Valve Surgery Complete

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Thursday the 29th of May my newborn (car that is) was transported to Wilmington N.C. to undergo major valve surgery with Dr. Tom Sessions as the attending surgeon and yours truly as the physician's assistant.

The surgery was difficult, but was a complete success.

I'm sure readers of this board know from my previous posts on this topic that I was not thrilled that this "maintenance action" needed to be performed on my brand new car. The good news is that both my car and my sanity were preserved.

To help other SRT owners understand the process a bit better listed below I have included a general procedure with some pictures. A few of the steps may
be out of order, but you will get the general idea. This is my first time posting pictures so if they don't come out they can be viewed in the Media
Section under the RC Viper gallery.

Procedure:

We started by covering the fenders and front of the car with thick 100% cotton
towels to protect the finish and the battery was accessed through the trunk and disconnected.

Next we removed part of the cowl to give us more room to operate under the hood.

The airbox was removed and then the Intake Manifold (including an amazing
number of connectors and sensors).

The valve covers were next on the agenda followed by removal of the rockers and push rods.

To prepare the heads for removal; we then had to loosen the exhaust system at the collectors, so we could drop the exhaust headers. Next came the spark plug guides, wire retainers, and spark plugs.

Once the prep work was done, we then removed the actual heads and replaced the defective valves with the new valves (after cleaning up both the heads and top of the block). The difference in the defective valves and new valves is small, but I think you can see the extra line on the shiny valve. This line is the extra cut on the valve that was missing on the original factory valve.

We replaced the heads, exhaust headers, spark plugs, wires, valve covers, intake manifold, and airbox.

To finish the job we had to change the oil, replace the coolant, and
attach the exhaust. Tom removed a fuse so we could crank the engine
without it starting, to get oil circulating to the heads.

After replacing the fuse, the car fired and ran perfectly. I still have to take the car to the dyno to verify horsepower increase. My car originally dynoed with only 425 RWHP. I look forward to a dramatic increase! From the seat of my pants, I can tell you that the car did feel stronger after the valve replacement. It is interesting to note that it still idles a bit rough. The valve replacement did not improve this. The SRT idles rougher than my GTS.

Tom took the time to do the job right and to protect the cosmetic appearance of
my car. I didn't envy Tom's position. Imagine trying to work on a car with a very particular (OK anal ) owner standing right by you all day long.

A few comments:

-Yes it is possible to replace the valves without damaging the car
IF you are very careful and take the extra steps to keep from scratching
the car and throwing fluids everywhere. Tom not only covered the car
with towels, he also used a vacuum machine to empty the heads of oil
and water to ensure that when we lifted the heads they did not leak in
the engine bay.

-Given point number one above, six hours is not long enough to complete
this job. It took Tom and I over 8.5 hours of work to complete the
job. The precautions that we took added time, but were necesary.

In closing, I want to thank Tom Sessions from D&E Dodge in Wilmington NC and highly recommend him.

If you want your car done right take it to Tom. He will take care of you the way Viper owners should be treated.

306IntakeValveRepair_001-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_002-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_003-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_004-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_005-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_006-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_007-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_008-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_009-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_010-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_011-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_012-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_013-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_014-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_015-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_016-med.jpg

306IntakeValveRepair_017-med.jpg

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woo-hoo! Go Randy. Go Randy. You tore that breakdown up! Wow. Love that detail! Glad it all worked out so well for you. :)

You must be registered for see images

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
THat was perfect workmanship!

Tom Sessions, you are congratulated!

I gotta say also, that SRT has a pretty engine bay!

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dr. Tom Sessions: Job well done!!! ;)

And it also looks like the hood didn't need to be removed (vs. the clamshell type). No 'headbanging' here. :D

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were down in Wilmington Satruday doing some alignment work on H's race car and were able to see the uncut valve. As you can see above, it is noticeable to the naked eye and certainly would have an impact on airflow. Tom took the time necessary to do this job right and (sorry Randy) owner's don't come much pickier than Randy.....

Hope to have dyno results soon and see the improvement.

Bottom line here is that it CAN be done properly and without harm to your engine, but you need a very dedicated and particular tech - definitely NOT a job for someone that is going to try to get it done within the allotted 6.4 hours. D-C really needs to rethink that one - pay the tech's well ofr what they do and you'll have happy customers - my guess is happier than with a $300 gift certificate....

Reaction score
Randy thanks for the post. Tom sets the standard for what Viper owners want and expect.

DC SRT-10 tech certification should include work habits and attitude.

The Viper Nation needs more techs like Tom Sessions, Chuck Tator, etc. And they need to be identified so we know where to take our cars.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a magnificent looking engine!!! The SRT10 V10 has to be one of the best looking motors I've seen - simple but just plain horny!

Looking at those deposits on the pistons and in the chambers - a tighter quench would work wonders in there! :D Looks like it has done a bit of cold (rich) running around too... or is the fuel over there as dirty and crappy as ours?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great post, both in narrative and visuals, and I'm glad to hear everything went well. I'll look forward to seeing the dyno results, but offhand I'd expect them to be very similar to those from unaffected SRTs.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Randy,
If I can help anyone else out please feel free to call and let me know and I'll try and help get things set up.I wish I could help you guys out on the west coast better.I would recommend getting in touch with Eddie Martin at Bill Luke in Phoenix AZ he can take care of your needs out there.
Tom
D@E Dodge
Wilmington NC
910-799-4210

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work Tom. Just dropped my car off at Dick Scott Dodge in Michigan Monday for the same repair. I gave Rod Harris (service manager) a copy of this thread as it showed lots of good comments. I hope I will be as happy as Randy. It will be their first valve replacement so Rod may be calling. Ah, to be first!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave