update report on Paxton install 5 hrs in

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only managed to find approximately 5 hrs to work on my own car on the weekend here is where it stands so far. Biggest problem I ran into was finding a tap for a 3/8 npt on a Saturday afternoon. I went to Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, and the Home Depot no luck. Next day Sunday went to our parts store we own lo and behold we had one in stock. So I wasted an Hr looking for it so I guess I am really 4 hrs in. Second install would be about 1 hr less

You must be registered for see images

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lookin good, Mike! I have one, possibly two coming in next week for the tuner kit and will definitely forward all the info and PICS as well.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is such a shame is that the kit looks GORGEOUS but then they use those crappy intake tubes to go from the Y pipe to the throttle body (s).

If those were polished it would look even more phat than it already is.

Can I say phat? Or am I too old for that?

JD

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Got another update on the SC install? I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting to hear the final results :)

OP
OP
Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is finished the install went very smooth I am going to run it a few days to make sure nothing goes wrong then I will be taking in to the dyno hopefully friday if I can get an appointment and if the weather agrees. I am really impressed with the installation though. The car runs like stock. Starts perfect, no warm up period required completely passed an emission test. The side sills are still cool as before the installation (random techs).

I must admit the kit was better than I had oridinally hoped for.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's that bar running across from one side of your frame to the other under the ends of Y for your s/c?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like it has rod ends on it to allow easy mounting, but would't it also allow frame twist or movement? Maybe there's more to it then what's visible in an overhead shot. The Paxton kit looks great Mike!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So would you consider this a weekend project or 2? Is this a total do it yourself deal?

Isn't it around 6 lbs of boost?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: update report on Paxton install 5 hrs in

Normally I wouldn't have had the crossmember come to mind. But a few weeks ago I was talking with a retired Viper race mechanic and he mentioned that changes in the front end alignment were noticed/measured by race teams as the OE aluminum crossmember expanded due to heat in the engine compartment. So it seems it's more than just a piece of square tubing stuck up there. At least on the race level where alignment might be hyper-critical. But I'm sure on the street we don't want any changes or flex up front either.

OP
OP
Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You would defininetly want a hoist to make it easier althought if you are stubborn enough I am sure you could do it on jack stands. You do require a good set of tools. The first time is a 2 weekend job. I could do it in approx 10 to 12 hrs the second time. Please wait till I have tested it a little more and I will offer a killer price on the kits for you. If you get it to me I will even do installs.

OP
OP
Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As far as the cross member goes the design would offer less flex and expantion than the stock cross member I think it would be better than the stock set up.

SilverViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

@Mike: I am interested in this kit. Bishop sales has quoted the kit for $9,581 (Canadian dollars) + GST (shipping included). How much did you pay?

Thanks.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How is the install. I know its a little more complicated then the Roe. I just did the Roe and it was pretty easy. I read the instructions for the Paxton and it seems a lot more involved. I cant wait to see the numbers.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SHOW ME THE NUMBERS !!

#'S DONT LIE !! (dyno #'s that is)

Thanks Mike, Viper Community sure does appeciate you "eating your own dog food", before letting it out on your customers. (Yes, I know you dont make the product, but your customers will associate you with the product as the sales person).

Let us know how it goes... very exciting !!

-Jon

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice for sure :) I would be interested in the hp numbers it puts out when the engine is at operating temp.
Boost baby!

-Lou

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What kind of SC is the Paxton vs the Roe? (centrifical vs roots?)

What are the benefits / tradeoffs of each

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This has been covered before.

The Roe is a Twin Screw. Different than the Eaton Roots type.

The centrifugal (Paxton) is belt driven and forces air into the intake, a twin screw design (roe) actually
act as your upper intake. They both have advantages. Twin screw looks cooler but usually generated more heat and deals with more friction. They are both great designs and no one can really say which is better.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

twin screw

centrifugal

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

"Twin screw looks cooler but usually generated more heat and deals with more friction"

Actually, the twin screw is more efficient at lower RPMs and operates at cooler temperatures across the board. Neither style, centrifugal or twin screw, have rotors or impellers that contact anything but air. The rotor clearance on the Autorotor compressor is 0.002". One style makes power low and throughout the power band (positive displacement Superchargers make more Torque gains than HP) while the other style makes power up high (centrifugal Superchargers make more HP gains than torque). I'm interested in seeing actual dyno graphs of the 6-7 psi Paxton kit also.
What else is done to your motor Mike?

Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have stock compression with polished headed, big valves, a mild crower cam upgrade, stock pistons and rings, Headers, random tech cats, and B&B cat back. T&D roller rockers. And a Walboro fuel pump from JPH which was installed when my stock on did the usual morning no start thing.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks Awesome Mike! I gotta check this thing out some time. This cool fall air has got to be worth some extra ponies! How loud is the blower at idle and when you're on it? Can you hear the whine?

Craig

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960