Unreal... can't even trust the manual?!

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to vent!

One of the things I decided to do to the '02 I recently got is upgrade the headlights. I decided to go to HID's for the headlights and the Fog's. I read up, checked what others had used, checked the reputation of the vendor and went ahead and ordered the kits.... I basically did my homework...

During that process, I spoke with the vendor. I have to say they are great. They answered the phone, answered my questions, even made a suggestion on a kit that, if did not need, I could return. All good. During the course of that conversation the topic of needing a 9005 Bulb kit came up. How I got to the 9005, I don't know, but they mentioned that it seemed odd. That it is more likely a 9006. I checked the manual... sure enough, on page 133 of my 2002 Viper Manual, it says "Headlight-Low Beam ........... 9006". OK... I was wrong, the tech was right. He checked the Sylvania site and it says 9006. I have since checked it... sure 'nuf.... 9006. I ordered the kit.

After a week, I got my kit... went to install it... pulled the panels off and took out the bulb. Went to put in the 9006 HID.... it does not fit. I turn it a couple of times... no dice. I then compare the seat and I notice the HID O-Ring is wider! Check the bulb I pulled..... Sylvania 9005...... really?..... reallllllly?!!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

After about 20 minutes of four letter words.... I am now stuck. This is why I sometimes detest dealing with online purchases. While the company was great, I now have to wait another week to get the parts. If I had gotten them locally, I go get the new bulbs, chalk it up to a learning experience and finish a few hours later. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So... how is it that we have 9005's in the low beams? The manual says 9006.... a couple of sites with databases say 9006...... Can I trust everything else in there when they can't get a freaking bulb spec right?!

Oh well........ I vented!

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are almost identical but it is 9005, you might be able to trim the tabs on the bulb slightly to fit.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why didn't you just pull the bulb to check it before ordering? I changed mine out to hid got a cheap set from eBay for about $40 and they worked great, did my fog lights too. Huge difference.

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What Color temp do you guys recommend?

8000 or 10000 looks good.... ideas?

I got 6000k for mine. Personally I would not go any higher than 6000. I also like the 4300k as they are more of a true factory hid bulb.

Sainthitch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

if you go to 8000 or 10000 you will get a very, very blue color and wont help much in seeing what is in front of you.

Hopefully the above chart helps.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 6000k for mine. Personally I would not go any higher than 6000. I also like the 4300k as they are more of a true factory hid bulb.

if you go to 8000 or 10000 you will get a very, very blue color and wont help much in seeing what is in front of you.

Wow, that chart really tells the story! Looks like Derek was right on... the 6k looks best and performs best. I hate that blue tinge on a car.
Mike

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4300k performs best, that is the color that all HID cars come with from the factory, that is what I personally recommend

Color Temperature: 3000K (fog light use)
3000K has an approximately 3200lm output, which is more than 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light. 3000K emits GOLDEN YELLOW color and offers superior *********** power during adverse weather epically in dense fog. The applications of the 3000K kit aim more towards secondary lighting apparatus such as high beam and fog lights. This is the color temperature that will catch all the attention on the road.

Color Temperature: 4300K
4300K has an approximately 3200lm output, which is more than 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and is the color temperature with the most output. The light appears fairly white, and has light yellowish hue when reflected off the road identical to the OEM HID equipped vehicles. This color is for the customer who is looking for pure performance white improving the looks of their headlight. It is ideal for customers who does a lot of back road or canyon driving and need the optimal visibility. This is the color temperature that will put the absolute most light on the road

Color Temperature: 6000K
6000K has an approximately 2800lm output, which is 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 4300K. Although it has a bit lesser light output, it emits pure whiter light with very slight and barely noticeable tint of blue and purple.

Color Temperature: 8000K
8000K has an approximately 2550lm output, which is about 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 6000K. While it has a bit lesser light output, it emits bluer light than the 6000K.

Color Temperature: 10000K
10000K has an approximately 2200lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. 10000K produces a deep blue light output approaching violet and the blue is noticeably deeper than the 8000K.

Color Temperature: 12000K
12000K has an approximately 2100lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. This color temperature puts out a deep bluish violet light and is deeper colored than the 10000K. It is for customer who is looking for the most extreme and most exotic looking light output.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the problem resolved with a set of 9005 bulbs I picked up locally to solve the problem. The vendor is swapping out the 9006's originally bought by mistake. Cool, but it is going to take a week or so to get them so I'll use thes as spares.

As to the color temp.... Go with 6000K which is the "whitest" of the lights. 35W is plenty on the ballast and you will love it. I did the Fog lights as well. Have to deal with spacing it back with o-rings or some other washers, but it is worth it. Good bright light....

Anything above that temp and you are leaning towards blue light. As you go blue the visibility you get in front of the car diminishes. It's more to do with the color of the light. This is why photographers flash guns typically fire at around 5500K... The "throw" of the light is best and it renders the objects being lit in the same colors (ie. it won't make white look baby blue) as the sunlight would render it on a clear day.

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The fact that my car >is< blue... the blue tinge is actually not undesirable for me. :) But I don't want to go purple... so I'm stuck between 6000 and 8000.... I might just stick with 6000 though.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice Chart. 4000K is considered a Neutral white and is in the same CCT range as Moonlight
6000K is what you would see from the noon day Sun. 6500K is the equivalent of an overcast day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456