Unidentified Noise, any ideas??

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished a 3:55 rear end install, transmission service, cooling system service and install of magnecor wires. My car since pulling out of the dealership is making a weird rattling noise, kinda like the sound a metal washer would make jingling aroung loose on a bolt, tin sounding sorta. sounds like its coming from everywhere, cannot pinpoint it. It only occurs if car is in gear and being driven, and can be somewhat controlled (made to stop) in first thru second gear with accelerator pedal play, (almost like resonance). then it starts back up around and will remain at higher sppeds no matter what. It will not occur if car is not moving and engine is revved and revving while driving (putting clutch in to do so)does not increase it. any ideas? bad rear end install? inadequate fluid replacement upon tranny or cooling syst serv? heatshield from wire install? im at a loss and so is dealer?

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't you have the rear end warranty welding done during the visit as well? If so, don't they add riveted in braces that might not be tight against the frame? Just a thought.

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, i had both ends repaired under the recall, no cutting and only three small cracks but the dealer went wild with the reinforcements (hey it only makes my snake stronger at DC expense) so ill look into those rivets, thnx for input

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could your exhaust pipe now be touching the frame? It is a tight fit to begin with. As the exhaust humps over the rear frame (right next to the differential), it may be touching and resonating the sound.