Updated Gen 2 CPE Front Mount Twin Turbo System Design Pics

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the latest iteration of my front mount DIY TT with the 76 GTS turbos:

I decided to upgrade all the systems to the side mounted intercoolers like I originally put on my car almost 2.5 years ago.

Without the front mount intercooler blocking the air going to the radiator, the car runs cool as stock.

203.JPG

You can see the front portion of the front wheel well is the back side of the side mounted intercooler core.

These cores measure about 13.5" wide per side and are 11 inches tall and 4.5" thick.

If you put these together, you would have a 27" wide core that is 11 inches tall.(This is HUGE) Definitely larger than what can be fitted in front of the Gen2 Viper!

Placing the intercoolers here instead of in front of the radiator is a huge benefit when you consider that the front mount intercoolers reduce the velocity of the air going through the radiator by about 90% and reduce the volume of the air going through the radiator by about 75%.

So, in a nutshell this setup allows for a forced induction Viper to have monster aircharge intercooling and air intake capacity while allowing the cooling system to function like stock in terms of how much air can go through the front end of the car and ultimately through the radiator.

==> Monster power/stock driveability!

61.JPG

As you can see, this setup allows the use of some monster air filters that will never restrict the turbos' ability to pull in air!

161.JPG

The air filters look like a pair of fangs!

15.JPG

Here is a clean picture of the vacuum routing of the wastegates and boost controller:

173.JPG

This shows the blow off valves being placed before the intercooler venting the hot compressed air BEFORE it heat soaks the intercooler.

When the throttle plates close, there is also less stress on the turbo with the BOV being so close to the compressor outlet because the air is being released to atmosphere within 5" of the compressor outlet!

Also notice how short and straight the path is to the intercooler from the compressor outlet!

181.JPG

This shows the 4" electric exhaust cutouts that reduce back down to the regular 3" exhaust after the cutout.

This allows you to run super quiet even with catalytic converters at low load just cruising and then you can flip the switch and dump the exhaust within about 3 feet of the turbo outlet.

Dumping the exhaust this quickly instead of having to exit at the rear of the car allows the turbo to spool more quickly and also makes you really hear the jet engine whoosh the moment you breathe on the gas pedal!

131.JPG

121.JPG

9.JPG

Here is a dyno sheet for the previous iteration of my 76 GTS system:

1385_RWHP.jpg

Speaking of more humble beginnings, here is a dyno sheet for my entry level system on a bone stock 1997 GTS with T&D roller rockers and voltage booster for the fuel pump with 55#/hr injectors, fuel rails AEM and my fully upgradeable, front mount TT system:

Please notice it is making 600 RWTQ at a touch over 3,000 RPM. It is making over 700 RWTQ at 3600 RPM and it is still making over 700 RWTQ at 6200 RPM.

This car is so easy and fun to drive on the street.

The power comes on smooth and pulls all the way to the top as you can see!

800_RWHP_D_Amico.jpg

This is the only Gen 2 DIY TT that is fully upgradeable to 1400+ RWHP whose entry level system starts out with a pair of 700 HP(Each) turbos.

I designed this system so the average owner could start out with 600-650 RWHP and just upgrade the power when they are able!

Just like with anything, you get used to a certain power level and then want a bigger kick in the seat of the pants.

There is no other DIY system out there that uses T-04 turbos that has the upgradeability of this system nor the overall design layout to make big power yet allow the high power cars in hot climates to run cool as stock.

I am starting a run of 10 systems very shortly. Anybody interested should give me a call @ 630-878-3907. There are still a few available for spring delivery!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Updated Gen 2 CPE TT System design pics

That car looks familiar.... ;)

The work is really quite stellar. You will never find a harder working guy.

Suffice to say, i will have some dyno #'s and track #'s on the new set-up very soon.

:)

JD

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats Paolo!

The work looks terrific!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

looks smokin !! Joe, lemme know if you need me to test it out for ya, before you come all the way to IL to pick it up :)

Funny how "unassuming" Paolo's garage is, with monsters like this hidden in it.

So a couple of questions about the set up. I have heard for years that the fog lamp section of the facia is actually a low pressure area, so it really wont get much airflow. But even if that is wrong, and somehow you get that to be a high pressure area, how does having those small 4-5 inch openings/holes help to take advantage of a sufrace area thats about 10 times as big?? Just curious, and im sure you have it all figured out, just want to expand my knowledge.

oh... and..
Paolo, I promise I WILL get you those fronts back. I never used them or the rears (already gave back). Its just a real PIA to get the wheels to ya, when my only car is a gen 3 viper.

I'll figure something out soon, im sure they arent being missed to much given this crappy chicago weather we have been having.

Thanks for the wheel/tire loan.

Jon

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do you mean pick it up?? it's in my garage!

Just working on a few minor details before race season... :)

JD

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do you mean pick it up?? it's in my garage!

Just working on a few minor details before race season... :)

JD

Oh smack ! I thought you were having him build it, in his garage at his house !! Oh well forget it then, thats what i get for trying to be nice ;-)

Jon

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

looks smokin !! Joe, lemme know if you need me to test it out for ya, before you come all the way to IL to pick it up :)

Funny how "unassuming" Paolo's garage is, with monsters like this hidden in it.

So a couple of questions about the set up. I have heard for years that the fog lamp section of the facia is actually a low pressure area, so it really wont get much airflow. But even if that is wrong, and somehow you get that to be a high pressure area, how does having those small 4-5 inch openings/holes help to take advantage of a sufrace area thats about 10 times as big?? Just curious, and im sure you have it all figured out, just want to expand my knowledge.

oh... and..
Paolo, I promise I WILL get you those fronts back. I never used them or the rears (already gave back). Its just a real PIA to get the wheels to ya, when my only car is a gen 3 viper.

I'll figure something out soon, im sure they arent being missed to much given this crappy chicago weather we have been having.

Thanks for the wheel/tire loan.

Jon

Jon, you are correct about the negative pressure in front of the foglights on the Gen 2.

This is because there is no airflow through the front of the wheelwell because it is solid.

Think about how much air goes into the opening in the front fascia at 40-50 MPH....

Above 40 or 50 MPH, there is waay more air coming through the opening in the front end than what can actually be flowed through the oil cooler, air conditioner condensor, radiator core, fan and shroud.

This air would be otherwise trapped in the front openings' volume in the form of drag and pressure buildup.

By making an 11" tall by 13" wide opening behind the intercooler core allows for that pressurized air to flow through the intercooler cores without taking away from the airflow through the radiator's core.

This design actually allows for more air to flow through the side mounted intercoolers than the front mounted intercooler because there is nothing behind them!

I ran the foglight covers on my car with this exact intercooler setup and had no noticeable difference in high speed stability up to about 225 MPH(5800 RPM with the gearing I was running) where I started running out of road.

JD's 1999 does not have provisions for the foglight covers.

It does not matter anyway!

All the air that flows through the cores comes from what goes through the front opening anyway.

I am glad you mentioned you have my fronts, I could not find them! :2tu:

I will not be needing them any time soon!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is artistry in gaseous compression! Beautiful-form and function.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

OK, I be the first to ask. How much for a basic system.
:usa:

Robert

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK, I be the first to ask. How much for a basic system.
:usa:

Robert

Robert, here is what you get with the front mount, fully upgradeable, T-04 entry level system for 23K:

Your choice of 61-66mm compressor wheel E-cover w/T-04 .96 AR Hot side and p-trim exhaust wheel
AEM stand alone ECU and AEM low impedance injector driver box
GM 3 bar map sensor, GM boost controller solenoid
All oil feed and drain lines
Pair of Tial 44mm wastegates
Pair of Tial 50mm blow off valves
Ceramic coated manifolds, up pipe, downpipe and turbine housings
Polished to chrome stainless heat shields with CPE logo
(2) turbine housing heat blanket and (2)straight heat blanket
silicone fire sleeving and foil blanket to wrap harness
Saftey wire pliers & (1) .025 spool safety wire & (1) .032 spool safety wire
Twin side mounted intercoolers
All intercooler piping and silicone couplers and T-bolt clamps
CPE custom spec. double pass radiator
CPE custom twin puller fan shroud with rubber flaps
Twin SPAL 12" 1450 CFM puller fans
All air intake piping couplers and T-bolt clamps
Air filters(2) shipped
Aftermarket power steering pump that accepts stock pulley, hose & fittings
Power Steering bracket, serpentine belt, grooved idler pulley
Polished to chrome stainless steel throttle cable bracket
55#/hr low impedance injectors
Fuel feed adaptor line
Boost-a-Pump
fuel rails with o-ring AN fittings and stainless steel stanchions and bolts
Vacuum lines
Stainless Steel crossmember

Depending on items you might already have, shoot me a PM and I can make the appropriate adjustments!

