Valet ... am I overreacting.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, here is the scene. Resort golf course. They have a Valet only parking lot, no self parking. Parking lot is 10 yards away from the front door. It doesn't have to go far.

I really hate to have other people drive my car. Especially $10.00 hr/ labor.

I like to park, throw on my shoes, take my own bag out, because it is tricky to get out.

I don't want to look like, or be an a$$.

The first time, I just parked it myself and gave them the keys. I let them bring the car up when I was done, and loaded the bag myself. I still tipped.

I know if I let them park it and something goes wrong, ex: broken trim part ect. I will Snap.

The old '95 is getting fragile...

What would you do?

Am I overreacting?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tip them when you pull up and tell them you're parking it yourself. Ask where they want it. Once parked, hang on to the keys assuming your car is not blocking in another.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Don't let 'em touch your baby! hell no! :)

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< NO one drives or parks my Viper but me period.Well maybe another Viper owner.. >>

DITTO. No exceptions. i have let a few friends drive the car, but i was right there.

the first time i let a "non-viper-owner" friend drive the car without me in it, it came back smokin with an antifreeze leak. NEVER AGAIN. second time, shame on me.

if the car goes anywhere for repairs, i advise putting a sticky note somewhere with the mileage written on it for all to see.

you really have to learn how to drive these things. braking, accelerating, not scraping, parking, shifting, etc. i am still learning. a "first-timer" certainly cant do it better than me or you for that matter.

even a simple screwup is just too darn costly. and do you think you are going to recoup the cost of the "screwup" from someone making $10 an hour? heck no. it is coming out of your pocket my friend. you are better off doing what you did, instead of having a scraped bumper or whatever when you got back.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used to own a valet parking company. Valets don't mind if you park it yourself so long as you take care of them with a decent tip. I usually give the guy a $20 and have it kept right out front (parking it myself). I also always make a point of letting the valet know the exact mileage so there is no temptation to sneak it out for a quick joy ride. I had to fire a few valets for that. Remember Ferris Bueler's Day Off? Art definitely immitates life.

ViperKSA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every time I go to such a place, I explain to the parking attendant, I will not allow any one to drive my car :nana: ; therefore where do I park & lock and before I leave I will take care of you :D !

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why dont you just take another car to the golf course..your ego isn't that fragile is it :)

Reaction score
I used to own a valet parking company. Valets don't mind if you park it yourself so long as you take care of them with a decent tip. I usually give the guy a $20 and have it kept right out front (parking it myself). I also always make a point of letting the valet know the exact mileage so there is no temptation to sneak it out for a quick joy ride. I had to fire a few valets for that. Remember Ferris Bueler's Day Off? Art definitely immitates life.

Ditto...Me too

I pay when I arrive, I give the valet minimum $20.00, I tell him to park it up front, they always do.
Though, typically I don't take the Viper, though if I did, I would self-park up front and give the valet whatever he wanted.

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what size golf bag you have and if you put it in the trunk. I heard golf bags won't fit but I haven't tried yet. :laugh:

Santo

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Golf bags fit fine. I have an oversived cart bag that I normally use but switch to a stand bag when I'm taking out the snake.

AND... I NEVER let a valet drive my snake. I give them a $20 when I pull up and tell them I'll park it myself... up front.. where I can see it.. and I'll hit them again when I leave if they take care it.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My standard sized bag (not carrying size) fits fine. It would not fit in an RT/10 but the SRT handles it fine. 2 bags in fact.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TIP twice the amount, let them know you want to drive it, park it and keep the keys..

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda off the subject, but I had someone ask if they could drive my car, who I had never even met before! After I said no, she then says "oh come on, I just learned how to drive a manual trans. 2 days ago, I wont hurt it." :bonker: