Used Vipers soft on the Market?

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not trying to stur it up but I was talking to a few folk in the car business out here in Sunny San Diego and they are telling me the used Vipers are a bit soft on the market and ACRs are really soft. I looked at a 2000 yesterday and after making a few calls was told actual value was $45K and they probably wouldn't even buy it for that. The guy that has it for sell is gonna think that's a joke but I'm not going to spend my hard earned cash on something without value. I figure if they are that soft, I can wait for a deal.

What are others seeing in other parts of the country?

Thanks,
Carl

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with the economy the entire high end is soft. i saw a 99 996 porsche sell for 43K on ebay the other day. 30K miles, nice. modenas in the 145K range maranellos the same. an ACR for 45 of 50K is an awesome deal as long as it hasn't been trashed. i highly doubt there are any in this price range right now. the value is there. 3rd or 4th fastest production car in the world today. the others cost between 150-200K used 180-325 new. the car used guys really don't know all the time what they are saying. an acr is recognized as a semi desirable viper edition thus considered to hold its value better if than the norm...

jason

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking for a used GTS now for sometime. I have noticed that prices have been dropping across the board, but Vipers have recently have a pretty nice drop. I think it mostly has to do with the new model coming out. Even though a lot of people like the "old" Viper, it is not going to look as nice or be as much of a conversation piece next to a 2003. Once you see lots of new 2003's on the road, I think peoples negative opinion on the 2003 will slowly go away. Just my opinion from what I have seen in the past 6-8 months.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JF58854777:
I have been looking for a used GTS now for sometime. I have noticed that prices have been dropping across the board, but Vipers have recently have a pretty nice drop. I think it mostly has to do with the new model coming out. Even though a lot of people like the "old" Viper, it is not going to look as nice or be as much of a conversation piece next to a 2003. Once you see lots of new 2003's on the road, I think peoples negative opinion on the 2003 will slowly go away. Just my opinion from what I have seen in the past 6-8 months.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Prices will fall.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JF58854777:
Once you see lots of new 2003's on the road...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that will be when.....?

Who sees lots of Vipers of any kind on the road now - and this after ten years of production? I don't and I live in CA.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
45k is a joke and the dealer you talked to is full of $hit....he wishes that he could buy it for that, then it would be on his lot for $59,900. If its a decent car and you can buy it for low 50's or less its a good deal. I do think California is a little softer....why I don't know but 45k, give me a break.
I know a dealer that within the last week bought a 2000 with 6000 miles out right..no trade $55,000.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know the guy telling me the price pretty well and he doesn't have a reason to make up something plus I've had other in the business tell me similar numbers. The other part of the story is that the guy selling is asking over $67K.

I honestly think I'd rather buy the FE for $~73K and take the hit on depreciation....if I have to take a hit anyway.

The other choice is to just move on and keep looking at other stuff.

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only people that are not getting a fair price are those dumb enough to sell their Vipers cheap. If you want to sell your car for what it is worth the best place is not to The Viper Nation, but to an individual who can appreciate so much car for a fair price. As far as the economy goes more people are purchasing family items more than they ever have in the past. I sell luxury items for a living and have seen my business sky-rocket in the past few months. I quarantee that a Viper purchase now is a hell of a lot better investment than the stock market which has been fixed for years, only a few people realize it. I got out of the market years ago and it was the best decision I have ever made. l never get back in, Never. However, I just sold two Vipers, purhased my 3rd and have a 03 on order. I'll purchase more if you tell me where I can get some at the price that was quoted, in the 1st post.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TacDoc:
Supply and Demand. I could buy an F50 for $10,000 if an owner is willing to part it with for that much.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. In fact, there is an '01 RT/10 in the VCA Classifieds (7,500 miles, hard top) with an asking price of $59,500. It is a simple fact ... prices have fallen substantially. This is a great time to buy a Viper. Can you imagine getting a brand new (essentially) Viper for less than $60,000. Wow!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But for us sellers, the market BLOWS
frown.gif

If I get this new job.... i'm keeping my car.

MM

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:
But for us sellers, the market BLOWS
frown.gif

If I get this new job.... i'm keeping my car.

MM

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck MadMaxx. I hope it works out for you.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at a dealer auction last week in the Detroit area an saw a 01 Yellow RT/10 sell for $52700. It had 2000 miles and in great condition.I would have bid myself but I needed H2 Hummers.I'm still Kicking myself, but still a little nerves on the RT/10's.

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 MONTHS AGO I PAID $59,000 FOR A PERFECT 2001 RT-10 (SHAPIRE BLUE) WITH 6,000 MILES.. IT HAS BOTH TOPS AND HAS 2-1/2 YEARS OF DC WARRANTY LEFT!

THAT WAS FROM A DEALER!!

THEY GAVE ONLY $50,000 CREDIT AS A TRADE-IN..

THESE CARS SEEM TO BE VERY SOFT..

8 MONTHS AFTER PAYING $74,500 PLUS LICENSE/TAXES ($79,500+/-) THE CARS TAKE A $20,000 HIT AND SELL FOR IN THE $57,00-$59,000 RANGE..

ABOUT A MONTH ATER I BOUGHT MY CAR.. A VIPER OWNER CONTACTED ME AND OFFERED ME HIS 2001 SHAPIRE BLUE RT-10 FOR $54,000!

I CALLED BILL P. AND OFFERED HIM THE GUYS PHONE NUMBER AND HE SAID THAT $54,000 WAS WAY TO MUCH MONEY FOR HIM TO PAY FOR A 2001!

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soft economy PLUS decline in market

PLUS

A larger than usual number of sellers who are selling now to purchase 2003 (no sense storing over winter in the northern half of the country). Since virtually all 03 buyers already have (or had) a Viper, and let's say even a quarter of them are selling, that would add over 100 cars on top of what would normally turnover. Thats a lot for a small market to absorb in this environment.

Market could be soft for a while, but I think Vipers in good condition will hold their value extremely well over the next few years.