used 03 viper or C6 Convertible

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, and have been a member from the Vette forum for sometime now. I use to own a C4 vette, and just sold my nsx. I placed an order for a C6 convertible with full options except for the polished rims, which comes out to about 59k. However, I was with a friend this week-end who has a 01 GTS. I drove it and OH MY GOD. My only other experience feeling this much torque is when I am in a plane about to take off! So now, I am confused as hell! For all of you who have owned a vette before, and now own a viper, what would you buy if you could only buy one, and it would be a daily driver. I live in Northern CA, so the weather is fair for most of the year. For the price of a new fully loaded C6 convertible, I can almost get a used vette +/-$10k. However, I am not in a hurry, and can wait a couple months to save up for the difference. Thanks for any inputs. Personally, right now, I am pretty sure my mind is made up. You can guess what it is.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that many of us have owned a Vette. I have owned an early C5. Great car. Having no experience with the C6, I don't think I can be truly objective.

However...

If you are purely in this for the performance, the Viper is the way to go.

If you like the comforts of a more comfortable ride and a working air conditioning and a nice convertible top, the SRT is the way to go.

If you want to the jaw dropping 'wows' that come with an exotic car, there is no choice.

I don't thin you can get one for $59k, but maybe $65k or so.

Go big. Get the snake!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned over 30 Vettes, still own a big block C3. Just get the Viper, I promise you, you will never look back! For a daily driver in Northern California a used 03 SRT would be perfect. You should be able to pick one up for 65-70 and that is a bargain. Look nationally and come back here and ask for someone to check the car out before you get on an airplane to finalize the deal. A ton of experienced guys around the country will jump right up and volunteer to help you determine a good buy from bad. The Viper community is actually very small and is very supportive of individuals like you who wish to join up. There are also a very select circle of dealer guys who are known trusted sources for both new and used cars nationally. A lot of us bought our cars sight unseen and never drove one from these guys because of their reputation in the VCA and on this board. Do a search for Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge or Chuck Tator at Tator Dodge for comments as starters. There will be links to their contact information in the vendor section.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a C4 Corvette convertible, and it was a great car. Plus the C6 convertible is indeed very tempting. I think that it looks very nice, and is an improvement across the board from the already good C5 Corvette.

But even though the C6 Corvettes are rare and hot right now, in 6 months you are likely to see several on the street each day. Think about how many C5 Corvettes that you see every day.

Not so with the Viper. I've only seen 3 of the SRT-10 Vipers so far (also living in Northern Cal) on the street, so after 2 years they are still pretty rare and unique.

It really depends on what you want in a car, as the Corvette is more comfort and convenience oriented.
But the Viper is a much faster car stock compared to the convertible C6, and getting a low mileage used Viper can actually come close to the same price. :eek:

After being there, I'd definitely save up the extra money for the Viper. :laugh:

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I attend just about every other week a gathering of muscle cars, exotics, bikes etc at a beach site on Long Island NY. There are usually about 200 cars with approx 50 being vettes at any time. Last week there were 6, count them 6 C6 vettes already out there, PS 2 vipers and mine was one of them. Your choice

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold an '01 ZO6 before I got the '04 SRT and I would never go back. The biggest difference is that the Viper is a very RAW experience! It makes the Vette seem like a Lexus. I would definitely encourage you to go with the SRT over the C6. As long as you can live with a car that is a little rougher around the edges.

DT04R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy!

I've seen some people debate about a (used) SRT vs. a C5/Z06 or C6 Coupe, but then you've got a Convertible vs. a Coupe/Hardtop and that's a little trickier (some people don't like Verts for whatever reason) *But* if you're shopping ragtops, then the SRT has _no_ competition in my mind. Actually there are some amazing aftermarket hardtop options for the SRT too (I'm already shopping top hoists!)

If exclusivity has _any_ value to you at all, then the Viper hands down! To some folks, it's actually not a big deal, and in fact a "perk" of owning a Vette.

At first, it might not bother you, the new car aura still produces excitement - then you start noticing how many other Vettes you see, no problems, you got a "rare" color - then you're at OfficeMax and when you come out, the _same_ car is parked next to yours...you order a Pizza, the Dominos guy drives up in a C6...soon the factory turns up the production wick, now there's 30K a year rolling out of BG, and then you see 15 on your 1 mile drive to work, then the waving, MY GOD, the terrible waving, make them stop...SO MANY VETTES ....MUST KILL...

