Valve issue and used 2003 engine

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a 2003 Viper engine for a project.
This is the engine only.

What should I look for on the engine itself to determine whether I should check with DC to see if the valve problem exists and/or has been fixed? Would the engine S/N be sufficient? Do they still put the VIN on the engine these days?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I'm reasonably certain that the VIN is still engraved on the block. The Service Manual will have a diagram showing where to look. Then, just call your local Viper tech and have him run the number for service history. Is this out of a wrecked car?

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it's out of a wreck. I've already made the deal and will put a deposit today or Monday, but I need to find somebody around Phoenix who will go have a look and verify it doesn't have damage (supposedly undamaged) and that it starts.

I haven't asked the guy for the VIN yet, but I imagine he would give it to me -- but it would be nice to be able to verify. I wonder, would DC do the valve work under the recall in a situation like this...?

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are buying the engine from a wreck, do you know if the seller wants to sell the wheels and tires, that is if they are undamaged. If so I would be very interested in the sellers name or have him send me an email with details on purchasing the wheels and tires. I am looking for a second set for track tires. My car has 2,000 mile on it and I have worn out the tires already. Thats what 2 Viper Days events and club events will do to the new run flats. I can be reached via email [email protected]. I am however leaving town this afternoon for 2 weeks but will be checking my email. Please let me know. Thanks, Steve Loudin

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know, only the engine is for sale, but I will send him your e-mail address just in case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4