Unfortunate situations require regrouping - time to sell

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I am reluctantly putting my ride up for sale. I purchased this car new the week of Thanksgiving.
Being that it's my first viper I really wanted to hang onto it for a while but sometimes it's not in the cards.
The guys that get these cars are a different group :) and I mean that in a good way. Until you own one it's hard to
understand our passion for these cars. I have owned many hi po cars and don't get attached to them but these are just different. I hope to be back in the ownership category in the future.

-David

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I don't see it in the classifieds. What color, trim, and price? Keep in mind GTS's are selling for $94k - $99k new, if you want to move it quick.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd do ebay and cars.com

have you tried carmax as well? I'd call tomball or woodhouse - unsure what they'd be able to give you for it but you never know...

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to come about 10,000.00 off that price to sell it.One can buy brand new 13 for what you are asking. Friend just bought a brand new 14 with lots of option for a little over your price....Very little demand for Vipers...

But,don,t feel bad,we all get our asxxx kicked when we buy these toys.I do all the time,but still do it....

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd do ebay and cars.com
have you tried carmax as well? I'd call tomball or woodhouse - unsure what they'd be able to give you for it but you never know...

I have talked to a local dealer and they are willing to do a little north of 82 but was hoping to get a little more.

habeb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have talked to a local dealer and they are willing to do a little north of 82 but was hoping to get a little more.

With the current inventory levels and 2013 GTS priced aggressively. Take the dealer's price before they change their mind.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the current inventory levels and 2013 GTS priced aggressively. Take the dealer's price before they change their mind.

jump on that ASAP and move on. very fair offer.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i see gen V's selling in the 50k range come winter. sad but i do think it will happen, very little demand and when used will drop like a rock. go get that 82k and celebrate, you will be very happy come jan 2015.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to agree but I'd take that dealer offer too. Cash deal and no worries or effort.

As others say, for non-viper community, GTSs are too close to that price and have the bells and whistles, and seeing '14 GTSs, let alone SRTs in the $90s, makes what would be a great deal .. not seem so great.

For the viper community we all know those first run cars were a bit temperamental, window issues, clunks, firmware updates, etc., and again for the $ difference most would prefer a 2nd or 3rd production run car. I know that's my perspective, or I'd jump on it.

Sorry for your situation, your car is a deal at your price for what it is, just the market is what it is.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta agree, a bird in the hand and all that - not a fun prospect.

Perhaps salvage gen v's will be available in the $50k range. but, with the PCM coming out, HPTuners tuning them, it would mean all other vipers drop to basically free prices.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps salvage gen v's will be available in the $50k range. but, with the PCM coming out, HPTuners tuning them, it would mean all other vipers drop to basically free prices.

Yea, that' one post I think is off base. Previous gens have settled into a range and not a lot of movement in long time. Early gen5's, meaning prior to this "refresh" will too, not in the 50's, but that may have been tongue & cheek in that post. Personally I think $75-95K depending on all the variables. Unfortunately IMO those early cars ... will take the biggest hit, shame since those are the guys who have most supported SRT by buying in early.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some serious pessimism in here price-wise. They're not crashing that hard YET.

But, the dealers offer does seem solid, especially if you need to have it gone asap.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get your money,you will make it up in the future and you will get a much new Gen.5 for fire sale price. The new Viper prices will be very low for a long time.It will work out...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i see gen V's selling in the 50k range come winter. sad but i do think it will happen, very little demand and when used will drop like a rock. go get that 82k and celebrate, you will be very happy come jan 2015.

Not a chance in hell.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where are all these NEW 13 or 14s in the high 80s or 90? I would think that would be hitting Gen 4 pricing HARD!

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a chance in hell.

I'll repost this post during the winter, say jan 1,2015 . its not uncommon for a new car to drop 40 percent in a year. think about it, dealers had to discount some at 40k off sticker just to move them and that was the price before driving it off the lot. you will see 60k plus for used gen V's, low miles perfect condition before winter. I will post it when I see one. the car is worth much more however supply and demand will dictate the price. the TA will be the only one holding any kind of value but will be at a sweet price as well. not bashing the gen V, I think its a great car. the marketing and early reviews just destroyed the value. the good news is a few will get a great car at a price lower then a new base vette.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't see it, frankly I don't think people, other than medical emergencies or dire situations, would sell below a point. I believe the level will base at about $75k. Gen4's have held in the $60's for yrs now, basically unless you have a desperate thing going on, you'd hang on to it til you got that so it has leveled that price point. Gen4 ACRs are $75-low/mid 80's and I haven't seen that move. To me the big competition right now is between a nice gen4 ACR or a '13 gen5. There are several 2013 SRTs listed everywhere in the $80's, I found 3 for $85K asking with 2,000 or less mis on them, the red track pk cars so they have leather even & stop techs, orig at what $108k I believe. GTSs are $10-15k more in '13 and '14, which to me, I'd do a TA at that price point if I could find one. So, if you want a vert, gen5 not an option. If you want a coupe, then for about $82k let's just say, you could choose a very nice 2010 ACR or a first run track pk car gen5. In normal common sense paying the same for an "older" previous gen model of a car is dumb, but I'd have a hard time on that decision and would lean toward the ACR, but the price points are really muddled right now. I'm 90% sure I'd be in a gen5 if I didn't personally have a headroom issue, 100% if there were a vert, but I won't ask about the vert again, but speaking of it, where's the vert? lol

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow..... If the price drops to the 60's by winter, I'll be buying my 4th Viper! Time will tell
They won't.

The only '13 Gen V's at dealers that aren't selling are the configs no one really wants.

As DMan says, IMO cheapest avg you'll find used will be in mid-upper $70's. $50's just isn't going to happen unless someone has to move it really fast - will be far from the average.

If Gen V's get into the $50's on avg, are tunable, every other generation, except perhaps Gen IV ACR's, will be worthless at that point.