Take off 3K if you already have AEM, $300.00 if you already have a boost a pump, $300.00 if you already have fuel rails and so-on......

This system has been updated about 8 times since the last time we spoke quite a while back! :2tu:

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is artistry in gaseous compression! Beautiful-form and function.

Camfab, thank you!

I am pretty sure we have spoken before.

I think I even remember the day we spoke that I had to walk around outside my car to keep the signal!

I lost your phone # when I lost or broke that phone.

You had quite a bit of knowlege on the subject of turbocharging!

How've you been?

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nice! That is a great price for the HP gain. I hate to admit it but I relly don't think I could handle that much power. WOW!

Bolt

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about intercoolers behind the front tires? Somehow all the sportbikes run radiators behind the front tire without concern for debris from the tire damaging the radiators..

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dude, I still cant get over how badass it is that you made the filters look like fangs!

Now get that blue/purple/green car thats taking up space on the lift done and get the other TT vipers in there that you have waiting!!!!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice! That is a great price for the HP gain. I hate to admit it but I relly don't think I could handle that much power. WOW!

Bolt

Bolt, it's funny you say that.

I have had two customers so far who had been adamant they only wanted 600 RWHP because they thought it might be too much of a handfull who, ultimately, got in the car and felt they would like about 100-200 more RWHP.

With turbos and the AEM with boost controller, it is super easy to run just wastegate spring pressure and zero percent boost controller duty cycle.

For example, I have a customer with a creampuff making 615 RWHP and 650 RWTQ on 4.5 PSI.

Here's how the boost controller solenoid works: in simple terms,

1. It has an in and an out
2. You take the 1/8 pipe thread fittings that you can see on the 5th picture from the top(where I am discussing the vacuum line routing) and tee them together.
3. The compressor covers teed together single vacuum hose goes into the boost controller solenoid.
4. If the solenoid is closed it is only the spring pressure keeping the wastegates shut.

Now, depending on what percentage of time the solenoid is open will determine how much extra help the springs will have to keep the wastegates shut.

The more help the springs have, the more boost you make.

In the turbo industry, one can typically expect to be able to double the spring pressure with the boost controller.

For example, a 5# spring and 100% boost controller duty cycle will net about 10 PSI.

So in this example the car could run 5-10 PSI without having to change anything mechanical whatsoever like a blower pulley.

It is not a linear relationship between X amount of boost and Y percent duty cycle.

Characteristically, you would be on the dyno and set the solenoid duty cycle to 10 % and datalog all the necessary air/fuel, timing, and boost pressure parameters. Once you see how much more boost 10 % gives, then you can go up another 5 or 10 percent until you get closer to your target boost level!

Ideally, you would like to be able to run the widest range of boost with one set of springs.

This will allow the control to run the least power to the most power ie being able to ramp in the power at the rate that most suits you, your car and the conditions at hand.

I call this the resolution to which boost can be controlled.

If you could control from 5 to 15 PSI, you would have much more resolution than if you could only run 5 to 9 PSI.

I can tell you that my prototype car can make 11 PSI on a 5 PSI spring with only about 42% boost controller soleniod duty cycle.

Like I said, it is not a linear relationship with the duty cycle and the boost pressure, but I do not see a problem being able to run another 4 PSI with those springs with a higher duty cycle. Another 4 PSI would be roughly 920 RWHP.

So this setup can make 600 to 900 RWHP on the same wastegate springs with the AEM modulating the boost controller solenoid duty cycle!

It all comes down to the rate and amount you choose to ramp in the boost.

Driving down the road with a passenger datalogging with the laptop and adjusting duty cycles is easy and fun!

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about intercoolers behind the front tires? Somehow all the sportbikes run radiators behind the front tire without concern for debris from the tire damaging the radiators..

FE065, If you look at the pictures carefully, you can see there is a stainless steel mesh screen protecting the intercooler cores from road debris.

Here are a couple of better pictures of anther install to illustrate.

110.JPG

turbo017.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456