Using a Viper in a parade.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this may sound elementary and don't bash me too hard... but what's the best way to cruise in a parade? I will be driving my Viper in a local parade this coming weekend with my niece and nephew. I am still new to driving my Viper so i haven't gotten a good feel for the car yet.

I was testing out the car tonight and it's still a little jerky for me coming out of first, I have only put 20 miles on my car since Feb. so it's still fresh to me.

I didn't notice until later, that I was getting smoother starts when I was starting in 3rd, but I have heard starting in 3rd is not good. I don't want to ride the clutch or or have it jumping around on me. :rolaugh:

I'm not an idiot I just don't want to embarrass myself or damage my car if I can prevent it :)

Any tips is greatly appreciated from a new Viper owner and driver. :2tu: :usa:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your left leg will be spaghetti by the time it is over. Drove my car on Daytona Beach on Saturday where the speed limit is 10mph and was sick of it after about 2 miles.

Good luck,

Ron

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your left leg will be spaghetti by the time it is over.

Ditto here. I drove my '93 in the 1996 Indy 500 parade with Michele Alboreto riding the sport bar and it was a *****. Your car will idle along in first just fine, but that's faster than parade speed unless you're running 3.55s or lower gearing.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've been in over 60 parades...most all of them a few miles long with hills...and all of them stop and go with many floats and walking people. ......Have ridden a couple of girls on the sport bar several times as well in the parades.

We've never had an issue with overheating in 85 -90 degree weather. The OEM Viper clutch is not bad. It's one of the easiest clutch cars I've ever owned. Your leg could be a little sore depending on parade length....nothing like a Center Force Dual Friction clutch...that will turn your leg to mush if there are hills involved. We've done many parades with that car as well. Center Force clutchs do not like being ridden!

Don't ride the clutch! clutch in....Clutch out....Coast. ...or get in neutral if possible. No Viper I know of can consistently lug along at 1-3 MPH without some clutching.

Steve

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your left leg will be spaghetti by the time it is over. Drove my car on Daytona Beach on Saturday where the speed limit is 10mph and was sick of it after about 2 miles.

Good luck,

Ron

better make sure you clean the underside of your car really really good. To get all the salt off.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry but if you have to ask how to drive, you probably shouldn't have a viper
I guess that was meant as a joke.

Don't ride the clutch! clutch in....Clutch out....Coast. ...or get in neutral if possible
Yep, these cars will roll a long way in neutral. You may be surprised.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your good comments! I'll work on it some more and get a feel for it and see what works best. The parade will last about an hour and half by the time I get in line and finish. It's about 3-5 miles long.

I live in a small town and next to nobody knows that I have this car, let alone a customized Viper! I've been working on it since Feb.

And to plumcrazy I'd rather ask than to make a thread asking "Where is the best place to get a new clutch installed?" :)

We can't all be pro's right out of the gate.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't ride the clutch! clutch in....Clutch out....Coast. ...or get in neutral if possible. No Viper I know of can consistently lug along at 1-3 MPH without some clutching.

Steve

Just to reinforce...
Don't ride the clutch! clutch in....Clutch out....Coast. ...or get in neutral if possible.
Don't ride the clutch! clutch in....Clutch out....Coast. ...or get in neutral if possible.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your post reminded me of story that was posted a couple years back where someone had their Viper in a parade, and an Amish horse drawn cart passed too close to his car. The horse feeling the cart snag against the side of the Viper pulled harder, ripping the rear quarter side off his car.

So, watch out for any Amish carts :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth