1, 'exist' to them.

I read somewhere, in discussing 'somebody's' (someone VERY knowledgeable about the C6R and ZR1) bid for LeMans, that "nobody" makes a 650 HP production engine that can last 24 hours. Now that is an illuminating statement. Think about it, and that you are getting a 600 HP car, that is warranted for track use! OK, so us track rats only do 20 min stints, but still........

Last edited:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know why people ***** and moan about the interiors of these cars.

Did anyone complain about the Ferrari F40?

Have these reviewers ever driven, let alone SAT in one of those?

Half a million dollars gets you CRANK windows and a piece of WIRE to open the doors.

But it's a Ferrari, oops can't criticize that

Enzo? Carbon Fiber everywhere, but for 1.2 million USD where is my GPS?

I'll NEVER forget the magazine review from the mid 90's where C &D or R &T did a comparo between three sport coupes.

BMW 3 series
MB CLK (they were supplied the 430 instead of the 320 they were supposed to get)
Some Audi or Volvo or something

Now, back then these car rags were ALL BMW nut swingers (probably still are) BMW could do NO WRONG.

So, here is this comparo. Entry level 3 series with inline 6, vs a 275HP MB V8 powered top of it's range, vs FWD deal.

Any RATIONAL human being would have picked the V8 Benz. It was 20K more, had a load more accoutrements, honkin V8 and POWER everything.

Damn magazine picked the BMW. I couldn't believe it. It seriously was a "***" moment for me.

That was when I stopped reading those things.

Robb report.....I've read that from time to time. Caters to a market segment I don't care to associate with or understand, let alone rile me up on their so called authority on what is right in the automotive world.

Stick to Caviar and Robin Leach, Mr. Robb.....I'll stick to "ERL" changes and Boinin wubbah!

Viper/Z06 is the smart man's "Prancing Donkey"

viperman303

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like TR, we speak softly and carry a big (actually the biggest) stick. They write about pricy for the pricy but probably can't afford a Viper. We might say things like that too if we couldn't afford one.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whenever anyone driving a new pickup asks me how I can afford to buy an impractical Viper, I ask them how they can afford to drive a huge pig with way less mileage than my Viper and point out that they have an empty box with a huge quad cab and NO passengers. They shut up real quick.

They paid about $50,000 and I paid about the same price. I didn't want a new 'ordinary' Viper so I shopped and bought a $150,000 Viper with a few thousand miles (well broken-in). Usually my Viper is in better shape than their new truck. And my car takes home trophies.

Ted

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read that article as well and I know the writers/testers just simply don't get it. The Viper isn't a 600hp shell wrapped over a Bentley interior, or even a Jag interior.....it is the closest recreation to the original Cobra concept that is saleable today. (we demand a/c, power windows, locks, etc.) I thought about writing a letter to them to explain but realized between sips of an $8.00 coffee and debating how many throw pillows belong on an 8 foot couch that I was wasting my time and energy.

Regards,
Aaron

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperman303, I don't think we speak softly no matter how hard we try - driving a Viper just isn't a quiet statement!

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cobra was blasted by many reviews in the day. It didn't sell well or resell well then because of all the creature comforts it lacked.