Upgrading Pedals on GTS for Performance Driving

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my first season of ownership under my belt I have signed up for performance driving lessons in April 2008. Being winter here and having to fill in time, I bought the Skip Barber books and video and "Speed Secrets" to prepare all the theory.

This is my first expereince driving on a track.

I am looking forward learning heel/toe technique to "blip" the throttle while still having part of my right foot on the brake. As many of you know, this technique is great for the track but also makes you very smooth driver on the street.

I have been searching the forum and think I will need to upgrade my pedals to make this easier. Based on my search, many recommended this company products as an option because the gas pedal offsets to the left:

AutoVation Technologies, Inc.

However, the threads I found were 2 years old.

Just wanted to know if there was anything new, any other suggestions for pedals, thoughts from people who track their cars.

Being Winter and going through serious withdrawal, this seems like a nice little upgrade to do during down time that would also enhance the look of the car.

Thoughts?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure but let me know what you find. I still have my stock pedals and small feet. Thus, I have to do a kinda reverse heel/toe. I brake with my toes and blip the throttle with my heel. Then roll my toes over. I found this works a lot better than the other way for me anyway. Good luck and you should definitely practice heel/toe at low speeds before trying it at speed. Your instructor will likely tell you the same.

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sent you a PM in regards to your question.

Also sent the website and the response that I got from them when I was looking for pedals.

For the record it was a site called:

ULTIMATE PEDALS

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the autovation pedals in my first Viper. They were nice, but required narrow shoes so as to to hit the gas by mistake when wanting to apply the brake. Stick with the stock pedals, they work fine, just takes some getting used to

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A second vote for stock pedals. When I go to the track I use an old, soft pair of Reeboks that have good feel and (try to) roll my foot of the brake such that I hit the throttle with the right side/ankle of my right foot. Feels safe as I have my foot solidly on the brake.
Now I just need to work on the timing...

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had after market pedals on my GTS and changed them back to stock. I found wide tennis shoes worked best for heel-n-toeing. Driving shoes were to thin to get a piece on the brake AND gas.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the first time at the track, I would not worry about trying Heel/Toe. You will have so much other stuff to learn, that you need to concentrate on the basics of going around the track. Just my thoughts.

Rev

puma

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the first time at the track, I would not worry about trying Heel/Toe. You will have so much other stuff to learn, that you need to concentrate on the basics of going around the track. Just my thoughts.

Rev

John, i agree with him, practice in the street first at low speed, get used to it before you try it at the track and lose concentration on your apex while you are thinking about heel n toe.

Take it easy, one step at a time

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I would not worry about heel/toe especially if it's not second nature to you yet. On most tracks you can just keep the Viper in third gear and you will have no issues. You will most likely have more power than anybody there.

But if you want to heel/toe the stock pedals only work if you bend the accelerator to get it closer to the brake. But that is still not as good as the Autovation pedals. Once you try the WIDE accelerator pedal I don't think you will go back to stock.

But yes, with Autovation pedals thin shoes such as real driving shoes work best.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sent you a PM in regards to your question.

Also sent the website and the response that I got from them when I was looking for pedals.

For the record it was a site called:

ULTIMATE PEDALS
Highly recommend! A+++++:2tu:
DSC04726.JPG

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Practice your heal and toeing during every day driving and, like mentioned above, you'll need a few track events under your belt before you'll ever need to. Focus on your apexes and approach speed & exit throttle control 1st. IMO

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Boxer... I'm assuming that's a flame out pull on the dash. If so, where's the bottle and where did you run the lines to?
It is so. I ran the lines along the tranny channel sidewall to the trunk, and mounted the bottle on the spare tire. I can remove it easily, and it is easy for someone to access in the event of a mishap and I am unable to do so. The cool suit cooler sets up right next to it. Works out great. Feel free to PM me if you want pics or other advice on the install. It was a little tricky on the dash and you don't want to mess it up. PS-If you look closely, you will see the little red spray nozzle pointed at the family jewels (you can see it beside the lower left of the center spoke of the wheel)! I also have two nozzles in the engine bay, one on each side of the engine directed toward the valve covers. Fortunately, haven't had to use it! I hear its quite a mess to clean up! That is why I put a safety pin on the pullout, so some kid in the passenger seat doesn't grab it and pull while saying "What's this?"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950