valentine one hardwire - almost got it right

GTSR13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i've read most of the old posts on the v1. i wanted it wired so i decided to use the wire splicer that comes with the unit and tied into the cigarette lighter wire. only prob is that this is not a switched wire despite what i read on an earlier post. my own fault, i should have just checked it out first. anybody know if there is a way to make the cig lighter switched? if not, exactly which wire have you guys tapped into?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i've read most of the old posts on the v1. i wanted it wired so i decided to use the wire splicer that comes with the unit and tied into the cigarette lighter wire. only prob is that this is not a switched wire despite what i read on an earlier post. my own fault, i should have just checked it out first. anybody know if there is a way to make the cig lighter switched? if not, exactly which wire have you guys tapped into?
A number of posts have addressed this. I find the easiest wire to tap into is the switched power wire going to the stereo. On many cars (with the evident exception of at least one '94), you can pull the stereo out by carefully pulling off the surround bezel, then removing the two screws holding the stereo in, and it slides out. I beleive the wiring diagram which will tell you which lead is the "switched power" wire is on the stereo itself. If not, its not very hard to determine.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a hardwire for a V1 in my Excursion. I took a little different route.

Instead of mounting the little "barrel" thing with the outlets on it under the dash, I extended the black and red wires for it and double faced taped the barrel thing to the very top of the windshield. (In my case, it is in the black-out top where it cannot be seen.) I buried the wires in the A pillar and headliner...then down behind the fuse panel for a tap and ground.

At Radio Shack, I got a 4" phone cord that I leave plugged into the V1. All I have to do is suction cup the unit to the windshield...and plug into the barrel piece. No wires in the way or hanging down.

OP
OP
G

GTSR13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks randy - i'll try the stereo switched wire

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members