Unimpressive GTS Auction

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a surprise.. Still haven't sold mine yet - people are trying to literally steal it from me to take advantage of the economy..I'm not that desperate yet and have held out :usa:

If I hold out long enough (3 years), all our other loans will be paid off and I can keep her !!:rolaugh: Don't tell the wife..

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol@lee. everyone knows that only the black/silver cars from MD would be worth that kinda coin....the others, not so much :)

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw an 01 Yellow GTS (nice looking) 11k miles on Barrett-Jackson Las Vagas auction this afternoon on TV, go for $36K.

I saw that. Maybe it was the color. 11k is low miles.Hey but who knows the history of the car? Mine will remain in my garage until I get what it is worth not what someone wants to give me to steal it. These cars are not everywhere and they are one of the best Vipers made.I still come in contact with people who have never even seen a GTS. They are star struck!!! Everyday another viper is modified to the point of no resale value or ragged to death time is on the side of the nicer cars for sure. 36k is low for a 11k car with no bad history period.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Blk and Silver owned by Danny Gans went for 75K.

Not sure what guys are thinking , since Viper owners commenting how little their cars are worth sure isn't helpful to those wanting to trade, nor does it make common sense for one who owns one, IMHO.

The problem that has always been around, is a high quality Viper will go for alot more than one of questionable merit. Surprisingly the quality has gone down , so one will see cars sometimes going for less, but prime examples will always cost more.

Plum, in regards to your comment that they are going down, the last six months has not shown that to be true, as Gen IIIs and IVs have stabilized or gone up, and Gen IIs have also leveled off . I would have to believe the majority of Viper owners are expecting a bounce up in prices over the next few years with no new Vipers coming out, and I for one am getting alot more calls asking about used Vipers than in the past year. New sales are spectacular, and we should all be beating the drum telling folks what great machines they are --- especially since we are all owners.

Lee, Chris Marshall, and myself were pleased to see the Blk/Silver go so high, but then we might be biased since we all have or had one like it !:2tu:

Having been to Barrett-Jackson quite a few times over the last 5 years, I can attest to the differing conditions of Vipers that have been presented there. Frankly, many of our more anal members have nicer cars than have gone through the Auction. The nicest example I have seen over the past few years was available for sale at Russo and Steele a couple of years ago. Not knocking Barrett, but up close and personal , one can tell there are differences in the vehicles offered.

See a bunch of you in Salt Lake City.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Careful there Plumster, ya never know when an offended 00 Black/Silver individual might be lurking, I think the price was well deserved.:2tu::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yes, Blk/silver, Sapphire/silver and maybe Graphite/silver seem to demand top dollar IMHO especially when they are in the condition of my and Lee's GTS's. ;) :lmao:

I have to say it would take close to that for me to consider selling mine. :nono: I sure am glad I do not have to sell in this economy.

Not sure what guys are thinking , since Viper owners commenting how little their cars are worth sure isn't helpful to those wanting to trade, nor does it make common sense for one who owns one, IMHO.

The problem that has always been around, is a high quality Viper will go for alot more than one of questionable merit. Surprisingly the quality has gone down , so one will see cars sometimes going for less, but prime examples will always cost more.

Plum, in regards to your comment that they are going down, the last six months has not shown that to be true, as Gen IIIs and IVs have stabilized or gone up, and Gen IIs have also leveled off . I would have to believe the majority of Viper owners are expecting a bounce up in prices over the next few years with no new Vipers coming out, and I for one am getting alot more calls asking about used Vipers than in the past year. New sales are spectacular, and we should all be beating the drum telling folks what great machines they are --- especially since we are all owners.

Lee, Chris Marshall, and myself were pleased to see the Blk/Silver go so high, but then we might be biased since we all have or had one like it !:2tu:

Having been to Barrett-Jackson quite a few times over the last 5 years, I can attest to the differing conditions of Vipers that have been presented there. Frankly, many of our more anal members have nicer cars than have gone through the Auction. The nicest example I have seen over the past few years was available for sale at Russo and Steele a couple of years ago. Not knocking Barrett, but up close and personal , one can tell there are differences in the vehicles offered.

Well Stated Bill.

Everybody thinks their Viper is pristine but very few really are. I have seen some beat up Vipers with well under 10k on the odometer. :dunno:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem that has always been around, is a high quality Viper will go for alot more than one of questionable merit.

couldn't agree more. Especially having paid premium for mine because of who did the work and history. Then again you have a hand full of high quality ones sold for cheap because of hard times.
I just hope they rebound and go up up up but I ain't sellin if I don't have to

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could not have said it any better Bill. Many do not understand the diference between a "collector grade" GTS, a driver GTS, and a track rat. They just want the "look". The true collector grade cars, all or mostly stock, with single digit mileage, original paint, will absolutely ALWAYS hold strong. Its supply and demand.. And even if you have $50-60k in your pocket. there are very few quality Gen2 examples, left.. MOST (not some) have had a rough life. Or at the very least, had the facias,side sills resprayed,etc,etc..

It's Just like, You can buy a 1967 Corvette for $35,000, or $185,000... It all depends on what your looking for. :)

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could not have said it any better Bill. Many do not understand the diference between a "collector grade" GTS, a driver GTS, and a track rat. They just want the "look". The true collector grade cars, all or mostly stock, with single digit mileage, original paint, will absolutely ALWAYS hold strong. Its supply and demand.. And even if you have $50-60k in your pocket. there are very few quality Gen2 examples, left.. MOST (not some) have had a rough life. Or at the very least, had the facias,side sills resprayed,etc,etc..

It's Just like, You can buy a 1967 Corvette for $35,000, or $185,000... It all depends on what your looking for. :)

Exactly.

Single digit mileage, :confused: so you are telling me my 2000 mile GTS is now high mileage. ;) :lmao:

I do make it a point to get mine out every month at the very least to keep everything moving and to enjoy the car but with the Callaway, work and the kids etc etc it is hard. :dunno:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks..I knew I wasnt the only one who saw this..18 months ago I was Viper shopping and you saw 2003's all day for 36-38K and 2008's all day for 58-62K...

Now the 2003's are 39-42K all day and the gen4's are 63-66K all day..

I have seen a definite increase in gen3 and gen4 priceing..

I couldnt belieave that their for quite a while in early 2009 you could get 2008's for high 50's and low 60's...try that now...LOL

SR 27

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pemberton, did you happen to get some of the Chrysler employee $25,000 off 0% financing deal they were offering? My friend got a new coupe for $1,400 a month for 48 months.

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any way you slice it, the cars are a great deal right now. If I could, I'd buy a Gen I and Gen III just to round out the collection :) Just think back to the 70's when muscle cars were dirt cheap and people beat the crap out of them because the perceived value was so low. Now, even some of those beat up cars are stupid expensive - even in this economy. And, people are spending crazy dollars to restore them. A few years from now, it will be amusing to look back on this thread and wonder why we didn't buy up all the cars we could while they're so cheap.