<ahem>

So...buy the Viper or face a terrible fate :laugh:

DT

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also on the C6 Vette forum (RonnieC5 or RonnieC6, and, as I said on that forum, you must go to a Dodge dealer and drive one. Then go to another dealer and drive another SRT-10. It may or may not be for you! The bottom line for me is, after 4 ragtop Vettea and finally an 02 Z06 Vette (and I will never buy another car that is not a convertible), the SRT10 is beyond any driving experience that I have ever had. Plus, the are almost bullit proof. If you look at the C6 forum, people are having just an incredible amount of mechanical and electrical problems with the C6. Too many gimics and gadgets, too quiet, too slow, and already too common!!! Get the snake!!!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a GTS you get styling and performance all in one!!!

I agree nothing wrong with a gen 1 RT/10 or a gen 2 RT/10 / GTS any viper over any vette any time any day.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i owned a c4 vert then a o2 rt/10 now a 03 srt/10.

BUY THE SRT/10 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a C5 Vert, C5 Z06 and SRT-10. I drive the SRT-10 daily and prefer the performance and look over the Vette. Not impressed with the C6 and will stick with C5. :headbang:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Of course, much less performance. But hey, who's counting. Long live the jurassic GTS!
Hey what was I thinking? The GTS has been out of production for a whopping 2 years now!!! Man your right the GTS is a dinosaur. :rolleyes: Too bad the GTS is the T-Rex of Vipers!!! :p

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay okay, you guys twisted my arms and I am giving in. I've been "viper" biten. :D Hey Ronnie SRT10, I remembered your advise on the C6 forum and did exactly that today. The test drive was incredible. I did not go too far, but I was convinced beyond any doubt that this is the car! Let me know if anyone knows of an SRT for sale in the $65k or less. Otherwise, I will wait a couple months to save up some money and hopefully for the prices to go down a bit. :headbang: :2tu:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Of course, much less performance. But hey, who's counting. Long live the jurassic GTS!
Hey what was I thinking? The GTS has been out of production for a whopping 2 years now!!! Man your right the GTS is a dinosaur. :rolleyes: Too bad the GTS is the T-Rex of Vipers!!! :p

You come to the SRT forum with your back handed comments about the car. Your right, what were you thinking?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT all the way! No comparsion! I gave a ride to a buddy of mine who just bought a C6 and he could not believe the power of the Bone stock Viper.

A-Train

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proud owner of a 03' Black SRT- I'm in SF, my Viper is the only SRT I've seen anywhere around here. It is very, vary rare where I live. There not to mention the attention you get for driving it. Cars chase me down to photograph, kids run after it, anything with wheels on it ranging from school bus to bicycles will want to race you.

I also still own a C5 vette I'm trying to rid of. When I swith back to drive the C5- it feels like I'm driving a limo. The road feel of the SRT is no comparison. Neverthless, at times you wish you're driving a vette is long distance top up, when you wish to chat on a the phone, or commute with a cup of coffee (i do not have coffee in the Viper, it always end up all over the car or my lap), rainy days, etc. Oh- the sound system in Viper also needs upgrading if you like to commute with music.

There's no comfort in the Viper- but I love every second driving it! You cannot trade fun for comfort.

Also found some great deals in Florida if you wish to learn more. I picked up mine for $69k w/ 500 miles- great lease deal for 38 months. Dealertship in N. Cal tried to sell me $85 +$15k mark up. They are still sitting in the showrooms.

A-train

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've only seen one myself in San Jose, CA. It's funny that the nsx supposedly is more rare (150/yr production), and I see much more of those (I use to own one myself until last month) than the SRT. I am actively looking to lease one. $69k is above my range. Please let me know where I should be looking for a good deal.

A-Train

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincent:

I bought from these guys- thought it was the best lease deal I found after shopping around for awhile. Check out their Boca Raton inventory for the red 03, read their lease term- my experience was great with them. There will be transport cost of about $1500 from Florida, closed truck.

They also have an 04 in red. Good luck, and let me know when you get it, I'll like to keep in touch w/ a SRT owner in the bay area.

http://www.excellauto.com/frameset.htm

or

www.excellauto.com